Amendola has sprain per Curran Tweet

Maybe the night before, they stayed here: http://www.stanleyhotel.com/

Stephen King found inspiration there for his 1977 bestseller “The Shining,” reviving interest in the hotel and solidifying its status as a hotbed of paranormal activity.

Yes. They were working on putting a maze in front of the place to match the movie hotel. They've also begun hosting an annual film festival in Estes Park.

IR Dobson bring in a WR that can help out til Amendola & Edelman comes back.

According to spotrac.com, the Patriots have about $3.8 Million of cap space left for this season. I wonder how much they'd be willing to spend, given that they would want to keep some in reserve in case another OL goes down. :huh:

According to spotrac.com, the Patriots have about $3.8 Million of cap space left for this season. I wonder how much they'd be willing to spend, given that they would want to keep some in reserve in case another OL goes down. :huh:

You think there's Free Agents left that would get more than the minimum?

The remaining cap space, which is closer to $2.3M btw, will be carried over into 2016. Injury replacements would take up very little. We're talking about $150k for a rookie or $180k for a 2nd-year player if signed/promoted this week.

You think there's Free Agents left that would get more than the minimum?

I was assuming that there would be an available player who is better than anyone they have in their "revolving door" of a practice squad now, and would therefore command more $$$. I also assume such a player's salary would be pro-rated, so that a $1.6M per year player would only have to be paid $600k. I'm not sure (a) how playoff games figure in to that, or (b) whether paying a player $600k results in a $600k cap hit.

I get the distinct impression that sports leagues' salary cap structures were "designed" by the same kinds of accountants who brought us the U.S. Tax Code. :coffee:

The remaining cap space, which is closer to $2.3M btw, will be carried over into 2016. Injury replacements would take up very little. We're talking about $150k for a rookie or $180k for a 2nd-year player if signed/promoted this week.

What is spotrac.com doing wrong in that their calculation and yours disagree by $1.5M?

I was assuming that there would be an available player who is better than anyone they have in their "revolving door" of a practice squad now, and would therefore command more $$$.

It's possible that such a player exists. But being a free agent this late in the season, he'd have no leverage to get anything above the minimum. The lone exception I could see is if they'd talk a retired player into coming back, which I consider highly unlikely at this point.

I also assume such a player's salary would be pro-rated, so that a $1.6M per year player would only have to be paid $600k.

That's almost correct. The salary is prorated over 17 weeks, so a $1.6M yearly base salary would result in about $565k for the remaining 6 weeks.

I'm not sure (a) how playoff games figure in to that,

They don't. Playoff pay doesn't count against the cap. It counts as a benefit afaik.

or (b) whether paying a player $600k results in a $600k cap hit.

Yes, as that player would not qualify for the veteran minimum benefit. A qualifying player (i.e. a player with a one-year contract and minimum salary plus a limited amount of bonus money) has is cap hit reduced to that of a player with two years of experience. In any other case every $ of salary or bonus counts against the cap at some point.

I get the distinct impression that sports leagues' salary cap structures were "designed" by the same kinds of accountants who brought us the U.S. Tax Code. :coffee:

My tax professor used to tell me that 95% of all literature on taxation is written in german. I have no doubt about that. Compared to german taxation laws the U.S. Tax Code is a childrens book.

What is spotrac.com doing wrong in that their calculation and yours disagree by $1.5M?

I don't know what exactly spotrac is doing wrong, but for accurate numbers on the Patriots' cap situation the go-to source is patscap.com or the NFLPA's cap report (https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report). All other sites usually have several inaccuracies in their numbers, like wrong treatment of LTBE/NLTBE boni or players on IR they don't count (as some are not even listed on the roster on patriots.com).

My tax professor used to tell me that 95% of all literature on taxation is written in german. I have no doubt about that. Compared to german taxation laws the U.S. Tax Code is a childrens book.

You mean, like Doctor Seuss?

"I own a business, making axes ... I do not wish to pay more taxes."

You make axes?

No. Back in Arizona I knew a guy who worked for Fender, though.

0113000705_m1240_0000.jpg

FOXBORO — Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola sounded as optimistic as he did frustrated yesterday while addressing his sprained left knee for the first time.

Amendola was clearly ticked that he had to miss Sunday night’s game against the Broncos, but he spoke positively when discussing his recovery.
“I’ll get out there today and run around and know more,” Amendola said before his limited practice workload. “I feel good. I can’t put a number on it. I feel OK to go out there and run around today.”

If it were up to Amendola, he’d never leave the field, and that’s why there was a possibility that he could play through the injury last week. But in the long term, the rest was far more important from a team perspective.

“I don’t want to miss a game, and I missed a game,” Amendola said. “We’re here to play football. I’m going to try to get back out there as quick as I can.

“That’s why we’re here. It’s why everyone is here — to play football and not be in the tub. I don’t like it. It’s not a good feeling to not be available.”

Amendola suffered the injury Nov. 23 on a 41-yard, third-quarter reception against the Bills, as his knee hit the ground while cornerback Ronald Darby landed on top of him. Amendola hobbled to the sideline to shake it off and told the team’s medical personnel that he wasn’t in pain, so he returned to the field a minute later to attempt to field a punt. That’s when he realized the knee wasn’t right.

“It didn’t hurt when I was walking around, so I figured why not go test it (on the punt). It wasn’t able to go at a high level,” Amendola said. “I had a good idea what I was going to do with (the punt return). I just couldn’t get to the ball.”

Amendola then got more medical attention, and it was decided to keep him on the sideline for the rest of the game.

“I didn’t think it was bad at first, and then I couldn’t run, like turn over my legs at a high rate,” Amendola said. “I didn’t want to hobble around out there and get killed.”

Amendola’s toughness can’t be questioned after he played 14 games, including the playoffs, with a torn groin in 2013. Sunday marked the first time since that season that he missed time with an injury. It remains possible it will be just a one-game absence.

“It’s hard,” Amendola said of missing time. “Obviously, put a lot of work in during the year. I want to be out there every game. I can’t wait to get out there.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...iots_notebook_danny_amendola_aching_to_return

FOXBORO — Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola sounded as optimistic as he did frustrated yesterday while addressing his sprained left knee for the first time.

Amendola was clearly ticked that he had to miss Sunday night’s game against the Broncos, but he spoke positively when discussing his recovery.
“I’ll get out there today and run around and know more,” Amendola said before his limited practice workload. “I feel good. I can’t put a number on it. I feel OK to go out there and run around today.”

If it were up to Amendola, he’d never leave the field, and that’s why there was a possibility that he could play through the injury last week. But in the long term, the rest was far more important from a team perspective.

“I don’t want to miss a game, and I missed a game,” Amendola said. “We’re here to play football. I’m going to try to get back out there as quick as I can.

“That’s why we’re here. It’s why everyone is here — to play football and not be in the tub. I don’t like it. It’s not a good feeling to not be available.”

Amendola suffered the injury Nov. 23 on a 41-yard, third-quarter reception against the Bills, as his knee hit the ground while cornerback Ronald Darby landed on top of him. Amendola hobbled to the sideline to shake it off and told the team’s medical personnel that he wasn’t in pain, so he returned to the field a minute later to attempt to field a punt. That’s when he realized the knee wasn’t right.

“It didn’t hurt when I was walking around, so I figured why not go test it (on the punt). It wasn’t able to go at a high level,” Amendola said. “I had a good idea what I was going to do with (the punt return). I just couldn’t get to the ball.”

Amendola then got more medical attention, and it was decided to keep him on the sideline for the rest of the game.

“I didn’t think it was bad at first, and then I couldn’t run, like turn over my legs at a high rate,” Amendola said. “I didn’t want to hobble around out there and get killed.”

Amendola’s toughness can’t be questioned after he played 14 games, including the playoffs, with a torn groin in 2013. Sunday marked the first time since that season that he missed time with an injury. It remains possible it will be just a one-game absence.

“It’s hard,” Amendola said of missing time. “Obviously, put a lot of work in during the year. I want to be out there every game. I can’t wait to get out there.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...iots_notebook_danny_amendola_aching_to_return

methinks this is just a bit of a shot at the gronk family medical center...

I have always loved Danny's toughness. He does not get talked about much but his contributions last year in the post-season were huge. We don't win the Ravens game without him. He was also a beast vs the Jets in the second to last game when Edelman was out with the concussion.

Back