2015: Training Camp

It doesn't matter if it's non-contact or not, Butler was getting repeatedly burned by his man. Just like everyone is quick to jump on every positive in TC, you have to also take the negative; you can't just dismiss it as "oh it's just practice."

If you're not concerned about Butler going up against teams #1 WRs every game and/or our CB grouping as a whole, you're not being realistic. That group is going to be at best, mediocre. Right now I'm just praying the rest of the team will be good enough to compensate, but it's very difficult for a team to win a championship when there is as glaring a deficit of talent at CB as we have, not to mention the RB group.

The sky fell

Man. Tyms gone. Dobson still in a fvcking tub!

Moss looks like he's still in playing shape.

Why not try?
I'd like to see them hire Randy as a consultant. Lord knows they need help at developing WRs.

:)

The 2 TEs, Moss & Edelman, with Blount bulldozing?

That's a 70burger on Indy.

Moss can't run any more. His trick was his speed. He didn't have it when he last played in 2012 in San Fran either. He had only 3TDs that year.

Moss can't run any more. His trick was his speed. He didn't have it when he last played in 2012 in San Fran either. He had only 3TDs that year.

Maybe that was Colin Kapernick.

We heard similar stuff when he was in Oakland with suck QBs there too.

Yeah. Tony always knows. Better listen. I'm going back to bed, be back for the NHL playoffs. Maybe we can get lucky and make those.

Cheers, BostonTim

I think anyone who follows the team knows that CB is going to be a huge issue for us this season, including yourself. You're just being combative for the sake of it.

You're just being combative for the sake of it.

Let me try to be nice. You NOT only tell us what you think but make it a habit of telling us that if we don't agree with you there's something wrong with us. When I mock you (not combative, just dismissive) it's precisely because you've gone and told us all what to think again.

You say:

If you're not concerned about Butler going up against teams #1 WRs every game and/or our CB grouping as a whole, you're not being realistic.

I say if you aren't highly optimistic that deficiencies such as they are (and such as the course of time shall outline) aside, Bill and Tom are more likely than not to be in the hunt at the end.

I realize that noone will measure up to Revis, and I realize we lost a decent and useful (certainly not great) piece in Browner. But I don't know how well the people we do have can be coached up in the appropriate scheme to succeed or at least hold their own while the other standout parts of this fine team take care of business. Year after year this team has functioned well with outageous deficiencies. No one closely resmebling a NFL receiver; noone to stop the run. No one to pressure the QB, noone to defend a pass play. year in and year out it's something. So I am more optimistic than not and as of now, NOT terribly worried.

And then of course after someone challenges your tone and condesension, you then have to explain to him that the reason they are "combative" (you always brand by the way, you're a veritable spinmaster) is just for the sake of it. For shits and giggles. Because how in the world could anyone disagree with tonyto? "Moi?", I can here you saying, "you are madbro at MOI?"

Jeff Howe gives us a lot of food for thought. I've highlighted some that caught my eye - both good and bad.
(although it would be better had he given us the amount of days practiced or the number of snaps played - unwieldy for sure, but only 1 dimensional without that.)

The Patriots have completed their 16th and final practice of training camp. Here is our collection of stats from all team drills (7-on-7s and 11-on-11s).
Quarterbacks:
Tom Brady: 276 of 356 (77.5 percent), 4 interceptions
Jimmy Garoppolo: 235 of 359 (65.5 percent), 11 interceptions
Ryan Lindley: 36 of 66 (54.5 percent), 4 interceptions

The following 23 players caught passes from Brady:
TE Rob Gronkowski: 45 receptions
WR Danny Amendola: 41
WR Brandon Gibson: 29
WR Josh Boyce: 26
RB Brandon Bolden: 17

WR Julian Edelman: 15
TE Scott Chandler: 14
RB James White: 12
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: 12
RB Jonas Gray: 11
WR Aaron Dobson: 10
WR Brian Tyms: 6
RB Travaris Cadet: 5
WR Chris Harper: 5
WR Jonathan Krause: 5
RB Dion Lewis: 4
RB LeGarrette Blount: 4
FB James Develin: 3
TE Jake Bequette: 3
WR Matthew Slater: 3
RB Tyler Gaffney: 2
TE Jimmay Mundine: 2
WR Zach D’Orazio: 1

Positional breakdown of Brady’s completions:
Wide receivers: 10 players caught 141 passes
Tight ends: 5 players caught 76 passes
Running backs/fullbacks: 8 players caught 58 passes

Defensive stats:
S Tavon Wilson: 4 interceptions, 4 pass breakups (8 total pass defenses)
CB Tarell Brown: 2 interceptions, 3 pass breakups (5 total pass defenses)
LB Jamie Collins: 2 interceptions, 2 pass breakups (4 total pass defenses), 1 forced fumble
S Duron Harmon: 2 interceptions, 1 pass breakup (3 total pass defenses)
S Devin McCourty: 2 interceptions
CB Malcolm Butler: 1 interception, 7 pass breakups (8 total pass defenses)
CB Logan Ryan: 1 interception, 4 pass breakups (5 total pass defenses)
CB Bradley Fletcher: 1 interception, 4 pass breakups (5 total pass defenses)
LB Dont'a Hightower: 1 interception, 1 forced fumble
S Jordan Richards: 1 interception, 1 pass breakup (2 total pass defenses)
S Nate Ebner: 1 interception, 1 pass breakup (2 total pass defenses)
CB Darryl Roberts: 10 pass breakups
CB Jimmy Jean: 2 pass breakups
LB Jonathan Freeny: 2 pass breakups
S Patrick Chung: 2 pass breakups
CB Robert McClain: 1 pass breakup

DE Trey Flowers: 1 pass breakup
CB Dax Swanson: 1 pass breakup
LB Matt Wells: 1 pass breakup
https://www.bostonherald.com/sports...w_the_patriots_performed_during_training_camp

Brady was pretty much pinpoint & JG was at least avg and serviceable if he can get his ints down.

Amendola had a very productive camp. I don't know why he didn't get more media kudos.
Gibson had a good camp, too, and Boyce's numbers ended up pretty good. Here's where number of targets would be especially revealing since both players got a lot more targets than they would have had LaFell, Edelman and Dobson been on the field more.
I'm keeping Amendola who is positioned to have a productive year. I'm buying Gibson as of now but he has more to show to earn a spot. Boyce's well reported drops don't show up here but he still has a little time to right himself. Boyce and Dobson are still on my hold-as-of-now list pending further play. LaFell's health is a question mark for us.

Bolden, I'm told, has opened some coaches eyes with his receiving dependability with more catches than any other RB with 17. Gray having 11 and White having 12? Come on, James! # of attempts would help there too. What happened to Cadet and Lewis? They were supposed to push for Vereen's job but didn't.
I'm buying Bolden and Gray, keeping White and selling Cadet and Lewis by these results.

On D, no one had more passes defensed than super athletic rookie CB Darryl Roberts with 10. Next came, surprise, S Tavon Wilson and Malcolm Butler with 8. TWilson had 6 more than last year's starters DMac and Chung and 6 more than Nate Ebner. I have been told TWilson, like Amendola, had a quietly great camp. This kinda shows it although # of snaps would give it better focus.
Nevertheless I'm buying Roberts, Butler and Wilson and I may be selling Ebner depending on where he falls on the 53. I'm keeping Fletcher and Ryan.

I expected more from veteran CB Robert McClain and young Dax Swanson. Again, #s of snaps/targets would give more clarity. As of now McClain is out and Swanson goes back to the PS.

Back