A questionable call...still a game to play

Darth Despot

We ass
Reaction score
Website
tokevinwithlove.wordpress.com
Was Deon Lewis down by contact before Myles Jack stripped the ball?

Maybe yes, maybe no, that's not really the point.

The real issue here is, as a football team, what did the Patriots do about it.

They kept playing football, got the ball back and won the damn game.

So the next time your team has a call go against it, quit whining. Tell them to play the damn game.

From PFT:

“That play was incredibly hard to officiate,” Pereira told Peter King of SI.com. “In a second, the ball is loose, maybe re-possessed, maybe recovered by the other team, and maybe the recovering player was touched as he fell. All in about a second. No one really questioned that in real time, only after watching it over and over again. That’s about the most difficult call an official would have to make. . . . Officiating anymore is not realistic. There is no consideration any longer of real-time officiating. You ask 130 officials, and they would tell you that is the most frustrating part of their job. You have to live with it. They make a call in real time, and they’re criticized after people watch replay after replay. The expectations are just amazing. The only level of acceptability is 100 percent. Replay and technology has put so much more emphasis on the really tight judgment plays that are so difficult to officiate.”

So the next time your team has a call go against it, quit whining. Tell them to play the damn game.

The fans of the Jags and the Pats haters say the Jags were robbed of a TD. :coffee:

The fans of the Jags and the Pats haters say the Jags were robbed of a TD. :coffee:

Yeah, since if the play wasn't blown dead, Solder (standing right behind the guy, starting at him as he gets up) totally would have still just stood there and definitely would not have tackled him :coffee:

The gap between reality and people's fantasy of how things would have gone in their self crafted alternate reality is insane to me sometimes.

Yeah, since if the play wasn't blown dead, Solder (standing right behind the guy, starting at him as he gets up) totally would have still just stood there and definitely would not have tackled him :coffee:

The gap between reality and people's fantasy of how things would have gone in their self crafted alternate reality is insane to me sometimes.

Feel free to substitute "people" for "refs" in my above post.

You know Patriots Derangement Syndrome is bad when the Jags being awarded possession of the ball on a turnover STILL isn't enough! If he wasn't allowed to run it all the way in for a TD, it's somehow still...unfair.

Creepy weirdos.

Can you imagine if they let the play play-out and thet called the TD back due to down by contact?

There is no question that was a fumble. I have no idea why he blew the whistle. Pats got lucky on that call.

Bingo . . .

With all the whining about the Pats getting the calls on catches (Pitt/Jets) regarding reversals, folks need to remember that those teams needed to overcome the call (which were correct btw, certainly with Pitt and if one thought the ball moved on the Jet TE as he rolled over in the end zone).

Here we have the exact same rule. Lewis had the ball stripped thus temporary loss meant free ball requiring a person follows the rules of possession which Lewis did not accomplish as he only was able to pin the ball after it came loose, he did not survive the ground.

btw, Mack was down by contact as his initial control of the ball come when he was still in contact with Lewis.

Bottom line the catch/loose ball/possession rule was applied against the Pats in a correct manner and the Pat overcame the call.

I had gotten into the Jet TE touchback rule with the folks at Gang green forum and had thought to go back to tell them that the pats too get on the bad side of these calls, but i decided not too.

Loved the previous reference to Patriot Derangement syndrome, was thinking that a big part of all the general controversy is related to people increasingly desperate that their team continually misses playoffs / or gets spanked by the Pats. They have to find some way to blame someone / anyone for their suckitude. Most of it is comedy gold.

Was listening to the Cowturd the other day, he had a guest on his show (Peter King maybe) and they both said they thought that wasn't a fumble. I said it during the game that it wasn't but obviously the refs thought otherwise.

But yeah DD, your take is spot on.

Was listening to the Cowturd the other day, he had a guest on his show (Peter King maybe) and they both said they thought that wasn't a fumble. I said it during the game that it wasn't but obviously the refs thought otherwise.

But yeah DD, your take is spot on.
I thought he had control still when he was in contact with the ground making it Pats ball but I guess JAX were the higher bidder on that play, Ernie Adams must have been on a bathroom break.

They ruled it a fumble on the field and I believe that, in the spirit of needing conclusive evidence to overturn the call, they got it right.

Conversely, had they ruled him down, I also believe the call likely would have stood. Close play.

But I think DD's main point is to coaches, players and fans of the Jags (and the Steelers), you need to come out of that review with a plan for IF the call doesn't go entirely your way.

In the case of the Jags, they still came away with the ball. Got a huge turnover and still only managed to score 6 points in the second half. Should have capitalized on that. That fumble was the first time in the game I felt like all hope might actually be lost.

From Football Zebras

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/01/21/championship-liveblog-jaguars-at-patriots/

Looking back to the fumble recovery by the Jaguars early in the 4th quarter, there is a question as to whether Myles Jack is down by contact.

Whenever a ball is stripped from a player in possession on the ground, it is down by contact and no fumble. In this case, the ball was not in possession but taken from an opponent’s hands, so this is deemed as “contact” by the Patriots as Jack begins to take control.

Is it possible that there was no hand-to-hand contact? Yes, but there is no way that can be perceived, so the officials are instructed to treat this as down by contact.

The contact, by the way, only has to occur when a player is beginning to secure the ball. It is held until the player finishes establishing control, and is dead at that point.

This was correctly ruled as down by contact on the recovery.

Back