BB Hates Technology

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
If he's expanding on it this much, it must be bad and probably explains why he slammed his on the bench during the Buffalo game.

Bill Belichick has had it with tablets....

By Mike Petraglia

From the moment that Bill Belichick was trying to fix his car clock in his own NFL Films documentary, it’s been clear that the head coach and technology don’t always mix.

But the coach gave it his best chance, using tablets on the sidelines to read pictures of plays on the field and make in-game adjustments. That even included video this preseason in an experiment through the NFL.

But now, Belichick has reached his breaking point. No more tablets on the sidelines. Why? They’re just not dependable. He went into great detail Tuesday, spending over five minutes explaining his decision to break with technology.

“As you know, there are multiple communication systems on the sideline. And as you probably noticed, I’m done with the tablets. I’ve given them as much time as I can give them,” Belichick said. “They’re just too undependable for me. I’m going to stick with pictures as several of our other coaches do as well because there’s just not enough consistency in the performance of the tablets. I just can’t take it anymore.”

There was the image of Belichick destroying his tablet during the 16-0 loss to the Bills. But there’s more to it than that. Much more. Belichick was one of thousands on Sunday who was inconvenienced by a breakdown of the internet service at the start of the Bengals game.

What Belichick doesn’t understand is why the NFL limits teams to their ability to work with the equipment during the week to make sure both teams can have good communication with their players and coaches during games.

“The other communication systems involve the press box to the coaches on the field and the coach on the field, the signal-caller to the quarterback-coach signal-calling system. Those fail on a regular basis. They’re very few games that we play, home or away, day, night, cold, hot, preseason, regular season, postseason, doesn’t make any difference, there are very few games where there aren’t issues in some form or fashion with the equipment. Again, there’s a lot of equipment involved, too. There’s headsets in the helmets, there’s the beltpack communication, there’s a hook-up or a connection to internet service or that process and so forth with the coaches in the press box. There’s a number of pieces of equipment. There’s a number of connections. They’re on different frequencies, again not that I know anything about this [technology].

“But as it’s been explained to me, there’s a lot of things that are involved in it. Inevitably, something goes wrong somewhere at some point in time. I’d said weekly, we have to deal with something. Dan Famosi is our IT person and he does a great job of handling those things. This is all league equipment and we have it. We use it but it isn’t like we have the equipment during the week and work with it and say, ‘OK, this is a problem. Let’s fix this.’ That’s not how it works. We get the equipment… a few hours before the game and we test it and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Usually, by game time, it is working but I would say not always.

“Then, during the game, sometimes something happens and it has to be fixed and first of all, they have to figure out what the problem is. Is it a battery? Is it the helmet? Is it the coaches’ pack? Again, it could be one of 15 different things. I would just say there are problems in every game. There were problems last week but there were problems the week before that, too. Some are worse than others. Sometimes, both teams have them. Sometimes one team has them and the other team doesn’t have them. There’s an equity rule that’s involved there on certain aspects of the communication system but not on all aspects. What happens on one side the other team has to have the same. If ours are down theirs have to be down and vice versa. But that’s only true on certain aspects of the communication system, not everything.

Ironically, the Patriots are playing the Steelers in Pittsburgh this week. The last time these two teams played, the season opener of 2015 at Gillette Stadium, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin suggested that the Patriots were piping in radio play-by-play calls of the game to the Steelers coaches’ headsets, interfering with their ability to call plays. Belichick’s point is that it’s the NFL is in charge of controlling that, not the Patriots, something Rodney Harrison agreed with, calling Tomlin’s charges “utterly ridiculous” in response.

“Overall, there’s a lot of complexity to the technology, there’s complexity to the multiple systems,” Belichick noted. “There are a lot of failures. I know on our end, Dan does a great job to fix those as quickly as possible. He has very limited access to. I don’t know how much urgency there is on the other part, from the league’s standpoint. How much urgency is there from them to everything right? I don’t know. I’m not involved in that.

“It was problem last week. It’s basically a problem every week. The degrees aren’t always the same but we’re usually dealing with something. But as far as the tablet goes, there was an experiment in a couple of preseason games… where we had video on the tablets. But for me, personally, it’s a personal decision. I’m done with the tablets. I’ll use the paper pictures from here on because… I’ve given it my best shot. I’ve tried to work through the process but it just doesn’t work for me and that’s because there’s no consistency to it. Long answer to a short question, sorry.”

Well, I don't know what he hates or not. That isn't what I got from the presser. I believe he is just fed up with and has no time for things that don't work.

5 min and 25 sec rant, lol, but it's really the wifi signal that is causing BB's frustration rather than the Surface.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/09000d5d8226fa64/A-Football-Life-Car-trouble

09000d5d8226fa64_video_cp.jpg

:coffee:

5 min and 25 sec rant, lol, but it's really the wifi signal that is causing BB's frustration rather than the Surface.

The league can't even get some walkie talkies to work right. What makes anyone think they can handle wifi?

Tabletgate ROFL

The NFL will be even more p**sed at BB now as I'm sure MS paid a lot of money to have ther devices used by the league and displayed prominently and now BB has basically trashed their devices very publically.

Meanwhile in Cupertino...

1473359703078.jpg

If you can't "DO YOUR JOB" he has no use for you, whether you are human or inanimate.

Being result oriented Bill probably could give a **** about WHY.

If it doesn't work fix it 100% and fix it fast, or move on, I'm thinking he's thinking.

Microsoft has released the following statement after Bill Belichick's remarks Tuesday on giving up on usage sideline tablet: "We respect Coach Belichick's decision, but stand behind the reliability of Surface. We continue to receive positive feedback on having Surface devices on the sidelines from coaches, players and team personnel across the league. In the instances where sideline issues are reported in NFL games, we work closely with the NFL to quickly address and resolve."

Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer

Microsoft has released the following statement after Bill Belichick's remarks Tuesday on giving up on usage sideline tablet: "We respect Coach Belichick's decision, but stand behind the reliability of Surface. We continue to receive positive feedback on having Surface devices on the sidelines from coaches, players and team personnel across the league. In the instances where sideline issues are reported in NFL games, we work closely with the NFL to quickly address and resolve."

Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer

I assume that Bill defines both quickly and resolve differently than the Microsoft PR Department.

Cheers, BostonTim

You can just imagine the MS marketing execs whining on the phone to Roger, "Make him stop Roger, you promised!"

Well, I don't know what he hates or not. That isn't what I got from the presser. I believe he is just fed up with and has no time for things that don't work.

Ummm...think of it as click bait. :shrug_n:

Saw this comment on PFT:

"He was probably getting a Windows update in the 4th quarter"

Seriously, If i were an Apple marketing guy, I'd make hay out of this. Surely some clever commercials will be on the way.

I can see BB standing on the sideline watching those windows 10 little balls moving in a circle waiting for the pic to come up. I've got to hand it to him for doing what so many of us have wanted to do....smash the dam thing. oh If I had a nickel for every time I've wanted to do that.

I assume that Bill defines both quickly and resolve differently than the Microsoft PR Department.

Cheers, BostonTim

Agree.

He couldn't care less about the resolve part of it, he just doesn't want there to be a need for a resolve during a game.

BTW, I liked his shot at the NFL as well:

from the post above said:
I don’t know how much urgency there is on the other part, from the league’s standpoint. How much urgency is there from them to everything right? I don’t know. I’m not involved in that.

This is a down right act of NFL treason!

It's gotta be a Windows 10 issue. I still have my floppies for 3.1 if BB wants them. ;-)

I work for a Fortune 200 company with a massive IT infrastructure. We introduced Surface tablets to a few groups to replace laptops, including mine, and those pieces of shyte got dropped real quick. A failed experiment to the max. I fvcking hated that thing. it lasted 2 months.

Back