Any of you do Ancestry DNA or many of the other DNA services out there?

HarpoonIPA

ハープーンIPA &#1249
Reaction score
Been waiting for my results a few weeks now, it finally is in the lab for processing. Waiting to find out how many family stories are wright or wrong.

Yes. I have extensive Ancestry work done along with DNA testing. Turns out we are even more Irish than we thought (93+%) and my great aunt married into the Kennedy clan (yes, THEM). I have both the wedding and engagement newspaper accounts.

I have stopped work for the last 6 months or so as I hit a period of no progress. That said, I will pick it back up soon and begin to make progress again, I am sure.

Go for it!

Yes. I have extensive Ancestry work done along with DNA testing. Turns out we are even more Irish than we thought (93+%) and my great aunt married into the Kennedy clan (yes, THEM). I have both the wedding and engagement newspaper accounts.

I have stopped work for the last 6 months or so as I hit a period of no progress. That said, I will pick it back up soon and begin to make progress again, I am sure.

Go for it!

That's cool, were there any other major surprises in your DNA you didn't know about? My farther swears we are part Native American Indian, but there's nothing in our family records that show that. So this test will prove one way or another lol

My great grandmother is Native American. I tried one of these sites and their ability to track down your Native American family tree is pretty terrible. Unfortunately, it's not that surprising.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How much are they getting for one of those DNA tests these days?

I'm Irish, German & Portuguese. My nana was born in Portugal.

Work? How much and what kind of work are we talking about?

not to speak for anyone else but I think he meant research on a family tree. I also am working on this and it's a great deal of work, albeit very interesting stuff. My cousin did my mothers side and I am working on my Dad's side. My mother's side is back to about the year 1050 and it has about 2700 people on it.

My great grandmother on my father's side had our family tree done back in the '20s. She found out that we were direct in line with Lincoln. Also found out that that side of our family has been in this country since the 17th century, about 100 years before there even was a country.

I thought both of those were pretty interesting.

My great grandmother on my father's side had our family tree done back in the '20s. She found out that we were direct in line with Lincoln. Also found out that that side of our family has been in this country since the 17th century, about 100 years before there even was a country.

I thought both of those were pretty interesting.

That's awesome and if you are working on a tree and find this stuff out it just motivates you to keep going. I have an ancestor who was an associate of William Wallace aka Braveheart in the Scottish war of independence in the 1100s. One nasty bastard he was. And a relative who was hanged in New Brunswick in the 1800s LOL.

I have done Ancestry DNA and all possible tests on Family Tree DNA. Very interesting stuff. No real surprises, but thanks to the work of my grandparents about 70 years ago I have extensive genealogical data for my mother's side of the family. Ancestry's ability to show shared common ancestors with people whose DNA match mine is very impressive. On my father's side, my y-dna is a close match with a guy with my surname (Gross) who lives in Alaska whose great-grandfather came from the same small village on the Rhine, but I have yet to figure out who exactly our common ancestor is. I've done "big Y" on ftDNA and share a mutation with a guy out west whose paternal ancestors came from England, so somehow (based on our haplopgroup I-M253) it would appear that our most recent common ancestor lived about 2400 years ago, perhaps in Denmark or Normandy, and had descendants who ended up in England and southern Germany, across the Rhine from Switzerland.

The ethnic breakdown the various sites give you for the simpler autosomal tests are subject to different algorithms. ftDNA says I am about 1/3 scandinavian. Ancestry says about 5%. I uploaded my raw data from both ftDNA and Ancestry to Gedmatch and sure enough, I am the same person. The same data on Gedmatch was a close match to a sample from 23 and Me that was submitted, it turns out, by a guy who was the great-grandson of my maternal grandfather - someone I've never met as an adult but I have a family photo taken in 1958 (or so) with my grandfather and me, and this guy as a baby. I thought that was pretty cool.

I haven't bothered to do 23 and Me but I'm sure I will eventually just so I can tell people what I think of it. As far as I can tell it won't tell me anything I don't already know. With either Ancestry and ftDNA you can upload your data to a site called Prometheus.com and get all kinds of medical and other interpretation of your DNA for $5. Fascinating stuff.

not to speak for anyone else but I think he meant research on a family tree. I also am working on this and it's a great deal of work, albeit very interesting stuff. My cousin did my mothers side and I am working on my Dad's side. My mother's side is back to about the year 1050 and it has about 2700 people on it.

Work related to research on one's own family tree is what I meant. I thought that's what a customer was paying for.

It sounds like the customers are actually working on behalf of Ancestry.com and helping them out a great deal.

Fantastic stuff, Thomas. Thank you for sharing.

You all are making me more interested in looking into this.

Work related to research on one's own family tree is what I meant. I thought that's what a customer was paying for.

It sounds like the customers are actually working on behalf of Ancestry.com and helping them out a great deal.

The stuff ancestry provides is pretty amazing - marriage certificates for people in the 19th century, census forms, probate papers. The trees that people build and share are always a bit suspicious because people will copy each other's mistakes, but the scanned images of papers that ancestry itself provides are what makes the service worth it.

For example yesterday, on Facebook, someone asked if any knew who the parents were of some guy who lived in the early 1800s in Vermont was - I was able to find his marriage certificate which showed who his parents were, where they lived, and that his father was a shoemaker.

I'm Irish, German & Portuguese. My nana was born in Portugal.

You're living in a nice place if you're looking for, say, caldo verde and liquica.

Grew up in Gloucester and a neighbor friend served it often. Love it.

Cheers

You are correct.

You're living in a nice place if you're looking for, say, caldo verde and liquica.

Grew up in Gloucester and a neighbor friend served it often. Love it.

Cheers

I joke that I have the perfect mix of pissed off , drinking & pissed off.

I had an interesting experience in this area about 10 years ago and it's a long story. I will post it soon.

Been taking a few seminars at our local libraries on geneology. very interesting. found my dad's ship he came over on and my maternal great grandfather's military records. cool stuff.

Back