Asante Talking About A Trade

Anyone think the Pats franchised Asante for the sole purpose of trading him? Being that they are apparently worlds apart in contract negotiations.

Better than losing him to FA and getting nothing in return.

PSC_Pats_Fan on 04-06-2007 at 11:39 AM said:
How do the BEARS have the #6 pick in the draft? :huh:
'skins have no. 6 that who it is with

Skins may trade down for a player and a lower pick is the latest rumblings from sports radio hell

I can see why Samuel is pissed. Instead of getting to test the market, he's stuck with NE for 1 year with nothing guaranteed beyond that. Plus, while the Pats refuse to pay him the big money he wants, he watches Clements get a huge contract, and he watches the Pats spend a bunch of money on free agents. So from Asante's point of view, it's like the Pats are willing to pay other people, but not their own. I was wondering if all these signings would have that effect, and I can't say I'm sad to see that they have. Yes football is a business, but it seems comrade Kraft doesn't understand the place of people, loyalty, and emotion in the game. You can only treat your players like mindless cogs for so long before some of them start to get pissed.

SteelerFan87 on 04-06-2007 at 02:02 PM said:
I can see why Samuel is pissed. Instead of getting to test the market, he's stuck with NE for 1 year with nothing guaranteed beyond that. Plus, while the Pats refuse to pay him the big money he wants, he watches Clements get a huge contract, and he watches the Pats spend a bunch of money on free agents. So from Asante's point of view, it's like the Pats are willing to pay other people, but not their own. I was wondering if all these signings would have that effect, and I can't say I'm sad to see that they have. Yes football is a business, but it seems comrade Kraft doesn't understand the place of people, loyalty, and emotion in the game. You can only treat your players like mindless cogs for so long before some of them start to get pissed.
Oh get over it, the Pats didn't break the bank with their FA acquisitions, Thomas actually took less than he would have gotten in SF, so they didn't shell out too much on anyone. I'm sure the Pats aren't offering Asante $100 a game, they are offering him what they think is a fair representation of his value to their team, which is what they always do. Boo hoo he didn't get to test the market, that is the deal HIS union agreed to. Suck it up, play your ass off again next year while you pocket over $7 MILLION, and then make the killing on the open market. It's not freakin' rocket science.

skippy1999 on 04-06-2007 at 02:06 PM said:
Oh get over it, the Pats didn't break the bank with their FA acquisitions, Thomas actually took less than he would have gotten in SF, so they didn't shell out too much on anyone. I'm sure the Pats aren't offering Asante $100 a game, they are offering him what they think is a fair representation of his value to their team, which is what they always do. Boo hoo he didn't get to test the market, that is the deal HIS union agreed to. Suck it up, play your ass off again next year while you pocket over $7 MILLION, and then make the killing on the open market. It's not freakin' rocket science.

Preach on Brutha Skippy, preach on!

<<
<<
I can see why Samuel is pissed. Instead of getting to test the market, he's stuck with NE for 1 year with nothing guaranteed beyond that.
>>

Oh bull like he won't get a huge contract next year if he doesn't this one. And his pay per game this season is as much as he got paid all of last year. I have no sympathy for this crap.

:4321: :4321: :4321: 'Sante

From PFT

Please lit this be so....:bow:

POSTED 12:57 p.m. EDT, April 6, 2007

'SKINS TO MAKE A PLAY FOR SAMUEL?

Dan Snyder of the Washington Redskins can't help himself. Every offseason, he is compelled to make a big splash, in some way.

He didn't do it in free agency this year, for a change. So with a top-ten pick burning a hole in his draft board and Bears linebacker Lance Briggs (whom the 'Skins don't really need) not available via a flip-flip of first round picks, Snyder apparently will sniff around Pats cornerback Asante Samuel (whom the 'Skins don't really need).

Ryan O'Halloran of the Washington Times reports that the Redskins are expected to call the Patriots regarding Samuel, a free agent who has been slapped with the franchise tag.

The Redskins currently have cornerbacks Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot, and David Macklin under contract. Even if they trade or cut Springs, they don't need Samuel.

But Snyder can't help himself. He collects big-name players like Florio Jr. hoards McFarlane NFL figures, without regard to the manner in which his collection will interact on the field or in the locker room.

In hindsight, then, the decision of Samuel to recently go public with his dissatisfaction might have been a stroke of genius. With the Bears telling the Redskins that a flip-flop of first-round picks won't happen, the 'Skins need to find someone else to take the sixth overall pick off of their hands. And Samuel's comments apparently have caught Snyder's ear.

So for the No. 28 pick and Samuel, the Pats possibly could have the No. 6 overall pick. Heck, maybe they can also get the 'Skins to throw in Springs.

The question, then, is whether the Pats even want the No. 6 pick. If they do, the next question is whether the Patriots would try to package the No. 6 selection with the No. 24 pick (which they got from the Seahawks for Deion Branch) in an effort to move up to get once-in-a-generation receiver Calvin Johnson.

Does Springs still have some game left? If so, this would be a huge deal for the Patriots and the magical offseason continues...

Benign Despot on 04-06-2007 at 03:00 PM said:
From PFT

So for the No. 28 pick and Samuel, the Pats possibly could have the No. 6 overall pick. Heck, maybe they can also get the 'Skins to throw in Springs.

ABSOLUTELY

NO

F&*#$(G

WAY.

Why the hell would the Pats give up their 28th pick? In essence, they'd be giving Samuel to the 'Skins in order to move up 24 spots? F*** that!! If Branch was worth a low 1st-rounder, then Samuel's worth a high one. (In fact, he's probably worth MORE, not LESS. But I'd take the 6th pick for him, sure.)

JD10367 on 04-06-2007 at 04:44 PM said:
ABSOLUTELY

NO

F&*#$(G

WAY.

Why the hell would the Pats give up their 28th pick? In essence, they'd be giving Samuel to the 'Skins in order to move up 24 spots? F*** that!! If Branch was worth a low 1st-rounder, then Samuel's worth a high one. (In fact, he's probably worth MORE, not LESS. But I'd take the 6th pick for him, sure.)
you get in position to draft an extremely highly rated player lieke Landry ( to make SOKB happy) instead of the 3rd or 4th rated safety. I would make the deal if it was my decision but BB/Pioli know more than I so I'll trust them - it's only rumors

SteelerFan87 on 04-06-2007 at 02:02 PM said:

Clearly, being forced to survive on a meager salary of $7.5 million a year is cruel and inhumane. Without question Asante will be forced to eat ramen for the entirety of next season. I therefore suggest we take up a collection to raise at least another $3 million so Asante can eat real food and continue to provide for his family. That's all he is asking for and that's all I ask of everyone here. Won't you join me?

I completely understand how for security reasons the players want the long term contract. The 7 million is not guaranteed for one thing and the signing bonus is. Plus, with cap rules a large signing bonus tends to keep you around longer because the teams have to amortize the bonus over the length of the contract to avoid the big cap hit! But, Asante should keep his mouth shut IMO. Complaining about millions just makes the players look foolish and greedy. It doesn't accomplish anything. If the Pats don't think they can sign him for value he will be gone plain and simple. I think their position on these types of contract disputes is quite clear.

Me, personally, I couldn't care less about Samuel. He's dead to me as far as that goes. My #1 concern now is for the Pats to do what's best for them, period. If we can get something worthwhile in a trade I say ship him off to some God forsaken NFC shit hole like Arizona or Detroit and let him enjoy his money while never even having a chance at the playoffs ever again.

People who support spoiled brats like Samuel need a good smack in the mouth. Maybe that'll smarten them up. I wish to God all the major sports would crack down on pieces of garbage like this, say somethin like "Ok, fine if you don't want to honor your contract/collective bargaining agreement you can go rot in NFL Europe/AHL/AAA/CBA" See how you like getting paid $40,000 a year and riding 8 hours to a game on a bus.

The inmates are running the asylum folks, it's not so bad in the NHL now that the owners grew a pair and locked out the players. Baseball is the worst. I know all of you jizz all over the Red Sox whenever they're mentioned, but thinking about this fairly and remembering all the players the Yankees bought, why should any team be able to just buy a guy from Japan instead of having him go through the draft? It's not fair and is one of the 100 or so things wrong with baseball.

The one nice thing about not winning the SB this year is that scum sucker Samuel didn't get another ring.

Asante and #28 FOR #6 and 4th round pick

=

#6 Laron Landry and #24 Leon Hall or Darrelle Revis

=

Very good secondary for years to come, and both players would be less of a cap hit (rookie contracts) than Samuel would be.

SamBam39 on 04-07-2007 at 07:24 AM said:
I completely understand how for security reasons the players want the long term contract. The 7 million is not guaranteed for one thing and the signing bonus is. Plus, with cap rules a large signing bonus tends to keep you around longer because the teams have to amortize the bonus over the length of the contract to avoid the big cap hit! But, Asante should keep his mouth shut IMO. Complaining about millions just makes the players look foolish and greedy. It doesn't accomplish anything. If the Pats don't think they can sign him for value he will be gone plain and simple. I think their position on these types of contract disputes is quite clear.
I agree about being pissed but he needs to realize the fans who pay don't like to hear it

as I said bfore do not compare last year to this year at $700,000 to $7,8000,000 not guaranteed

but look at $7,800,000 not guaranteed instead of $12,000,000 or more up to $20,000,000 guaranteed plus security of at least three years based on cap hit

I thought the $7,800,000 was guaranteed isnt that what "franchise tag" means?

Here's a non-analytical, and slightly drunk, reaction to Assante Samuel.

Fruck you. Really. Stop thinking the Pats should pay you like the drunken sailors who run the Niners paid Nate Clements. First, Clements aint worth it and the fact that the Niners are run by tard farms doesn't mean that BB and Pioli are idjuts, too.

And STFU about holding out. We know you have that leverage, but frankly, just do it or don't do it. Pats fans who struggle to go to the games or make blue collar salaries just aren't going to feel sorry for a guy whose downside is $7.9 MM for playing for the best run damn franchise in the NFL.

But really, if you don't get it, go the way of Lawyer Milloy who hasn't won jack since refusing to play for $3 mm in 2003. The Pats will trade you and parlay you into something useful, and the Pats will remain competitive in the process. And face it, Assante, even with you playing at your absolute best, the Pats weren't good enough last year. Said differently, you weren't THE difference maker last season and you should not be paid $10 MM a year for 8 years.

So Fruck off, you dipshick.

Back