Dan Pires

Reaction score
The first sign of life in Foxboro...

PATRIOTS SIGN FREE AGENT WR RECHE CALDWELL

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots signed unrestricted
free agent wide receiver Reche Caldwell today. Terms of the agreement were
not disclosed.
Caldwell, 26, will enter his fifth NFL season in 2006 and joins the
Patriots after spending his first four seasons with the San Diego Chargers.
The 6-foot, 215-pound wide receiver has played in 47 career games with 14
starts and has caught 76 passes for 950 yards and seven touchdowns. He has
recorded seven career catches of 30 yards or longer. Last season with the
Chargers, Caldwell established career highs with 28 receptions and 352 yards
while playing in all 16 games with two starts.
The Tampa, Fla. native was originally drafted by the Chargers in the
second round (48th overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft out of the University of
Florida. As a rookie in 2002, Caldwell played in every game and earned two
starts while recording 22 receptions for 208 yards and three touchdowns,
including a game-winning grab in the final minute of a game against Kansas
City. He showcased his versatility that season by also returning nine
kickoffs for 220 yards, completing a 20-yard pass and recording a pair of
special teams tackles. In 2003, Caldwell played in nine games with four
starts while catching eight passes for 80 yards. In 2004, he started the
first six games of the year and led all San Diego wide receivers with 18
receptions for 310 yards and three touchdowns over that span before
suffering a season-ending injury on Oct. 17, 2004. Just two weeks earlier,
Caldwell had turned in the most productive game of his career, totaling 110
yards on three catches against the Tennessee Titans (10/3/04), including a
career-long 58-yard touchdown reception. Last season, Caldwell played in
every game (starting two) and set career highs in receptions (28) and
receiving yards (352). He set a season high with 97 yards on four catches
against Philadelphia (10/23/05), and added a 28-yard touchdown catch against
the Patriots at Gillette Stadium (10/02/05).
PRONUNCIATION: Reche = REE-shay

RECHE CALDWELL
Pos: WR Yr: 5th Ht: 6-0 Wt: 215 lbs College: Florida Born:
3/28/79 Hometown: Tampa, Fla.

RECEIVING RUSHING KICK RETURNS PUNT RETURNS
Year Tm P/S Rec Yds Avg Lg TD Rsh Yds
Avg Lg TD KR Yds Avg Lg TD PR FC
Yds Avg Lg TD
2002 SD 16/2 22 208 9.5 26 3 2 9
4.5 6 0 9 220 24.4 39 0 2 0
-2 -1 0 0
2003 SD 9/4 8 80 10 15 0 5 39
7.8 14 0 - - - - - - -
- - - -

2004 SD 6/6 18 310 17.2 58t 3 4 45
11.3 20 0 - - - - - - -
- - - -

2005 SD 16/2 28 352 12.6 43 1 2 10
5 7 0 3 99 33 60 0 0 0
0 - - 0
Totals 47/14 76 950 12.5 58t 7 13 103
7.9 20 0 12 319 26.6 60 0 2 0
-2 -1 0 0

Additional Statistics: 2002 Passing - 1 att, 1 cmp, 20 yds, 0 TD.

Well, it is something. Would love to hear what kind of contract it is.

Thanks Dan

I am glad to see someone come aboard, anyone know how he projected coming out of college?

can he down field block?

is he a spread the field or over the middle type?

found this:

Reche Caldwell Q&A

Wide receiver Reche Caldwell is the next Charger to answer selected questions from fans. The 6-0, 215-pound third-year player from the University of Florida has come back with a vengeance after an injury-plagued sophomore season in 2003.

The talent that Caldwell flashed as a rookie, when he totaled 22 catches for 208 yards (9.5 avg.) and three touchdowns, has reappeared in training camp. On Saturday versus the Indianapolis Colts, Caldwell led the Chargers with 61 receiving yards on three catches in limited work.

Reche, what do you do to focus before and during a game? - Chris Herat

I try to concentrate on my assignment, and what I need to do to execute my assignment. I just try to take mental reps on what’s going to be called during a game.

Reche, do you like how you are stacked up in the new Madden 2005 video game? - Bernard Davey

No! They have my speed way too slow. They have me at like 87 on the speed meter. I know I’m a lot faster than that. I don’t like it.

Reche, what has been the biggest adjustment coming to the NFL out of college? - Robert F. Wilson

I think that the speed of the game is a lot different. It’s a lot faster in the NFL and there are a lot better athletes here.

Reche, what would you tell a young wide receiver is the most important skill to focus on? - Brett Johnson (Modesto, Calif.)

I tell kids to work hard every day and practice. Focus on your job and what you have to do. But mostly, just work hard every day. Also, great players know what their assignment is every play.

Reche, do you feel like you need to have a breakout year for the Chargers to be successful? - Rod Wagner

I think we have enough good players that we’ll be successful whether I have a breakout year or not. I would definitely like to have a breakthrough season, though, because that would make us even better.

Reche, if you had to put an emphasis on one aspect of your game, what would that be? - Jason Yantha

That’s easy--running precise routes every play. It’s important for me to know my assignments and know what my teammates have to do each play.

Reche, what team was it the hardest to catch balls against last year? - Mike Finch (Yuma, Ariz.)

All of the teams in the NFL are tough. They all have good cornerbacks, too, so there really isn’t any team that sticks out in my mind more than any others.

Reche, which cornerback do you look forward to facing the most this year? - Virgil A. Abueg

All of them. I like competition, so I’m looking forward to all of them.

Reche, in which area have the Chargers improved the most this season? - Thomas Hayes (Sunnyside, Wash.)

The entire team has gotten better. Everyone is out here competing more than before. Everyone is out here trying to win ball games. Winning is everyone’s main priority.

Reche, were you surprised at how much faster the NFL was than the SEC in your rookie year? - Chuck Sanford (Tallahassee, Fla.)

Yeah, I was surprised. There are linemen that run plays down from the backfield, and some of them can catch wide receivers and running backs. Overall, the game is a lot faster than college. Everybody on the field has to be able to run. There are a lot of good athletes.

Reche, what are your favorite hobbies during the offseason? - Joey Jamias (San Diego, Calif.)

I like to play basketball and play video games. I also like to fix up old-school cars. That’s my favorite thing to do off the field.

Q & A

I've solicited some thoughts from Chargers fans. This is the best response so far:

He was a receiver we took in the 3rd round several years back, and he never lived up to the hype, never really developed into a starting wideout. He held a starting position in 2004 until Week 4 or 5 when he was injured. After he came back in 2005, he fumbled a pass deep in Eagles territory that might have won the game for the Chargers against Philly, and he repeated that manuever the following week against KC, although San Diego won that game. He was a coaching discipline problem last season, constantly dogged it in practice, which is why the Chargers let him go. If he has clauses in his NE contract requiring him to give 100% in mini camps and practice, he might be a good 3rd or 4th receiver for your team.

I like this signing a lot. Reche Caldwell is a gifted athlete that has a lot of "upside". I'm sure the contract is for short money, and he's a nice addition to the receiving corps. He is not a #1 receiver, probably not even a #2 at this point in his career. But he is a good addition to this team and adds depth at a much needed position.

I like it.

Another:

Caldwell is the kind of guy who seems to perpetually have the term "potential" tagged onto his name. The dude has a ton of it. But his flashes of greatness are always haunted by episodes of disappointment, sometimes at the worst possible moment. And as already stated, his attitude is that of a cocky WR who's success is well established in the league. Showing up late to meetings where he kicks his feet up and takes the "yeah yeah, whatever" kind of attitude. Like he's "already there". He's not. He could be if this trade proves to be a wake up call, he certainly has the potential. A change of scenery, a new system and perhaps a little more discipline and Reche Caldwell may indeed prove to be a good aquisition for you guys, if he wakes up and truly applies himself - which he never really did here in SD.

Hey boys--saw you dropped in Undertaker so I figured I'd copy what I spoke about at my house.

First--some Reche pics for all of you. Not a ton, just som to whet yer appetite. I opened them up to allow Guest viewing for you all.

Link

Now on to my opinion:

Reche was doing great 2 years ago and then he got injured. Last year he dropped some yeally important passes or fumbled them. See this video at the end. He was in Marty's doghouse for most of the year and played sparingly.

He can be good, even great, if he keeps his head in the game.

Enjoy--and good luck next year

Thanks Glorify.

He is going to have to pick a new number. :)

I like his answers to the Q&A, but I'm troubled by the stories about his arrogance. Might the disparity reflect maturation over time?

A year ago, I thought David Terrell was going to do well with the Pats because--I thought--he needed his time in Chicago to develop a professional mindset. Caldwell might be the same. Unfortunately, I was apparently wrong about Terrell (though he was injured in training camp and perhaps would have made it had he stayed healthy).

Anyone want to compare & contrast Terrell vs. Caldwell?

--James

Well, with any luck he'll be one of those guys that underperforms with one team but takes off with another team, like Jim Plunkett.

glorify said:
He can be good, even great, if he keeps his head in the game.

Sounds like a 3rd receiver at best to me.

My guess is BB signs a better WR and Bethel is stuck with the same job he's always had.

BTW: Hi Glorify! :wave:

It's been awhile since I visited your board.

#54 said:
Sounds like a 3rd receiver at best to me.

I have to agree. And I'm not really impressed. According to the Herald, the man can't block at all. And he's injury prone. I had him as one of my WRs two years ago. Big mistake.

And guess what? He scored ONE TD last year, and it was against the venerable Duane Starks. If he's our #3, we're in trouble.

Reche, as a Patriots season ticket holder, and an attendee at public training camp sessions, I'd like to welcome you to the 3-time Lombardi trophy winning New England Patriots. Listen carefully to your coaches, practice hard with a purpose, and make us proud that you wear a Patriots uniform.

This guy is a STmer all the way. He will have to prove his toughness on the bomb squad to even sniff an offensive snap.

His best attribute is his kick retuning, so a replacement for the lack of production there. I think his average over 4 season is about 29 yds/return, with a long of 60.

I don't see him as any more than Bethel, kind of a curious pick from my take. Must have b een on the cheep.

Maybe all this talk of the Pats being cheep is not just talk.

runnerone said:
This guy is a STmer all the way. He will have to prove his toughness on the bomb squad to even sniff an offensive snap.

His best attribute is his kick retuning, so a replacement for the lack of production there. I think his average over 4 season is about 29 yds/return, with a long of 60.

I don't see him as any more than Bethel, kind of a curious pick from my take. Must have b een on the cheep.

Maybe all this talk of the Pats being cheep is not just talk.

Even if he is just a special teams guy, if the price is right, what's wrong with that if he can perform on ST's?

We already lost Chatam, haven't resigned Dwight, may lose Troy Brown so there certainly are holes on ST's to fill.

Back