2008 schedule

Box_O_Rocks

One personality, many pieces
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/12/2008_schedule.html
2008 schedule

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff December 26, 2007 09:31 AM

With the Pittsburgh Steelers clinching the AFC North title in Week 16, that means the final piece fell into place for the 2008 New England Patriots schedule.

As part of the NFL's pre-determined scheduling formula, the Patriots already knew 11 of their 13 opponents next year. They also knew that they would play the AFC North champion at home, and the AFC South champion on the road.

So now that the Steelers have clinched the North, the final spot is filled on the 2008 schedule:

Home games
Bills
Broncos
Cardinals
Chiefs
Dolphins
Jets
Rams
Steelers

Road games
Bills
Chargers
Colts
Dolphins
49ers
Jets
Raiders
Seahawks

I can't be the only one now anticipating two consecutive undefeated seasons.

We might as well just put the next year on autopilot and start planning for 2009.

I'm not hating that schedule.

I only see three potentially tough games (PIT, SD, IND).

Can someone explain why we have to go to Indy again? I mean I like temperature controlled environments and prefer carpeting to wood floors but c'mon. ;)

The schedule has a built in "toughness". It requires us to travel to the west coast 4 times.

The AFC West and NFC West were weak this year, not to mention the rest of the AFC East. Playing both western divisions, there are going to be some long plane rides. As division champions, you expect to play four other division champions, but this year 3 of the 4 will be on the road.

The toughest looking home game is... the Steelers?

Let's just hope the schedulers don't lump all the division champions into consecutive weeks, as they did this year to the Ravens.

Fully* Tilted* on 12-26-2007 at 12:40 PM said:
Can someone explain why we have to go to Indy again? I mean I like temperature controlled environments and prefer carpeting to wood floors but c'mon. ;)

it IS pretty boring. honestly, I think the NFL is getting pretty boring. they should introduce some way of making the teams more competitive. as a Patriots fan, it's nice that they win all the time, but let's face it: it's boring. the same old same old all the time.

Fully* Tilted* on 12-26-2007 at 12:40 PM said:
Can someone explain why we have to go to Indy again?

polian.jpg

I really am tired of the schedules already set for the next decade. It is fun to look at but Pats fans in other states, it is very rare we see them especially in a NFC city.

KenJr30 on 12-26-2007 at 12:44 PM said:

Well, it was a genuine question as I thought there was some logical calculated explanation but that's a funny :thumb:

I'm probably off but it feels like we travel there quite a bit. This would be two regular season games in consecutive years. I'd like to see if we can beat Indy at home ;)

thomas144 on 12-26-2007 at 12:43 PM said:
it IS pretty boring. honestly, I think the NFL is getting pretty boring. they should introduce some way of making the teams more competitive. as a Patriots fan, it's nice that they win all the time, but let's face it: it's boring. the same old same old all the time.

I was hoping the NFL would strive for parity. Oh well. The rich get richer.

thomas144 on 12-26-2007 at 12:43 PM said:

If the same teams keep winning divisions, they keep playing each other. Would you really rather not have the Steelers and Colts on that schedule? Playing against three soft divisions, I'm a bit concerned that we won't see much of a tune up for the playoffs.

The Colts and Patriots have solid coaching, front offices that can bring in solid players, and have managed to find great quarterbacks. What does one do to prevent them from continuing to field good teams? The Indy Star forums recently featured a thread claiming 2007 as a 'rebuilding year' for the Colts. Lots of young players saw playing time due to the injuries. Salary cap in decent shape. So long as Peyton is playing, they seem to think they'll be in good shape.

Can't say they are too far wrong on that.

For the most part I like the current scheme for setting up a schedule. I don't care for the way home and away is decided for the two games against teams in the same conference with the same last year division record. From 2004 through 2006, the Colts came to Foxboro three years in a row. 2007 through 2009, we go to Indy. There ought to be a way to break that up?

sonsofkraftybob on 12-26-2007 at 12:48 PM said:
4 west coast trips. Goodell counterpunches.

There is definately and "L" in one of those games.

The only thing worse than four West Coast games is four West Coast NIGHT games....

Oh snap, that means I can have my choice of making it to the Raiders and 49er's game? Paging OBF, Paging OBF!!!

we r not the only teams

i kno the jets hav the sam thing

Some of them look tough. On the other hand, it doesn't look as tough as this year's schedule, and they're on their way to 16-0.

Of the home games, they should have no problem with any of them. The toughest is easily the Steelers. Even the nemesis Broncos shouldn't be as tough since it's not at Mile High.

The Niners, Raiders, and Seahawks shouldn't be too tough, either. Biggest two "L" candidates there are obviously Indy and San Diego.

Back