Annual Patriots Mock 2013: Special Belichicodered Edition

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
Since that glorious time of yore when Bill Belichick rejected the New York Jets, grabbed the tiller in New England and freed Patriots fans forever from having to watch Bobby Grier mishandle the draft each April there have been many observations made as to Bill's tendencies and philosophies toward that very inexact science as well as many comments regarding his strengths and weaknesses as a talent evaluator.

Some of these observations have even seemed temporarily correct until Belichick eventually reversed directions like a young Devin Hester leaving draft nerds grasping at the empty space in his wake. Trying to predict what Bill will do in the draft is such an exercise in frustration that even the members of the BFRO (Bigfoot Research Organization) whose TV show Finding Bigfoot has become a symbol of ludicrous and fruitless quests have been known to take pity on those that dared to try.

Anyhow, as the draft is fast approaching I thought I'd take a new approach since the old one hasn't been working right since we still thought of Bethel Johnson as an exciting kid with a bright future. So, I'm going to try to incorporate many of the usual Belichick philosophies into one draft. I've incorporated a little Belichicoder into it to get Bill's insight into his moves.

Somebody cover me. I'm going in.

Philosophy: ANALYZE WHERE THE VALUE IN A PARTICULAR DRAFT IS AND GET CORRESPONDING PICKS

BB: We plan to sit tight at 29 to see if one of the top guys on our board drops to us. It'll have to be a series of incredible f#$k-ups that would allow such a thing, like nobody picking Bjoern Werner, but it does happen. If not, we plan on taking advantage of the 5-year signing rule for 1st round picks because whatever quarterback is still available will suddenly become more desirable than usual, which is kind of like how at closing time all the two's start looking like ten's. We trade with Buffalo for them to go up and get Ryan Nassib and take their 42 and a 3rd, because that's where all the value in this draft is. You didn't think I was going with 5 picks did you?

1st Round - trade down

Philosophy: WHEN IN DOUBT, REACH FOR A DEFENSIVE BACK

BB: I got one corner who is going to jail next year and if he makes it out in one piece he might never run the same way. The other one is fragile, about half-nuts and unsigned next year. I don't even want to talk about Arrington or the other guy. I like to take corners and I like drafting kids from New Jersey and I'll do it again. Plus, this will piss Mel off, because he had him going in the late 3rd. I love seeing him stutter.

2nd Round (42) - Logan Ryan CB Rutgers

Philosophy: NOBODY CAN DO EVERYTHING SO FIND A GUY THAT CAN DO AT LEAST ONE THING WELL

BB: Does anybody think I want to play Cunningham on running downs if Vince gets hurt? Or the kid from Canada?

2nd Round (59) Jesse Williams DL Alabama

Philosophy: AT LEAST ONCE IN EVERY DRAFT JUST SHOCK THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYBODY

BB: Sure, we have four running backs that can do the job and this kid had a terrible senior year, but I think he's a good player and can help us in another two years or sooner if Ridley keeps fumbling.

3rd Round (from Buffalo) - Knile Davis RB Arkansas

Philosophy: DON'T YOU JUST LOVE A BARGAIN?

BB: Everybody loved him until Mel decided he had short arms. so I'll take him. You ever see Ryan Wendell's arms? They look like flippers and he's doing OK.

3rd Round (91) - Barrett Jones OL Alabama

Philosophy: THERE WAS NO VALUE THERE ANYWAY, SO ONE FOR THREE ISN'T BAD

4th - 6th traded for Talib, Haynesworth and Ocho

Philosophy: LET'S GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT, BUT NOT WHEN THEY WANTED IT.

BB: He's a Div III kid that is 5'10" but has some tools to work with and we're hoping to slip him on the PS and maybe he'll be a player someday or at least be a better option than Tiquan Underwood was on the scout team. You really didn't think I was going to pick Wheaton did you?

7th Round (226) Jasper Collins WR Mt. Union

Philosophy: YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY ROLE PLAYERS

BB: The Jets wanted him as a free agent, so I'm taking him to piss Rex off and just in case what's-his-name gets hurt. He also has some positional flexibility as a back-up goal line fullback.

7th Round (235) Carson Tinker LS Alabama

He's baaaccckkkkk!!!!

Something tells me it'll play out in some fashion remarkably similar to this and it'll leave us all with a bland chalky aftertaste when we were expecting the sweetness of Willy Wonka.

On to 2014....

Awesomeness! Especially WR...you know he'll do something exactly like that.
I too think it's a lead pipe lock he trades out of the first.
I'm pretty sure he'll squeeze some guy in there who has an injury history so he's in the Filene's basement bin draft value wise.

I knew you'd come through for us, Hawg!!! This is pure gold!

Just a quick comment: There's two kids from the CFL, and I really want my BFF Jason Vega to make this team in some way.

Speaking of injury history bargains and kids from the CFL, I'm thinking that Armstead may have a dramatic impact. He may be slinging around a huge chip on his shoulder like a mace.

Love it Hawg.

MM- that chip on the shoulder thing has worked many times before. Hope you are right.

Trades are too difficult to predict. I'll just go with our current picks.

1. De'Andre Hopkins - WR - Clemson
2. Darius Slay - CB - Miss St
3. Khaseem Greene - OLB - Rutgers
7. Mike Capapano - DE - Princeton
7. Chris Faulk - T - LSU

Since that glorious time of yore when Bill Belichick rejected the New York Jets, grabbed the tiller in New England and freed Patriots fans forever from having to watch Bobby Grier mishandle the draft each April there have been many observations made as to Bill's tendencies and philosophies toward that very inexact science as well as many comments regarding his strengths and weaknesses as a talent evaluator.

Some of these observations have even seemed temporarily correct until Belichick eventually reversed directions like a young Devin Hester leaving draft nerds grasping at the empty space in his wake. Trying to predict what Bill will do in the draft is such an exercise in frustration that even the members of the BFRO (Bigfoot Research Organization) whose TV show Finding Bigfoot has become a symbol of ludicrous and fruitless quests have been known to take pity on those that dared to try.

Anyhow, as the draft is fast approaching I thought I'd take a new approach since the old one hasn't been working right since we still thought of Bethel Johnson as an exciting kid with a bright future. So, I'm going to try to incorporate many of the usual Belichick philosophies into one draft. I've incorporated a little Belichicoder into it to get Bill's insight into his moves.

Somebody cover me. I'm going in.

Philosophy: ANALYZE WHERE THE VALUE IN A PARTICULAR DRAFT IS AND GET CORRESPONDING PICKS

BB: We plan to sit tight at 29 to see if one of the top guys on our board drops to us. It'll have to be a series of incredible f#$k-ups that would allow such a thing, like nobody picking Bjoern Werner, but it does happen. If not, we plan on taking advantage of the 5-year signing rule for 1st round picks because whatever quarterback is still available will suddenly become more desirable than usual, which is kind of like how at closing time all the two's start looking like ten's. We trade with Buffalo for them to go up and get Ryan Nassib and take their 42 and a 3rd, because that's where all the value in this draft is. You didn't think I was going with 5 picks did you?

1st Round - trade down

BB: I got one corner who is going to jail next year and if he makes it out in one piece he might never run the same way. The other one is fragile, about half-nuts and unsigned next year. I don't even want to talk about Arrington or the other guy. I like to take corners and I like drafting kids fron New Jersey and I'll do it again. Plus, this will piss Mel off, because he had him going in the late 3rd. I love seeing him stutter.

Philosophy: NOBODY CAN DO EVERYTHING SO FIND A GUY THAT CAN DO AT LEAST ONE THING WELL

BB: Does anybody think I want to play Cunningham on running downs if Vince gets hurt? Or the kid from Canada?

2nd Round (59) Jesse Williams DL Alabama

Philosophy: AT LEAST ONCE IN EVERY DRAFT JUST SHOCK THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYBODY

BB: Sure, we have four running backs that can do the job and this kid had a terrible senior year, but I think he's a good player and can help us in another two years or sooner if Ridley keeps fumbling.

3rd Round (from Buffalo) - Knile Davis RB Arkansas

Philosophy: DON'T YOU JUST LOVE A BARGAIN?

BB: Everybody loved him until Mel decided he had short arms. so I'll take him. You ever see Ryan Wendell's arms? They look like flippers and he's doing OK.

3rd Round (91) - Barrett Jones OL Alabama

Philosophy: THERE WAS NO VALUE THERE ANYWAY, SO ONE FOR THREE ISN'T BAD

4th - 6th traded for Talib, Haynesworth and Ocho

Philosophy: LET'S GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT, BUT NOT WHEN THEY WANTED IT.

BB: He's a Div III kid that is 5'10" but has some tools to work with and we're hoping to slip him on the PS and maybe he'll be a player someday or at least be a better option than Tiquan Underwood was on the scout team. You really didn't think I was going to pick Wheaton did you?

7th Round (226) Jasper Collins WR Mt. Union

Philosophy: YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY ROLE PLAYERS

BB: The Jets wanted him as a free agent, so I'm taking him to piss Rex off and just in case what's-his-name gets hurt. He also has some positional flexibility as a back-up goal line fullback.

7th Round (235) Carson Tinker LS Alabama

I agree with all your picks except the last one. Rex has his sights on a LS but he wants to confuse the Patriots by taking Luke Ingram. But BB will grab Luke at 236 then confusion will reign throughout the NFL as to which Ingram will be the LS in which game.

Imagine trying to game plan for that!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1691537/luke-ingram

Quite brilliant. I would caution against taking Jesse Williams because he is going to be permanently traumatised after seeing a whole bottle of asswhup opened over his nation in the cricket this summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good stuff. Had me constantly chuckling.
Posted via Mobile Device

BB: We plan to sit tight at 29 to see if one of the top guys on our board drops to us. It'll have to be a series of incredible f#$k-ups that would allow such a thing, like nobody picking Bjoern Werner, but it does happen.

I'm glad the Colts could help. :thumb: Nice trade for the Pats getting 4 for 1, although I think Patterson would have been an interesting pick there too.

I'm glad the Colts could help. :thumb: Nice trade for the Pats getting 4 for 1, although I think Patterson would have been an interesting pick there too.

Meh.

PAtterson is an amazingly gifted athlete to watch with the ball in his hand.

But therein lies the problem.

By many accounts, he is a stoopid-head.

So I'd have very little confidence in him being able to pick up what Zbradys putting down.

I think he'd be a bust here.

Give me a more pro ready guy who may not match his ultra-athleticism.

BB: I got one corner who is going to jail next year and if he makes it out in one piece he might never run the same way. The other one is fragile, about half-nuts and unsigned next year. I don't even want to talk about Arrington or the other guy. I like to take corners and I like drafting kids fron New Jersey and I'll do it again. Plus, this will piss Mel off, because he had him going in the late 3rd. I love seeing him stutter.

Logan Ryan it is. >)

Hawg nailed it. I think he did that last year too.

Nope. I did have a hot streak a few years back, but it's been quite a while since I hit on even one.

Ironically, after my predictions dried up my brother started on hitting his, so maybe that caused some confusion.

Now I wish I redid my mock to account for the extra picks from the trade just in case I got really lucky and hit two.

Meh.

PAtterson is an amazingly gifted athlete to watch with the ball in his hand.

But therein lies the problem.

By many accounts, he is a stoopid-head.

So I'd have very little confidence in him being able to pick up what Zbradys putting down.

I think he'd be a bust here.

Give me a more pro ready guy who may not match his ultra-athleticism.

So, instead, BB goes for a different guy who isn't pro-ready either. OTOH, he's not nearly as athletic as most WR prospects, so at least there won't be THAT stigma to deal with.

Back