2015, Week 15 - The Titans Are Next

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
The Titans are 3-10 with a notable victory over the Saints in NOrleans.
But:

• The Titans allow a touchdown once every 14.4 pass attempts, the second worst behind only New Orleans (12.4).
  • Brady averaged 17.5 points per game in the eight games that New England has been favored by 14 or more points since the 2008 season.
  • Rob Gronkowski returned to play 62.3 percent of the snaps last week. He had played on 83.7 percent of snaps prior to injury.
  • Brandon Bolden played 49 snaps last week to 25 for James White.
  • Over the past four weeks, White has seven red zone touches to three each for LeGarrette Blount and Brandon Bolden.
  • White has converted four of those touches for touchdowns while neither Blount nor Bolden has scored.
  • Despite scoring on just 4.0 percent of his targets, Delanie Walker is still sixth in points per target (1.87 points) of all tight ends with 50 or more targets on the season.
  • Walker averages 85.0 receiving yards per game over the past six weeks, the most of all tight ends.
  • Since allowing 84 yards to Heath Miller in Week 1, the Patriots have allowed just one tight end (Will Tye, 56 yards) to reach 50 receiving yards in a game.
  • After averaging 14.9 points with one top-12 scoring week through his first five games, Marcus Mariota has averaged 22.8 points with four top-12 scoring weeks over his past six games played.

Trust: Tom Brady (historically New England has pounded the ball in games where they are favored to this degree, but his floor and the matchup are worth salivating over and bucking that trend), Rob Gronkowski (in a position littered with low floors, he showed why you always roll him out, even when it takes a step of faith), Danny Amendola (after Gronk, he’s next in line and we like this offense overall)

Bust: Marcus Mariota (this can go two ways, one where he stacks late production or the game just gets buried like it was for him last week and we can’t count on another 10 points from the receiving game, but I generally don’t like pursuing quarterbacks that can face this much of a negative game script on paper), Titans running backs (there may be a case to be made for Dexter McCluster given the usage of Darren Sproles and Jonathan Grimes the past two weeks, but you’re taking a deep swing for not much of a ceiling here)

Reasonable Return: Delanie Walker (even in a rougher paper play, he’s still the only steady pass catcher here in a game that should feature plenty of attempts), Brandon LaFell (he’s been brutal, but the implied point total weakness for Tennessee means there could be a piece for just about anyone), Brandon Bolden (potential script points to this being a game where a back grinds work late and that would seem to point to Bolden who has worked ahead of White except for most no huddle situations), James White (has had two, four, five and six touches outside of his 12 touch game when game script was extremely negative, but more opportunity is open to keep him as a flex option)

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/58857/478/the-worksheet-week-15?pg=2

Our offense should be able to build on the good performance in the Texans game. 14 points is a big spread but the Pats should be able to cover.

Wednesday's injury report:

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
RB LeGarrette Blount (hip)
LB Jonathan Freeny (hand)
S Devin McCourty (ankle)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
WR Danny Amendola (knee)
TE Scott Chandler (knee)
S Patrick Chung (foot)
CB Justin Coleman (hand)
WR Julian Edelman (foot)
LB Dont'a Hightower (knee)
OL Josh Kline (shoulder)
WR Matthew Slater (stinger)

FULL PARTICIPATION
TE Rob Gronkowski (knee)
DE Chandler Jones (abdomen)

TENNESSEE TITANS

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
NT Sammie Hill (knee)
DT Mike Martin (knee)
LB Derrick Morgan (shoulder)
S Da'Norris Searcy (hamstring)
WR Kendall Wright (ribs)

Stack the box, beat the dogshit out of Walker at the line, keep Mariota in the pocket.

That should do it. :coffee:

This game should be similar to the Texans game in terms of how the Pats should dominate. Smother TN up front, keep Mariota in pocket and then let Brady pick them apart. I am wondering if there is a chance Edelman plays in this game. He was at the padded practice yesterday though he was limited. That would be amazing if he back this soon.

Don't worry. DA will be limping and diving around the field to fair catch everything at this point. (I think)

Could be but if ever there were a game for Martin to play to gain confidence, this is it. I think I'd play Martin & let him gain confidence while DAmendola gets some much needed rest from the kicking game.

Could be but if ever there were a game for Martin to play to gain confidence, this is it. I think I'd play Martin & let him gain confidence while DAmendola gets some much needed rest from the kicking game.

That's the "I think" part.

Maybe DA dives around until the Patriots get a lead, and then we see Martin.

This game sets up even better than the Texans game. The Titans "one guy" is a tight end, albeit a good one in Delanie Walker. He's not Gronkowski, obviously, but he's pretty damned good.

They've done pretty well with scrambling QBs this year, to my surprise, and I don't see why it should be much different, so long as they're not using Mayo to spy (that's always been a disaster), and so long as Ninkovich doesn't spend the game getting dominated by a dogshit right tackle again.

Mariota can throw pretty well from the pocket though. The downside for him is that he's locked into Delanie Walker now, to the virtual exclusion of everyone else. 3rd down, or in a big spot, that's where he's going. (Think Bledsoe/Coates here, it's pretty similar).

Their backs (Andrews, Sankey, Cobb, West) are nothing spectacular, but I think that's more a product of their line than their talent. Sankey in particular could be pretty good if he were on another team I think.

The Patriots front 4 should get pressure without blitzing, and they should be able to stop the run in nickel. They get the benefit of a season-ending injury to Tommy Binky Dexter McCluster, as well.

Their defense is pretty damned decent, run and pass. That d-line can be pushed around a bit, but that back 7 is pretty good, with Wesley Woodyard and Brian Orakpo having career-resurgence type seasons. Even so, this should be a team the Patriots can move the ball against. The Jags ran for a couple of bills on them, and the Colts and Saints had big passing days.

I think they're officially eliminated from AFC South contention, so they aren't going to be playing for much, and this is the second of a back-to-back road trip for them. This is also the last home game until the playoffs for the Patriots.

Patriots are favored by 14, and in reality, even if they rolled out the practice squad on offense, they should cover that number. I don't know if they will though. 21-10, or something like that, after getting out like 21-3 at one point. They get ahead, the Titans get one-dimensional, blah blah blah, you all have seen this movie before.

They're 3-10, but it's not a talentless team, and the Patriots still need moar timez to figure shit out, so this will probably be one of those weeks where the chicken littles complain about how they "almost lost" and all that crap, and that the Jets are gonna kick our ass, blah blah.

You know that story too. :coffee:

This game should be similar to the Texans game in terms of how the Pats should dominate. Smother TN up front, keep Mariota in pocket and then let Brady pick them apart. I am wondering if there is a chance Edelman plays in this game. He was at the padded practice yesterday though he was limited. That would be amazing if he back this soon.

I hope Edelman doesn't play. That foot needs to be fully healed before I want to see him out there. They don't need him this week, give that foot at least one more week, at least.......

I thought this was humorous

"Tennessee Titans (3-10) at New England Patriots (11-2): This might be Bill Belichick’s greatest challenge. They say he takes away the thing you do best. But with the Titans, he has to spend all week just trying to figure out what the heck that is."

Well, it's Mariota and his ability to pass and run. Tommy said earlier the Pats will have to contain him and that's spot on. So stop their run and contain Mariota simultaneously while our DBs do their job on the back end. Mariota has some skills.

I thought this was humorous

"Tennessee Titans (3-10) at New England Patriots (11-2): This might be Bill Belichick’s greatest challenge. They say he takes away the thing you do best. But with the Titans, he has to spend all week just trying to figure out what the heck that is."

Well, it's Mariota and his ability to pass and run. Tommy said earlier the Pats will have to contain him and that's spot on. So stop their run and contain Mariota simultaneously while our DBs do their job on the back end. Mariota has some skills.

Mostly, they just have to totally blanket Delanie Walker wherever he is. If they do that, and the pass rush keeps Mariota in the pocket, they could end up with a ton of sacks.

If Ninkovich does his patented "almost running down the QB even though you're 10 yards away" thing, they've got trouble. Mariota's not just fast, he's good at running, as in, he knows what he's doing with the ball under his arm.

:huh:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Titans just wrapped up practice on Wednesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park. On Sunday, the team will face the Patriots.

Three quick hits after today's practice:

Facing Gronk

Slowing down Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is priority No.1 for the Titans on Sunday.

To do that, they'll need to slow down No.87 - Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. And that's easier said than done.

Gronkowski has 61 catches for 1,018 yards and 10 touchdowns on the season. With his enormous size (6-6, 265) he's a tough matchup.

"Size, speed, smart, (he's) a very patient route runner,'' Titans interim coach Mike Mularkey said of Gronkowski. "He knows he's going to get jammed, disrupted at the line of scrimmage ... He doesn't panic, and he sets up his moves very well. This is all for a guy who can run for a big tight end."

So how do teams defend him?

"It's a tough matchup for whoever you put out there -- linebacker, safeties, anybody,'' Mularkey said. "I think you have to change your defenses up. Their scheme is to try and find the mismatch, someway, somehow. And it really is a mismatch unless you put two on him, tightly on him. So it will be a challenge."

Mularkey said the Titans must do a good job tackling him as well.

"We need to rally to the ball,'' Mularkey said. "Every team that I have seen him face has had a problem tackling him. Every team."

I mean, they have to try to cover him. This isn't Rex saying they're putting Kong on him, or Denver telling us that they have a plan.

Actually from what I gather, they might go too far and triple Gronk, leaving people open as a result.

Back