# 1 Rated NFL Officiating Crew...

he cant have his hand in his mask...

Unfortunately is is very common for offensive players to grab face masks without a call being made. Very rare on the offensive side of the ball. McNeil was grabbing Freeney's facemask with great frequency the other night. Never called. I bet an examination of the film would show some Indy OL doing it too. That's the way it is. The NFL is about offense.

The argument about that particular play is alot like the tuck rule play. Raiders (and anti Pats) fans focus on the reversal. Pats fans point out the uncalled head slap. Plenty more things go uncalled than get called in a game. The hope is that the game is called even.

it was away from the ball on a run play...give me 1 example all year where that has been called . This kinda stuff happens on almost every play.

There was an EMPHASIS placed on defensive holding a couple of years ago (I wonder who pushed that emphasis through?), and I've seen the call at least 20 times and probably more since then.

It's the rule. The guy broke the rule. Some would say he cheated.

As a person who is happy the Chargers won, Chargers O-Line got away with a lot of holding.

sure he can, as long as he doesn't twist....

or are you saying that the "incidental facemask" rule that was changed didn't involve a facemask...

MAYHEM has a point. There is a penalty called Illegal Use of Hands to the Face which would cover this. It's most often called on Olineman who as I mentioned above put their hands on facemasks often. As I said, these calls are few and far between as is the defensive holding calls against defensive lineman. You can touch the mask but can't use it to move the head. I don't know what happened here with the Charger OLineman. I'd like to see this play again because the photo doesn't really tell the tale.

I'm entirely not sure but I don't believe this is a personal foul however. If true, in the case of this play, the personal foul would overrule the illegal use of hands. Maybe Ras can clarify this for use if he chimes in.

I've never seen a defensive linemen get pancaked and then called for defensive holding.

The facemask on Clint Session should have been offsetting penalties as he was also being facemasked.

The DH/PI (I was to enraged to be able to remember) on gates I believe was legit.

That's not why we lost but he needs to be beaten.

Sorry, Jaric, but you're wrong on both counts.

A D-linesman cannot grab a O-linesman's collar and pull him out of position. That was blatant, and was a very easy call to make. I've seen that call made several times this season alone.

The guy whose hand was on Session's facemask did not pull and twist, like Session did. By rule, a player is allowed to have a hand on the face mask as long as he doesn't pull or twist.

My problem with the calls in the SD game is that if your going to call defensive holding (line or db's) then you need to call it on the Oline holding Freeney and Mathis.

With respect to the defensive line holding, he was away from the play and had no impact on the play. JUST earlier this season, Dungy was told that they won't call offensive holding if the player being held can't affect the play. The penalty difference in the game was staggering especially for a team that doesn't commit a lot of penalties.

Atleast Ed had the balls to admit he was was wrong on the field after review. Because of the way he worded it before review he was unable to change his mistake and he acknowledged it. The worst call of the year was Scott Green in the 11-10 "first ever" ending of a game with that score.

Back