AFC EAST - as good as people thought?

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
I am not sure what it is but I feel like the division this year is not nearly as good as the talking heads and analysts said/hoped it would be. If Miami wins tomorrow and the Giants upset the Bills then the Pats will already have a 2 game lead in the loss column after just 4 weeks!

I do think the Bills are legit to at least stick around but as we know a Rex Ryan team can implode at any point. This week they have no McCoy or Watkins so we will see how they handle that. But the Fins are a mess, the Jets are a joke with Fitz at QB so what do people think overall?

I think the Pats could have the division wrapped up by week 11.

Too much football to be played. Key injuries, attitude problems from the locker room, Poor coaching and an assortment of other unforeseen issues.
Car batteries being tossed onto the playing field. :shrug_n:

i think miami is the only team to disappoint so far, figured they would be a little better than they have shown. seems like philbin has lost that team, i guess we find out tomorrow if they are done done.

Buffalo is a playoff team.
The Jets are border line but should finish at or slightly above .500.
Miami is a train wreck.

But with 13 games to be played, anything can happen. I still think the division is one of the top 2-3 overall (NFC West being #1).

What Spent said. Just to soon to tell. Jets D looks good. Bills D looks good (when not up against TFB). TT has surprised and seems to me to be smart and focused so far.

Miami looks bad.

But just too little data and just too far to go.

I'm pretty sure it's better than it has been, not at all sure how much.

Cheers, BostonTim

There are worse divisions. The only team that is disappointing, so far, is the Dolphins. Teams that spend a boat load in free agency tend to stink, see Redskins, Washington. The AFCE may not be the strongest division, but it's probably the toughest one weather wise, no domes, and unpredictable given that the timing of certain games can be critical.

There are teams in other divisions that are doing the same as teams in the East and it has been that way for quite some time now. I can't stand the weak division argument. 8 of the last 9 AFCCG have had and AFCE team representing. We had a Colt fan here years ago that did nothing but drone about how easy the Pats have it and their cake division. The division is what it is.

Buffalo is a playoff team.
The Jets are border line but should finish at or slightly above .500.
Miami is a train wreck.

But with 13 games to be played, anything can happen. I still think the division is one of the top 2-3 overall (NFC West being #1).

According the 2015 Sagarin Rankings, the AFC East is currently the strongest division.

And by the 2014 Sagarin Rankings, the AFC East finished as the strongest division.

NFC West was 3rd in 2014, and is currently 3rd this year.

Before the season, the talk was centered around the Bills, Jets and 'fins off season acquisitions and expectations were that all 3 could challenge NE for the top spot this year with strong defenses.

The Dolphins are a mess. It's not just the beating they took last week, they've looked bad in every game. Suh is undisciplined and they're not using him right anyway.

The Jets are on the brink, but Fitz is very mistake prone and they're offense is not quite there. The Defense looks great on paper, yet Philadelphia walked all over them.

The Bills have looked like a dominant team, except vs NE, who just does what NE does without missing a beat.

The AFC South may be the tightest division, between the four teams, but a lot depends on if Cincinnati can maintain or will Dalton come back to Earth anytime soon.

I think that if Miami had lived to any of the expectations, this would be the most competitive division with all 4 teams apt to vie for the playoffs.

Before the season, the talk was centered around the Bills, Jets and 'fins off season acquisitions and expectations were that all 3 could challenge NE for the top spot this year with strong defenses.

The Dolphins are a mess. It's not just the beating they took last week, they've looked bad in every game. Suh is undisciplined and they're not using him right anyway.

The Jets are on the brink, but Fitz is very mistake prone and they're offense is not quite there. The Defense looks great on paper, yet Philadelphia walked all over them.

The Bills have looked like a dominant team, except vs NE, who just does what NE does without missing a beat.

The AFC South may be the tightest division, between the four teams, but a lot depends on if Cincinnati can maintain or will Dalton come back to Earth anytime soon.

I think that if Miami had lived to any of the expectations, this would be the most competitive division with all 4 teams apt to vie for the playoffs.

I think you meant AFC North. The AFC South is a joke. I honestly can't remember the last time the Patriots lost to an AFCS team. 2009 maybe?

Nope, I meant south, They all are the same - bad. It's even competition whenever they play each other

Cincinnati isn't in that division. That was the correction I was making. The AFCS sucks though. The only good team from that division in the last 15 years aside from the Colts was the '03 Titans when McNair and Fisher were a decent QB/coach tandem

I agree with everything else you wrote.

the AFCE has the most wins in the NFL. If you think the Pats skew this, then take out the top team in each division and the AFCE is the best division by far and it isn't close.

Cincinnati isn't in that division. That was the correction I was making. The AFCS sucks though. The only good team from that division in the last 15 years aside from the Colts was the '03 Titans when McNair and Fisher were a decent QB/coach tandem

I agree with everything else you wrote.
What a brutal cold night that Division Round game was. I remember Bethel Johnson's big moment, Phifer's interception wiped out by a roughing call (Seymour? I think), a tense final Mcnair incompletion to close out Tennesee's chances and of course a late AV game winning field goal (cause of course Brady sucks too much to win without Adam).

Cheers, BostonTim

the AFCE has the most wins in the NFL. If you think the Pats skew this, then take out the top team in each division and the AFCE is the best division by far and it isn't close.

People try to measure it by winning % but the Pats weight it so heavily that it skews the numbers. Over the last 15 years, minus the Pats, the W-L records are right there with the other divisions.

What a brutal cold night that Division Round game was. I remember Bethel Johnson's big moment, Phifer's interception wiped out by a roughing call (Seymour? I think), a tense final Mcnair incompletion to close out Tennesee's chances and of course a late AV game winning field goal (cause of course Brady sucks too much to win without Adam).

Cheers, BostonTim

Coldest game in Foxboro history and the coldest I have ever been.
There's a thread in the archives about the game.

Coldest game in Foxboro history and the coldest I have ever been.
There's a thread in the archives about the game.

You know, I never thought I'd live to see the day when virtually any football comment made would stir up memories of diffferent great Patriots moments.

With apologies to Irving Berlin, I fall asleep counting my Patriots blessings.

Cheers, BostonTim

People try to measure it by winning % but the Pats weight it so heavily that it skews the numbers. Over the last 15 years, minus the Pats, the W-L records are right there with the other divisions.

Just look at number of wins. Minus the Pats, the AFCE has 5 wins, which is the most. The AFCN has 4, but they are already one game into week 4. The AFCW also has 4, as does the NFCS. All the rest suck. (again, I took out the top team which "skews" the total. The top team in the AFCS "skews" the number with 1 win.)

Just look at number of wins. Minus the Pats, the AFCE has 5 wins, which is the most. The AFCN has 4, but they are already one game into week 4. The AFCW also has 4, as does the NFCS. All the rest suck. (again, I took out the top team which "skews" the total. The top team in the AFCS "skews" the number with 1 win.)

People also forget that the schedule is based on a preset formula. The Patriots have been basically playing a 1st place schedule for the past 15 years

People also forget that the schedule is based on a preset formula. The Patriots have been basically playing a 1st place schedule for the past 15 years

Good point, but there is no guarantee that a 11-5 team last year won't be a 7-9 team this year (Ravens come to mind) or a crappy team last year won't have 10 wins this year.

I think we are on the same page, just looking at it in different ways.

Back