Are we headed for a QB controversy?

No, we are not headed for a controversy.
Yes, Mac will get his job back.
This is what is most likely to happen, but we don't know that yet, and won't until Mac comes back. In the meantime, for now, I believe the dynamic has changed from :
QB1 Jones
QB2 Hoyer
QB3 Zappe

to:
QB1 Jones
QB2 Zappe ... who is now in competition with QB1.
Zappe hasn't done enough to overtake Jones at this point, but the two are competitive, much more so than TFB and JimmyG.

Why are so many here not remembering how Mac flatlined last year? It wasn't just this year, Jones wasn't right late last season.

It happened exactly after crappy assistant coaches and media were harping on Mac’s depth of throws or ypc or some other idiocy. Mac was throwing dimes at 80% completion per game, then they asked him to force it deep more for risky crappy deep ball opportunities. It was flat out bad direction being given to Mac. Mac can absolutely do what Zappe is being asked to do, but they weirdly give him worse direction and plays to run

This is what is most likely to happen, but we don't know that yet, and won't until Mac comes back. In the meantime, for now, I believe the dynamic has changed from :
QB1 Jones
QB2 Hoyer
QB3 Zappe

to:
QB1 Jones
QB2 Zappe ... who is now in competition with QB1.
Zappe hasn't done enough to overtake Jones at this point, but the two are competitive, much more so than TFB and JimmyG.
Oh, we're never seeing Hoyer again unless there's some nuclear accident or something.

The media and certain fans will make a bigger deal of it than it is. Mac hasn’t done enough for the QB1 position to be set in stone. Zappe less so. Their is no real controversy.
This is more of a slight QB predicament. A minor QB discrepancy. A mildly troublesome bout of QB indigestion. A decision will be made and onward we’ll go.
Or perhaps Wynn will make the decision for us.

The media and certain fans will make a bigger deal of it than it is. Mac hasn’t done enough for the QB1 position to be set in stone. Zappe less so. Their is no real controversy.
This is more of a slight QB predicament. A minor QB discrepancy. A mildly troublesome bout of QB indigestion. A decision will be made and onward we’ll go.
Or perhaps Wynn will make the decision for us.
The biggest difference is where they were picked in the draft...but, that never really mattered to BB in the past.

I like Mac, the kid is a baller. That being said, Zappe appears to be the better athlete with a better arm. If he keeps playing like this, does Mac automatically get the starting role back, especially if the Pats are winning?

Before you answer that, the Pats once had a Pro-Bowl caliber starting QB who ultimately lost his job to a low round draft pick (lower than Zappe).
Probably best to keep MAC out one more week so he does not re injure his ankle. Mac made comment himself a day or two after injury it may be 8-12 weeks, until a 4th rounder played lights out. You see what I see; Zappe has a better arm and he can wing it alot better and faster than MAC to my eye and I played QB for many years and don't get these sportscasters who have no clue and go just by what they read. I think MAC will play awesome when he comes back. Watch the boy play every game of college too and I do not buy a different team for MAC was m making a ton of errors this year but I think Mac will be awesome going forward too. Need to stop holding both these Boyz back.

I'd hold MAC out for Monday night. But I'd give Mac the start the following week.

Jesus, you make it seem as if Mac has a big sample size. Which he doesn’t.

Were you not one of many lamenting McDaniels and how he never took the training wheels off of Mac last year?

Zappe has played against two garbage defenses. Period. Jones did not. Miami and the Ravens have much better defenses than the Lions (who literally had no secondary) and the Browns whose best CB was out and who only have one player (Garrett) who’s outstanding.

Pump the brakes a bit. Zappe looked great, but he was playing against JV players.
Lots of truth here on your points.

I don't blame MAC for horrible head coaching first 6 games as Bill coached his worst 6 games as Patriots head coach or falling apart after bye. Mac was fine to my eyes. This year MAC had tons of his own troubles but I think he'll be fine coming back. Zappe has played great against anyone but more JV as you say. Zappe played awesome but fell apart after fumble if it really was a fumble for a series. Mac has been wacked big time and gets up like it's nothing.

Like you Zappe looks great. But once the JV teams go away and you face a real D knocking you on your butt blindside, we'll see. Great job so far. So many great qualities, but football is about how you respond after getting wacked or have 1:15 left to win or lose.

I'd hold Mac out Monday night just to be sure not to re-inure and then start him period next game. Mac 2 /5. Had the worst half of his career and interceptions but had a great first half. I expect Mac to come back and do a great job as starter.

fair point... Rookie wall? others weren't "right" end of last year either, like Judon, who we all love and is looking good so far, but lets see how everyone is looking at the latter half of the season... including whoever is at QB.
I'll take every win we can get, but won't get caught up in a mid season winning streak like I did last year.
bill was one of the worst coaches first 6 games last year and a fool needing a running back and benched stud Stevenso and looked as stupid as Grady Little in playoffs against Buffalo with arms folded. Bill seems back on track this year. Judon,noone could stop the run. I thought MAC himself was being limited but not the reason for issues or team losses. Falling apart last year after bye was very unexpected. Bill had no answers for Buffalo and couldn't coach. Guy was a mastermind past years but Bill has been fine all prison and so far. I was always fine with O Line coaching. Coaches can coach. Matt is not getting Valentine's and was a pill as head coach for personal skills but liked his D work prior.

Things are looking up for the team if Winn could get his finger out of his butt and stop killing us. I think MAC will be fine if he gets the start. I'd hold him out for re-injury concerns but then start him week after. Nice to have Zappe if we need him for any reason. Nice to have some youth and FINALLY stopping someone from running!

FattyMatty actually isn't doing terrible...
I always thought Matt would do great after s little learning. Matt's problem is his personality. Was a great D coach. Not my choice ever as a head coach. Sure would love to see a few wins against Buffalo. Need solid catching in. red zone and none of this penalty crap we saw last week!

Yup. Judon lost a lot of juice late last year as well...BUT, he's kicking ass this year! Mac isn't.
I don't blame MAC for ANYTING last year. Bad head coaching to Judon, line and others bdropping balls but not MAC. This year ALL on Mac in horrible decisions despite O line but I think Mac will be fine. I like who MAC is. I'd keep Mac out 1 more game so not to re-injure and then start him. MACcan take a hit. Zappe fell apart for a weird series after a possible fumble (Still seen no replay). Mac should be f

I'd really like to see Zappe going up against a top-tier team/defense before making a definitive judgement. Zappe going up against the Bills say I would love to see that. Just seeing how he'd deal with Von Miller, Matt Milano, Shaq Lawson etc
I'm more interested how he takes getting knocked on his ass 12 times in a game. Mac had no problem with hard hits.

I'm more interested how he takes getting knocked on his ass 12 times in a game. Mac had no problem with hard hits.
Which would definitely happen v the Bills seeing how Miller is playing. I'd day Zappe can take punishment, he's a nuggety looking player and a QB with his passing stats in college must have taken a lot of hits.

Which would definitely happen v the Bills seeing how Miller is playing. I'd day Zappe can take punishment, he's a nuggety looking player and a QB with his passing stats in college must have taken a lot of hits.
Lets hope! Looking great against the JV's and good eye! Would love to beat the Bills this year with either QB!

I was offered a job in Dublin around 1981 but had too much going on here.

Back