2020 - Playoff Thread

It's a bit early, but we can track movements up and down the likely fixtures week by week.

If the season ended now, this is what we'd get with the new 7 teams per conference format. Only 1st seed gets the bye. Some intriguing matchups, in the AFC I think our Buffalo pals would be a bit nervous going up against the Browns. Which is some statement to make.

Annotation 2020-12-01 162622.jpg

Introducing Allen is a strawman. I see no one praising Allen .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In what way? A strawman is when you argue against something you put forth rather than what the other person actually said or argued. So for example, let's say one person said they thought the NFL should do the 14 team playoff format all the time, because it enhances the potential for playoff-impacting games later in the season and gives teams like the Browns a chance to make a run, adding excitement and intrigue. A strawman would be someone arguing back that player safety is more important than ratings and folks shouldn't worship the almighty dollar to the point where they're willing to compromise player safety. There's a discussion to be had there, but the original person never argued that ratings were more important, the entire argument the second person is constructing is of their own doing.

Or as another example, let's say someone indicated a player performed terribly, and that everyone would be blasting that person were it not for who they were. A response directly to that argument might put forth someone else who had a comparable performance, who was not in fact being blasted. A strawman, conversely, would be a response to that arguing that others are not praising that person, since the idea of others praising that person was never argued by either party and was in no way the issue at hand. The idea being to construct such an argument and attack it as wrong if you can't actually respond to the argument made, as a distraction or misdirection.

See, introducing Allen is a strawman if I'm distorting or misrepresenting your position that "If ANY other QB had a 55% completion % for 199 yards, you’d roast them". Rather, I'm offering to you someone of comparable performance. Find the roasting, if that's true. If not, feel free to actually address the issue at hand rather than constructing strawman of your own whenever you're ready.

(As a note, just want to make clear, I have zero beefs, I hope you're not offended by the pushback, especially as I'm not fired up about this at all. I'm just debating where I see a debate to be had and besides I'm not going to let claims I'm erecting strawmen slide especially when I see irony in that assertion)

How does it feel to parrot what Colts/Jets fans said for years? LOL

So you disagree that the defense didn’t set up every TD? That they had more of an impact?

Tell me, why is it that you and Middie can’t admit to something that many can clearly see?
There’s nothing wrong with saying that a QB had to be carried in one game.
Brady carried the TB defense for much of the season; what’s so scary about saying the reverse?

Your inability to argue once again reads its ugly head.
Where have I made the argument that it’s an all season long issue, Middie?

Where?

LEARN TO READ.

You dare include yourself ? That’s hilarious.

Show me where I said Brady is always carried by his defense.

Because it was Tyreek Hill. He already broke his sons arm, so shoving a coach is in the bottom of the bad things he's done.

There is no doubt that Brady wasn't stellar v the Saints, but he didn't have to be. He has a fairly complete looking team around him.

Rodgers was at times comically good v the Rams. There are times he makes it look almost laughably easy, the way he moves around the pocket and fires off these effortless passes that land on a dime. The Pack will be firm favourites in the NFCCG with the media and the bookies.

But....here's the thing. A really great QB can have an outsized influence on a team that goes far beyond his physical and even mental abilities. Peyton Manning did it with Denver, even when his arm was a noodle, he was still the leader on the field that got the Donks to 2 SBs, winning one of them. Even though their incredible defence was the key factor for their SB win, Manning was still the skipper guiding the whole team even though he could barely throw the ball. And Brady is in far better shape than Manning was in that last season. Brady is driving that Bucs team and still able to play good football.

Brady will relish this game, he likes nothing better when he's being written off and not given a real chance. Don't be surprised if he puts in one the great performances in Lambeau and gets the win. The most unsurprised people anywhere if that happens will be the fans of the Patriots. We saw it for 19 years.

Back