Battle of the Bands 2008 - the 60s FINALS

Choose one

• The Beatles

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • The Rolling Stones

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters
Yes, it could have even went the other way. ;)

It very well could have.

Course, the guy who produced Piper was the same guy who produced the Beatles albums, I think until Rubber Soul or Revolver, don't remember which.

Even more chance for a tad bit of influence. ;)

Agreed. The Beatles brought English rock and roll to America, but The Stones brought rock, blues rock, and a totally different sound that has continued for 45+ years. They have always maintained an edginess in a world where music changes every ten years or so. They have longevity and incredible musical genius.

The Stones are the single-most legendary band in the last 4 1/2 decades, IMO.

I tend to agree with PFL. At this point in the voting process I tend to vote for what group would come on the radio and would I switch stations or listen. Granted they all have great songs, but of the older bands I'd most likely listen to the Stones over Led Zep,Beatles,or Floyd.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that the Who have more power because their songs are in commercials and at sporting events???

Because if that's the case.... Beatles' songs have been used in a lot more commercials and as TV theme songs than The Who's. :Lecture:

And, as I mentioned in another thread, Pete Townshend was greatly influenced by The Kinks and Ray Davies, so if you're praising The Who, than you have to praise The Kinks.

No not in the least. I meant they finally made it into commericals after never being a mainstream group. The only reason they even make the top ten is because of their longevity.

yeah they liked the Kinks but hardly made them the Who.Townsend took the 1-4-5 progression and reversed it.

No not in the least. I meant they finally made it into commericals after never being a mainstream group. The only reason they even make the top ten is because of their longevity.

yeah they liked the Kinks but hardly made them the Who.Townsend took the 1-4-5 progression and reversed it.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I was just confused as to what you trying to say. Got it now. :thumb:

And while Townshend liked The Kinks, it was Davies lyrics that he really liked, and influenced him. I don't know if you've seen it, but in the History of Rock n' Roll that was on VH1, Townshend actually said that Davies should be a Poet Laureate and went on about how Davies' writing really influenced him right from the start. Which may be why I love both bands so much. :shrug:

Tough decision, but I had to go with the Beatles. Loved em as a kid, and still like more of their music than the Stones music.

The Rolling Stones defined what it means to be in a rock and roll band. They've lasted longer than the beatles, imo put out better songs than the beatles, and imo were just if not more influential then the beatles.

Great bands all. This is very hard to pick, but I will go with the Beatles. The later individual album work seemed better with them compared to the Stones. Abbey Road and Rubber Soul are favorites

I took the Stones, I listen to more of their stuff today. I totally get the influence of the Beatles, but based purely on what I'm still listening to, I'm going Stones.

My fave Stones song is Gimme Shelter, in part because I heard one of those behind the scenes type shows on the radio and the backup singer said she did her part in one take cause Mick wanted a raw sound. Love it.

Back