4 Potential Landing Spots for Calvin Johnson

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-4-potential-landing-spots-for-calvin-johnson.html/?a=viewall

Detroit Lions star wide receiver, Calvin Johnson, wrapped up another strong campaign that helped him earn his sixth Pro Bowl in his illustrious nine-year career. It marked the sixth straight season with at least 1,000 receiving yards and 70 catches. However, Sunday’s season finale 24-20 win over the Chicago Bears could also signal the end of his tenure with the Lions. Johnson is still one of the league’s top receivers, but the team could save $11.1 million on the cap by releasing him.

There’s also no hiding the fact that he’s now 30 years old. His production could dip as he enters the latter part of his career, which warrants the possibility of the team looking to either restructure his current deal or ask him to take a pay cut. If neither of those scenarios plays out, there is a strong chance that he will suit up elsewhere in 2016. Here are four potential landing spots for Megatron next season.

1. New England Patriots

As long as Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are at the helm, the Patriots will be a team in the conversation for possible upgrades to any position — aside from quarterback. First and foremost, if Johnson considers joining New England, he would likely have to take a pay cut as the franchise has a reputation for giving players fair deals that don’t often rank in the top of the league. Keep in mind that Brady restructured his deal last season to help provide the team with more cap space to spend on improving the team.

With Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, and Danny Amendola all at Brady’s disposal, Johnson’s addition to the team would make the Patriots an unstoppable offensive force. What also makes the Patriots a potential destination is that they acquired Randy Moss, another big-name receiver, from the Oakland Raiders. Moss also agreed to restructure his deal after being traded to New England. Yes, the Patriots won’t have much financial flexibility this upcoming year, but it would be foolish to count them out in any scenario.

(Other 3 teams at link)

He's not taking a big paycut to sign here . Besides Moss & Ocho stinko when was the last big name WR to come here .

Me imagining the addition of Johnson to Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and a healthy Dion Lewis:

6ADLV4r.gif

He's not taking a big paycut to sign here . Besides Moss & Ocho stinko when was the last big name WR to come here .

Who knows, maybe after all this time with the awful lions, he may decide he wants to join a contender, he's not going to come ridiculously cheap, but maybe the Pats do as they did with Revis, 2 years, a reasonable value in 1st yr with a jump in the second year that they probably won't pick up.

The O-Line? Also without fixing the O-line it would be pointless to get a deep threat.

I'd love to see it but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't view him as a deep threat. More a 15-20 yd possession type IMO. That would fit just fine.

Don't see it though. More as this team spending those required resources on that position. They've jumped drastically since Moss. Not to mention where CJs heart is: money or glory.

You never know. He's in the 2nd half of his career and may be looking for a winner rather than money at this point.

:shrug:

You never know. He's in the 2nd half of his career and may be looking for a winner rather than money at this point.

:shrug:

If he were willing to play at a far more acceptable salary what place would he rather play for? Everything on Offense is here next year AND the Defense is really taking shape. Add a first ballot HoF GOAT coach?

No brainer.

If he were willing to play at a far more acceptable salary what place would he rather play for? Everything on Offense is here next year AND the Defense is really taking shape. Add a first ballot HoF GOAT coach?

No brainer.
No question that if he was willing to take a more modest contract this would be the best spot for him but not the only one. But Seattle would be a good landing spot for him. Same with the Pack. Carolina would be another one.
The Ravens are another spot I could see him land. Yes they had a bad year but I'm don't think they are done as a team. Only last year they took the Pats to the brink here at Gillete. If they stay healthy and add a WR like Megatron they'd be a contender again. And I can see them spending good money to bring him in too.

Along with a healthy defense, who could stop this team?

All I could think of when I saw these posts was that it's pretty much what Hardy Kruger's character said when the explosives on the Nijmegen bridge failed to detonate in A Bridge Too Far.

In case you forget, this is what followed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i1EsDkm_r3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All of the points about other teams prospects all well taken.

But NE would have a cachet that a guy that's never won nothin' would really like. Players like that want to play in NE, they want to play for BB, and with a Brady. Seriously, the money's close, you can go play with Flacco or Brady? Come on. We all know the examples that have come through the door over the years.

KOK is right. A big BIG pay cut to come here. We can dream.

The max I could ever see the pats offering is 7 million a year. The pats first have to decide which of the 3 defense playmakers jones , collins & hightower resigned .

The max I could ever see the pats offering is 7 million a year. The pats first have to decide which of the 3 defense playmakers jones , collins & hightower resigned .

That's quite a specific number. How did you come up with that?

WOuld love to see him on the Pats. Anything to help unleash Brady's passing game is a good thing.

Back