Asante Talking About A Trade

Samuel = Ty Law = Greedy pig. Samuel has every right to take this stance, but I think he's being exceptionally dumb. Money can't buy Super Bowl rings or victories or great teammates or happiness. He's insecure, trapped in the mindset that equates compensation with self worth. I feel sorry for such people.

Samuel's whining about Thomas getting so much $$$ is pathetic because the 49ers said they were willing to pay Thomas at least $1 mil/year more than the Pats did. Thomas took a fat-but-below-market contract to play for the Pats. That seems to be exactly what the Pats are offering Samuel, and he's insulted by the offer.

Do the rules specify WHICH 1ST ROUNDERS (e.g., at least as high as the one the league gave you) or WHICH YEAR (this year's and next or two this year)?

Anything stopping the Redskins from trading their #6 for two lower 1st rounders and then giving us those?

--James

JamesLavin on 04-05-2007 at 05:57 PM said:
Anything stopping the Redskins from trading their #6 for two lower 1st rounders and then giving us those?

Hell, I'd even take two low 1st for Samuel.

He's a very good young corner. He's not a great corner. He's had one good season--and some think it might have been motivated by his impending free agency (i.e. he gambled for picks to boost his stats). He's not a #1 corner; much like Branch, I think he's the #1 corner for the Pats simply because they don't have anyone better, but (much like Branch) on another team I think he's a #2 at best.

If Asante thinks his comments will force the Pats to negotiate, he obviously hasn't been paying attention for the past few years. If he keeps it up, then--again, much like Branch--he'll soon find himself on another team, bewildered as to how it all went so wrong so quickly and not realizing that he was the catalyst.

Take the seven mill, shut the $#&* up, and play. The more you yap, the more you look stupid and the less the fans will like you. JMO.

Yeah...what he said. I'm personally growing tired of this stuff quite quickly.

JD10367 on 04-05-2007 at 06:33 PM said:

If Asante thinks his comments will force the Pats to negotiate, he obviously hasn't been paying attention for the past few years. If he keeps it up, then--again, much like Branch--he'll soon find himself on another team, bewildered as to how it all went so wrong so quickly and not realizing that he was the catalyst.
Branch didn't lose though, he got the money he wanted. So I think Asante would be plenty happy if it worked out the same way.

I've heard rumors of Washinton being interested in Assante (true or not I don't know)

If true, and if Washington would trade their overall number 6 to the Pats for Assante, given their history not a real stretch, this would open up some real possibilities.

1. Draft Laron Landry at number 6. (WOW)

2. Move Eugene Wilson to Corner

3. Draft a Corner with their pick at 24

4. They will still have a pick at 28 to either use or deal for 2nd rounders this year or a package next year.

They could trade the number 6 for 1st round swap and a 2 this year and only have to move down a few spots w/ the possibility of still getting Landry.

I would hate to lose an experienced CB like Samuel going into a promising season but would also hate to see the team disrupted again by a high profile holdout. I would rather deal him for a high first now and parlay that into a few sure fire high pick players and extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds or another 1st rounder next year.

Yeah, trading Asante weakens them at corner. And they have to use picks on it, and they have to hope Wilson and Gay and Rodney all come back full-strength.

But look at the other side of the coin...

Adalius Thomas.

Three new wide receivers (Donte, Kelley, and Wes).

Sammy Morris.

Kyle Brady.

AND THREE FIRST ROUND #$&*ING DRAFT PICKS!!!

That's just insane!

JamesLavin on 04-05-2007 at 05:57 PM said:

--James
the Pats would be smart to offer to trade their two 1st round picks to the skins to make this deal work :)

Well forget the skins. They just signed their CB:(

Per Reiss:
Samuel options
With cornerback Asante Samuel publicly stating that contract negotiations with the Patriots aren't proceeding to his liking, here are five possibilities of where things could head from here:

BACK WHERE WE STARTED OPTION
Samuel signs the one-year, $7.79 million tender offer for franchise cornerbacks and plays for the Patriots.
The thinking: At the end of the day, it will be hard to pass up that money after Samuel made a total of about $2 million over his first four seasons.

THE HOLDOUT OPTION
Samuel holds out, with the idea of returning in Week 10 to earn an accrued season toward free agency.
The thinking: In his effort to get to unrestricted free agency, Samuel avoids the risk of injury for most of the season, while rolling the dice that the Patriots wouldn't place the franchise tag on him in 2008.

MEETING AT THE 50-YARD LINE OPTION
Samuel lowers his current contract demands, while the Patriots up their current offer and the sides reach an extension.
The thinking: In the end, both sides win, as Samuel gets more guaranteed money and the Patriots lock up a rising young player.

THE DEION BRANCH OPTION
Samuel is shipped out of town as part of a trade.
The thinking: Samuel could yield a valuable chip such a first-round draft pick, and the team that acquires him would sign him to the big contract he desires.

THE UNEXPECTED OPTION
The Patriots could play the leverage card, and remove the franchise tag, making Samuel a free agent at a time when teams have spent their big money.
The thinking: If the Patriots are convinced that Samuel would hold out and create a distraction, they could simply set him free, potentially costing him millions of dollars depending on the timing. That would also serve as a reminder for players in the same situation in future years.

FINAL ANALYSIS: In the end, our hunch is that Samuel will sign the one-year tender and play for the Patriots. The deadline for an extension is July 15.

-JJ- on 04-06-2007 at 01:34 AM said:
Well forget the skins. They just signed their CB:(

Former Colt and Cardinal David Macklin? :coffee: I don't think he's in Asante's league, nor would that stop the 'Skins from going after Samuel.

The patriots are set up to win another superbowl and hes trying to screw us all over

Nobody is going to offer him the money he wants. He had 1 good season ffs. If we trade him off it has to be to the Raiders or maybe to the Browns to help our buddy Romeo. Lets let him live the rest of his career in a bad team.

Izzo=Great on 04-06-2007 at 10:13 AM said:
Nobody is going to offer him the money he wants. He had 1 good season ffs. If we trade him off it has to be to the Raiders or maybe to the Browns to help our buddy Romeo. Lets let him live the rest of his career in a bad team.

Actually the only part of the Raiders team that is good is their secondary. Those guys played very well last year. It is just the rest of the team that sucks.

I think Washington signed Macklin because Springs has been hurt so much. I think Snyder would pull the trigger on an elite CB (the question is does he think Samuel is an elite CB). I would give up Samuel for the #6 pick only in a nanosecond. Landry will be there at #6 and we would be set at safety for a while. That would force the Pats to pick up a CB with one of their other 1st rounders. Hopefully they could turn the other 1st round pick for a 2nd rounder this year and a second rounder in 2008. To me this would be a dream scenario.

Bears are offering #6 pick overall for Assante.

That would get us Leron Landry...by far and away the best d-back in the draft.

And still have two 1st rounders.

I would do the deal.

No link....heard it on the radio.

The question that no one can answer right now is "Is Asante a one-season wonder or does the kid have real talent?"

A malcontent is not needed in this locker room. I miss Willie Mac, he'd have slapped some sense into Branch last year and Samuel this year.

At this point, if da Bears are offering that deal, you almost have to make it.

Why would the bears, who already have one player mad about the franchise tag, want another one?

I think its a good idea tho. Right now i think the best team in the NFC is the 49ers we need the bears and the saints to be strong enough to beat them.

We can beat the Bears and saints i think but im a little worried about the 49ers and i dont want to play them in the superbowl.

If the bears are offering number 6 for Asante, make the deal now. I can't believe people believe Samuel is that good. He had one good year as far as Ints go, but he still got burned several times. Make the trade.

Back