Asante Talking About A Trade

bsaeagle64 on 04-05-2007 at 07:57 AM said:
He and his camp are not that stupid. As I understand the rule, a player has to be available to play in only 6 games to be considered active for the season and gain a year towards his cumulative pension benefits. If he 'sits' he will do so for only the 1st 10 games of the season but will be ready to return in game 11.
correct he has until sometime in November to accept the deal.

• If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a “non-exclusive” franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

The signing period for non-exclusive franchise players to sign with new clubs is March 3 through November 9 (10th week of the season).

How much cap room is left? Is there even enough room left to give him an 'elite' contract in addition to signing all the rookies?

The point might be moot, unless they can give him guaranteed money against next year's cap too.

I'd franchise the whiner again next year and the year after that too. Lot's of players get franchised and go on and either play or negotiate a new contract. Heck, Freeney is willing to play by the rules in Indy, so why isn't Assante, emphasis on Ass.

Question: If a player sits out 10 games, we don't pay them, so do we recover that cap space hit?

Last year the Patriots boxed themselves in a corner with Branch, planning on signing him, and then they were left short at WR. I hope the same doesn't paly out with DBs this year. We have a great team on paper right now, including Asante, but we do need him, IMHO, or at least someone nearly as capable.

I think this changes draft day strategy a lot.

grogsox on 04-05-2007 at 08:49 AM said:
I think this changes draft day strategy a lot.
I think it changes public opinion of draft day - the front office was taught a lesson last year by Branch and the position was to be addressed April 28-29

Annihilus on 04-05-2007 at 08:33 AM said:
How much cap room is left? Is there even enough room left to give him an 'elite' contract in addition to signing all the rookies?

The point might be moot, unless they can give him guaranteed money against next year's cap too.

I am sure there is. He is already counting for $7+ million on the cap, so a new contract would probably actually lower that number.

Man, I was just about to start a thread about how good Assante has been this offseason too.

But I would rather trade him then keep him at an elite CB contract.

rumors of Washington signing Asante to a contract are floating around the NFL Network according to WEEI this morning

return would be a couple of 1st round picks unless a trade is made

mikiemo83 on 04-05-2007 at 09:27 AM said:
rumors of Washington signing Asante to a contract are floating around the NFL Network according to WEEI this morning

Sounds good, like I said with that front 7 they could be ok with Randle Gay and Hobbs if Rodney stays healthy.

I think money is better spent elsewhere on the field
"Elite" CBs are overated IMHO

It is different from Branch in that the Tag was involved, but you'd like to think that the FO learned from the Branch fiasco and will handle this bout better.

If one of those first rounders is this year and the other next year, I'd take it and run. The Skins have the #6 pick.

Question, is Assante a good/grat CB or the product of a good/great system. I've never really decided what the answer to this question is.

I doubt like hell that the 'skins have signed him (although they may be talking to him). If they have I'd like to thank them because 2 #1's is a hell of a return on this guy.

Benign Despot on 04-05-2007 at 10:34 AM said:
Question, is Assante a good/grat CB or the product of a good/great system. I've never really decided what the answer to this question is.

I doubt like hell that the 'skins have signed him (although they may be talking to him). If they have I'd like to thank them because 2 #1's is a hell of a return on this guy.
they would never sign him but possibly trade for him, I would take the #6 overall for him - and the 'skins are dumb enough to do it

I also would take this years no. 2 and next years no.1 if the 6th pick is too tough for them to deal

remember this was on WEEI this morning and they are know to pull rabbits and other things out of their arse

OK say a team signs Asante and we get the 2 1st round pick - would we not get and additional compensatory pick next year as compensation for loosing a free agent - say a 4th round pick or the equal to the round Asante was originally picked in?

JONATHAN! on 04-04-2007 at 10:37 PM said:
Again, though, like Peter King said Re: Lance Briggs,
Don't be PO'd at the team, be PO'd at the NFLPA and the CBA they signed.

THE PLAYERS AGREED TO THE RULE!

And, it is so obvious in situations like this when he waits until the FA market is playing out and the draft is looming to drop the bomb. Simply, to me, it is unscrupulous business. Someone please dredge up his quotes after being franchised. He's done a 180 and that sux. :mad:
Don't forget, the player still has to sign a contract even if he has been franchised. By the rules, he has until (I believe) sometime in November to sign it. The Pats are playing by the rules, and so is Samuel.

I have no problem with what him or the Pats are doing. While I think I would pay Samuel, I'm not going to get upset if Belichick thinks he's not worth what the market price is, but it's perfectly reasonable for Samuel to expect to get a market price, once he's honored his contract (and he has). This is a stalemate, thus I see a trade coming. The player holds most of the cards when he is franchised, up until he signs the contract. That's why the franchise tag wasn't eliminated by the union in the CBA.

Just like I think I would pay him, I also think if I were a player, I would play under the franchise contract. I just would probably wait until preseason starts before signing it (thereby missing most of the hard part of training camp).

The bottom line, I'm not mad at either side. It is what it is.

mikiemo83 on 04-05-2007 at 12:14 PM said:
OK say a team signs Asante and we get the 2 1st round pick - would we not get and additional compensatory pick next year as compensation for loosing a free agent - say a 4th round pick or the equal to the round Asante was originally picked in?

I think you'll find that once you tag a player you lose compensatory picks because part of the compensation given the pats is those picks included with the tag should another team choose to offer him a contract. Those stipulations of 2 first rd picks and the franchise tag takes Samuel out of the compensatory free agent catagory.

Compensatory picks are awarded for FA's that are lost with out compensation to the team they were with prior to FA.

The #6 pick drool
I have to go look at the draft board :)

If that happens I'd be shocked (in a very good way)

I would trade him for that #6 pick and be happy with that. Nothing else needed.

If Branch is worth a late first round pick, Samuel is certainly worth nothing more than an early first round pick.

The CBA might say a franchised player is worth 2 1st rounders, but you know realistically he's not worth that much.

The NFL would have to call the police if this deal went through, because I think Snyder could honestly say that Belichick and Pioli robbed him.

As has been said, just for this year's #6 pick I'd run naked through my neighborhood screaming with glee. That pick PLUS another pick? That pick plus another FIRST round pick?!? Any intelligent Pats fan should spend the remainder of the day :jerkit:. (Ed. Note: this implies you don't do that all day anyway. If you do, find another way to celebrate, LOL.)

Back