A High Level Study Of Mac Jones' Game

An argument can be made for Denver in 2015 with Hillman and CJ Anderson, when Peyton's arm was basically a noodle and then the Seahawks SB win. Both had stellar defenses and a strong run game. The Giants when they beat us the last time made their Superbowl run from nowhere based on defense and downhill running in the playoffs.

I think a league-leading defense with a decent run game will always get a team far.

I think a league-leading defense with a decent run game will always get a team far.
I think this is correct, but the problem with building a team with a great defense is that they don't seem sustainable.

The 1985 Bears were a one-hit wonder, as were the 2000 Ravens and the 2002 Buccaneers. The Seahawks had a couple of good seasons, but only got one championship.

Great defenses take a while to build, peak for a single-season (or maybe two), and then regress to the mean. Prior to the salary cap era it was easier to keep a defense together, but it's hard to reload a championship defense when a team is drafting late in every round and losing top players to free agency.

Contrast that with rebuilding an offense - a great QB who can be kept healthy can keep a team in the hunt year after year. Once you have your elite QB and a good offensive line, even JAG RBs and WRs will look good and can be treated as fungible assets.

I think this is correct, but the problem with building a team with a great defense is that they don't seem sustainable.

The 1985 Bears were a one-hit wonder, as were the 2000 Ravens and the 2002 Buccaneers. The Seahawks had a couple of good seasons, but only got one championship.

Great defenses take a while to build, peak for a single-season (or maybe two), and then regress to the mean. Prior to the salary cap era it was easier to keep a defense together, but it's hard to reload a championship defense when a team is drafting late in every round and losing top players to free agency.

Contrast that with rebuilding an offense - a great QB who can be kept healthy can keep a team in the hunt year after year. Once you have your elite QB and a good offensive line, even JAG RBs and WRs will look good and can be treated as fungible assets.
Good points Tip. I think the mold of the team for now is this way because Jones is a rookie. My hope is he develops the way Allen did for the Bills so by year 3 we are putting receivers like Diggs around him and we become a more explosive offense. I truly hope the plan is not to stay in this form as I agree with you, it is not sustainable over the long term. You have to have the franchise QB as he makes everything easier to compete year after year.

You are correct. It looks to me that BB is trying to repeat what happened at the beginning of the Patriot's dynasty: Start off with a couple of years of elite D while Mac gets up to speed and takes over.

I mean, I can hope anyway....

It is rare for sure and as Tips says, it's very hard to keep a really great defense at the top level. Bill Walsh and co showed nothing learns faster than an NFL coach as he and other NFC coaches had adjusted to that Bear 46 defense after 1986 and the Bears never won a SB again.

The Giants under Parcells and BB probably had the most sustained high performance defense over a number of years and that was really down to LT being a freak.

And a really great run game is typically very short lived as well. Nothing gets battered into submission quicker than a good NFL RB. Again for me, showing the brilliance of Barry Sanders.

It is rare for sure and as Tips says, it's very hard to keep a really great defense at the top level. Bill Walsh and co showed nothing learns faster than an NFL coach as he and other NFC coaches had adjusted to that Bear 46 defense after 1986 and the Bears never won a SB again.

The Giants under Parcells and BB probably had the most sustained high performance defense over a number of years and that was really down to LT being a freak.

And a really great run game is typically very short lived as well. Nothing gets battered into submission quicker than a good NFL RB. Again for me, showing the brilliance of Barry Sanders.
The rules have made it impossible to play the style of defense that the Bears played or the Giants or the Pats of the early 00's. It's a shame in a lot of ways but the rules are geared toward passing and makes it impossible for the defense to play smash mouth.

59% accuracy on deep balls. Not bad for a guy with a noodle arm. This was a pre-draft interview. Why were mediots always yapping about his inability to throw deep balls.

Herd mentality.

Back