3 year deal for Hoyer

I like Hoyer. He works hard and he's better than most people give him credit for. I hope he stays on the sidelines but if Brady goes down, there's no guarantee Jimmy G. would have kept the ship afloat, so Hoyer's fine as our back-up.

Maybe BB feels a kinship with him. After all, they were both screwed by the Browns. :D

I like Hoyer. He works hard and he's better than most people give him credit for. I hope he stays on the sidelines but if Brady goes down, there's no guarantee Jimmy G. would have kept the ship afloat, so Hoyer's fine as our back-up.

Maybe BB feels a kinship with him. After all, they were both screwed by the Browns. :D

I agree. It could have been worse they could have signed Mr. butt fumble Sanchez or that civil rights leader Colin K. I'm ok with Hoyer as the back up.

I think Kraft says Brady retires a Patriot.

I think it’s important to Krafty.

And I think he has faith the group in place will acquire the successor.

I'll go one further. It means Brady retires at the end of his contract, because, I think, Hoyer is here a year beyond that now, potentially as insurance to the new guy, whomever he may be.

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Hoyer a career backup. His most success happened being the browns QB.

Gee, good thing he's here to be a backup then.

Did you think we were bringing in Matt Ryan or something?

I'll go one further. It means Brady retires at the end of his contract, because, I think, Hoyer is here a year beyond that now, potentially as insurance to the new guy, whomever he may be.

I think Brady will sign an extension soon, if only to make the cap number more manageable.

With regard to Hoyer, I think he's ideally part of a two year transition plan: this year and next to be the primary back-up and allow whoever they draft to be brought along slowly. The third year is likely just there for emergency/cap purposes.

I'll be shocked if there is any expectation that Brian is here beyond Brady.

I think Brady will sign an extension soon, if only to make the cap number more manageable.

With regard to Hoyer, I think he's ideally part of a two year transition plan: this year and next to be the primary back-up and allow whoever they draft to be brought along slowly. The third year is likely just there for emergency/cap purposes.

I'll be shocked if there is any expectation that Brian is here beyond Brady.

As Tommy said, the new kid will need a backup too.

I could see Hoyer here for quite some time actually.

Whos' Who

One is Elite, The other, new backup qb for the Patriots.

#1 GP-8, 1290 Yds, 6 td's, 8 Int's, 17 sacks.

#2 GP-6, 1245 yds, 4 td's, 4 Int's, 16 sacks.

Hint..... #1 is just your average joe :cool:

so does anyone know how much Hoyer is costing the team

Brian Hoyer total salaries:
’17 — $7.776M ($7.3M from SF, $476K from NE);
’18 — $3.815M ($2.9M from SF, $915K from NE);
’19 — $3.05M from NE

Just damn :eek:

Hoyer is making his money. He had offset language from SF's contract.

’19 — $3.05M from NE

So the Pats are pretty much paying him minimum, with a small balloon third year when they can re-evaluate.

As Tommy said, the new kid will need a backup too.

I could see Hoyer here for quite some time actually.

Nah, the pattern is pretty clear: new guy is 3rd as a rookie, then he moves up a year later and bumps the prior #2 off the roster, leaving NE with just two QBs until the situation calls for another. The fact that Hoyer suddenly triples in cost in that 3rd year makes it that much less likely he'll see it.

Nah, the pattern is pretty clear: new guy is 3rd as a rookie, then he moves up a year later and bumps the prior #2 off the roster, leaving NE with just two QBs until the situation calls for another. The fact that Hoyer suddenly triples in cost in that 3rd year makes it that much less likely he'll see it.

Then accounting for TB leaving by year 3 you’ll hope to have a veteran backup in place for this coming draftees elevation to starter?

Familiar with the system?

And for $3 mil?

Look around. That’s rare.

Then accounting for TB leaving by year 3 you’ll hope to have a veteran backup in place for this coming draftees elevation to starter?

Familiar with the system?

And for $3 mil?

Look around. That’s rare.

stuff like this is why I maintained a level head while many others were losing theirs. How many times has BFB done something like this? He's playing chess on that multi-level chess board from Star Trek while the other GMs around the league are playing checkers (well, to be fair, the Insane Clown Posse in Cleveland's FO is playing Chutes and Ladders)

So the Pats are pretty much paying him minimum, with a small balloon third year when they can re-evaluate.

Yes, the 49ers are paying Hoyer to be the Patriots back-up for 2017 and 2018.

There was no reason for the Pats not to sign him to the 3 year deal.

’19 — $3.05M from NE

So, the Pats effectively got a high 2nd round pick and a solid, veteran QB who already has familiarity with their offense for a guy who has played 6 quarters in his entire NFL career (granted, 6 impressive quarters...but I once again refer you to matt Flynn). And some people thought Belichick got screwed in this deal...:ROFL: :ROFL: ROFL

Back