5 Free Agent Tight Ends the Patriots Could Sign to Replace Scott Chandler

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
The New England Patriots need to find a replacement for back-up tight end Scott Chandler because the role of back-up to Rob Gronkowski is second only to playing back-up to Tom Brady.

Chandler was ultimately a disappointment this season, especially after all of the offseason hype. Fool me once, shame on Zach Sudfeld; fool me twice, shame on...well, shame on Michael Hoomanawanui; fool me three times, and then shame on me.

The goal remains the same for this offseason: the Patriots must find a player that can not only protect the roster in case of an injury to Rob Gronkowski, but one that can also contribute on a regular basis as the 4th (behind Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, and the running back) or 5th player (behind Danny Amendola or a different free agent receiver, maybe?) on offense.

Here's a list of five tight ends that could help out the Patriots offense for depth. Birthdays as of September 1st, 2016:

1. Chargers TE Ladarius Green; 26 years old, 6'6, 240 lbs. Green has toiled behind future Hall of Fame tight end Antonio Gates, but Gates is set to return for the 2016 season. Does Green want to join an offense that might use him on a more regular basis? Likely to receive a contract worth up to $6 million per season.

2. Colts TE Dwayne Allen; 26 years old, 6'3, 265 lbs. Allen is a beast of a blocker and a valuable receiver, but injuries in each of the past three seasons seem to have sapped his ability. A fully healthy offseason could reset his value, but his value is at a low. Could receive a contract for $2 million, with playtime incentives for up to $4 million per season.

3. Colts TE Coby Fleener; 27 years old, 6'6, 250 lbs. Partner in crime with Allen, Fleener is more of a pure receiver at the position. Fleener would be an every-snap type of player and could add another dynamic layer to the offense with Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Dion Lewis, and whatever fifth receiver interests the Patriots (Rishard Matthews? Jermaine Kearse? Maybe even Danny Amendola?). Wouldn't fill the role of Gronkowski's back-up. Will likely see an upwards of $7 million per season.

4. Bears TE Zach Miller; 31 years old, 6'5, 240 lbs. Miller has spent the majority of his career on the injured reserve, and now he's in his 30s with a breakout season. Miller will likely see a contract upward of $3 million per season, but he's a boom-bust option.

5. Rams TE Jared Cook; 29 years old, 6'5, 255 lbs. The same issues that plagued Chandler- drops, poor blocking- seem to be an issue for Cook as well, but at least Cook is far more athletic. Cook was cut by the Rams due to his cap hit and will likely see upwards of $4 million per season on the open market.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/3/2/...ends-the-patriots-could-sign-to-replace-scott

I don't believe they need to sign anyone to replace Chandler.
I am saying A.J. Derby is the guy that will fill the role.

There was a Sudfeld at the Combine but no one mentioned if he was related.
I hope they give Green a look see.

There was a Sudfeld at the Combine but no one mentioned if he was related.
I hope they give Green a look see.

The Sudfeld is this years draft is the younger brother to the Zack Sudfeld (te)

If you get Allen on the cheap and can keep him healthy you'd be laughing, and it would be a real knife twister.

Great player when healthy, woefully underused due to having basically be the 6th man on the line.

If you get Allen on the cheap and can keep him healthy you'd be laughing, and it would be a real knife twister.

Great player when healthy, woefully underused due to having basically be the 6th man on the line.

You know how much BB loves injured guys. Married with his TE love, this is a mortal lock.

You know how much BB loves injured guys. Married with his TE love, this is a mortal lock.

Dare I say he would be perfect to fill the role a certain former Pats TE had in tandem with Gronk.

His injury history is over played somewhat too. The hip injury that cost him a season was a bit of a freak one.

Dare I say he would be perfect to fill the role a certain former Pats TE had in tandem with Gronk.

His injury history is over played somewhat too. The hip injury that cost him a season was a bit of a freak one.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Pats signed Dwayne Allen and the Colts signed Scott Chandler...a "trade" so to speak. Scott was our Trent last year. He can be yours this year.

Colts re-sign Allen $29Mill/4 Years... wow.

Colts keep Dwayne Allen, on a four-year deal

Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2016, 7:49 PM EST

The Colts had two tight ends poised to become free agents. They now have one. But the one who re-signed isn’t the one anyone expected to re-sign.

Per a league source, the Colts and tight end Dwayne Allen have worked out a four-year, $29.4 million deal. He’ll get $12 million in year one, $17 million total through two years, and $22 million through three years. The includes $16 million guaranteed; it’s unclear how much is fully guaranteed at signing.

A third-round pick in 2012, Allen had 16 catches last year.

The question now becomes whether the Colts will retain tight end Coby Fleener, a second-round pick in 2012. He had a career-high 54 receptions in 2015.

Grigson doesn't take injury history into consideration when negotiating contracts? 16 catches last year = $16M guaranteed.

Tannenbaum couldn't have done it more stupidly.

Good heavens. Why did that pay him that? Fleener has been the better TE and more durable.

Grigson really does have no clue.

The Pats tried to bring back Hooman but he agreed to a 3 yr deal with NO.

Back