Any one else getting bumped from Patriots Planet to this web site listed?

Looks like I'm going to be doing a full format of my PC then:cuss::banghead:

Don't do that yet.

There are two freeware programs that can find much of the bad junk out there.

One is Malwarebytes. The other is Superantispyware.

If the first doesn't work, try the other.

Make sure you update them before running a full scan.

Oh and IMHO, Norton and Mcafee are crap.

Don't do that yet.

There are two freeware programs that can find much of the bad junk out there.

One is Malwarebytes. The other is Superantispyware.

If the first doesn't work, try the other.

Make sure you update them before running a full scan.

Oh and IMHO, Norton and Mcafee are crap.

Thanks, and what Internet security would you recommend?

I use Computer Associates Anti-virus Plus along with Zone Alarm Pro. The latter adds a similar access control feature that Windows added with Vista. Basically it won't let programs have access to certain parts of my system if it notices the program has changed or if it's the first time it ran. I have to give it permission to access those resources and I can tell it to always give it permission, if I know what it is.

One of the software guys I work with swears by Kaspersky for his anti-malware.

I'd also recommend picking up the free version of Advanced System Care.

It not only can improve your system performance, but it has some security features. Also, it has a feature that let's you look at all the programs that are launched at start up and look them up on-line to find out what they are. This can be very helpful in identifying if you've got malware installed.

Finally, I'd go to GRC.com. He's got some really cool widgets that will improve your security and his "shields up" section is a great way to test your firewall and system security.

Looks like I'm going to be doing a full format of my PC then:cuss::banghead:

You don't need to reformat the PC. Get Malwarebytes, a free download, it removes Malware. It will take care of this. If you google "remove mywebsearch" you will get all sorts of hits on it.

Another option is to visit trendmicro.com who has a very nice online scanner / removal tool also free. That too will take care of this.

This is a common but annoying malware infection, no worries.

I had a virus on a pc about 2 or 3 years ago that was quite wicked and immune to almost every antivirus program.

If you tried to drag components to the trash they immediately replicated back in the original folder. If you tried to run an antivirus the computer froze. If you tried to install a different antivirus it blocked the installation. Finally got I think it was Norton to install and kill it but it was brutal.

The moral of the story is that just because you have antivirus you aren't safe. Macs are a lot better but there is more that effects them than there used to be.

I started using Microsoft Security Essentials recently. It's a whole security package. It's working well so far although I know what to click and what not to click so I may not be a good guinea pig.

Mywebsearch usually comes with online games or something else that is installed and you most likely have a MyWebSearch toolbar that got installed also.

Usually when I get an infected pc to fix, I use Combofix (which is a one-time use product that will delete anything that it finds but sets a system restore point first just in case) and then Malwarebytes. They haven't failed me yet.

Are you being serious? Because I have the newest Norton’s Internet security installed..

He's right, though it's not technically a virus, it's adware which is not caught by your antivirus program. Just do a Google search for 'mywebsearch removal' and you'll see hundreds of results. It totally sucks to remove too. I had it on an old laptop last year and it took me about a month to get it removed all the way using Malware bytes and some mywebsearch removal utility that I downloaded (unfortunately I don't remember the name of it).

<<
you most likely have a MyWebSearch toolbar that got installed also.
>>

Never install ANYONE's toolbar for your browser. Doesn't matter if its a crap one like mywebsearch or yahoo or anybody elses. The intent of all of them is both to track what you're doing and to hit you with adds and popups. Or much worse as there are many whose sole intention is to deliver malware and adware.

I had a virus on a pc about 2 or 3 years ago that was quite wicked and immune to almost every antivirus program.

If you tried to drag components to the trash they immediately replicated back in the original folder. If you tried to run an antivirus the computer froze. If you tried to install a different antivirus it blocked the installation. Finally got I think it was Norton to install and kill it but it was brutal.

The moral of the story is that just because you have antivirus you aren't safe. Macs are a lot better but there is more that effects them than there used to be.

As Annihilus points out, there are other types of malware than just viruses. Spyware and Adware are just two other types of malware that won't necessarily be blocked by "anti-virus" software.

Generally you can get versions of anti-maleware that block all types of infections, but you have to look carefully at the description of the software you're using to see what it does and does not protect you from.

In addition, you need to check if the tool provides real time protection.

There are a lot of anti-malware programs out there that have free and purchased versions. Most of the free versions don't include real time protection. They can remove something if you run a scan with them, but they won't prevent something from getting onto your system.

mywebsearch is a huge, annoying virus. One of my sons clicked something and it crashed the computer and took countless hours to fix.
This. It sucks balls. I forgot how I got it off. I think I blocked that memory. ROFL
Pizza girls are the best, they could look like RG and I'd still love them. :toast:
Fun fact- I worked as a pizza delivery girl for awhile when we lived in teh city :) I haven't ate Dominoes since then :suicide:

This. It sucks balls. I forgot how I got it off. I think I blocked that memory. ROFL

Fun fact- I worked as a pizza delivery girl for awhile when we lived in teh city :) I haven't ate Dominoes since then :suicide:

Dominos isn't even pizza. It's like they got an ingredient list and then figured out how to get the cheapest alternative to every ingredient.

Dominos isn't even pizza. It's like they got an ingredient list and then figured out how to get the cheapest alternative to every ingredient.
Truth. It's like McDonald's compared to In N Out.

I started using Microsoft Security Essentials recently. It's a whole security package. It's working well so far although I know what to click and what not to click so I may not be a good guinea pig.

Mywebsearch usually comes with online games or something else that is installed and you most likely have a MyWebSearch toolbar that got installed also.

Usually when I get an infected pc to fix, I use Combofix (which is a one-time use product that will delete anything that it finds but sets a system restore point first just in case) and then Malwarebytes. They haven't failed me yet.

+1 on Microsoft security essentials. I had Norton and frankly it sucked, it's also a huge resource / memory hog. I have been very pleased with the Microsoft product. It's most excellent.

Back