Before I forget, Devin McCourty needs to retire.

TommyD420

Joe Milton is my QB1
Reaction score
It's been a steady decline over the last two seasons, he can't cover WRs, TEs or RBs, and now he can't tackle or seem to get lined up properly again.

Thanks for everything Devin, but that cupboard's bare now. Exposed badly in the 2nd half tonight.

the general and rapid decline in safety play the last couple seasons has another component...

njf1m7vmkddnhsayqltl.jpg

the general and rapid decline in safety play the last couple seasons has another component...

njf1m7vmkddnhsayqltl.jpg

I'm not going that far. Harmon's fine. Chung's fine.

It's Devin McCourty who can't play anymore. I dunno if he's hurt or not, but if he's hurt, he should go on IR. If he can't play anymore, he should retire.

Harmon was hot garbage tonight. That last one play touchdown was on him. It's not the first time he looks stranded.

That said, McCourty can't cover anybody. It's baffling how he's been in the league this long.

Harmon was hot garbage tonight. That last one play touchdown was on him. It's not the first time he looks stranded.

That said, McCourty can't cover anybody. It's baffling how he's been in the league this long.

It wasn't on him, Harmon had the other half of the field. McCourty jumped into the box (as he had the whole game long, sucked up on play action like he was at Rutgers still) and blew his responsibility on the line (as he did the whole game long).

You can't really make a fair judgement on your players after they just played a team like the Chiefs. It's just not fair to them.

You can't really make a fair judgement on your players after they just played a team like the Chiefs. It's just not fair to them.

Dude the pats defense has been iffy for years, we watching McCourty every week, has nothing to do with your arena league team.

DMac's play has been in steady decline going back to early last year when our excuse for him was that he was doing too much trying cover up for mistakes in communication by Gilmore, Butler et al. Why DMac was lined up on Tyreek Hill is a huge question in my mind. Easy play for Mahomes and Hill. I'm not ready to put DMac out to pasture but we need a suitable backup who will be ready soon.

Jason has been outstanding this year so far.

I don't know. I feel like this is something that none of us were going to forget whether there was a thread for it or not.

has nothing to do with the Queefs. This is an old story that's long and boring.

Around here, at the apex of real football, it's stupid for you to tink everything is about you. You'll go away shortly and we'll forget you till you show up again.

Cheers

Look, I like McCourty. Jr and Sr (and honestly I have no idea which is which, as far as who is the eldest). Belichick likes him, he's been around for a while, and he's been solid. Just look at this beautiful interview, in which he peels back the curtain more than almost anyone on the NE staff, while not revealing a single gameplan element or violating the Patriot Way.

https://www.patriots.com/news/transcript-devin-mccourty-press-conference-10-18

He knows he messed up. He was asked about it, directly but indirectly, and referenced that it had been addressed. I trust that. Seriously, the guy has been a captain what, 6x since 2011? If you want to talk about bad, bad plays, there have been plenty of those to go around, in all three phases. The guy's locker room contributions, schematic knowledge, and assistance in getting the defense as a whole into the right spots can't be ignored or denied. And yes, I feel it too when the defense gives up 40+ to the Chiefs or the Eagles or whatever. I recognize that those with the most leadership take the most blame. But seriously, if you have a top 5 defensive player list and McCourty isn't on it you're being obtuse or disingenuous. Let's please not call for his head while the team has legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.

Look, I like McCourty. Jr and Sr (and honestly I have no idea which is which, as far as who is the eldest). Belichick likes him, he's been around for a while, and he's been solid. Just look at this beautiful interview, in which he peels back the curtain more than almost anyone on the NE staff, while not revealing a single gameplan element or violating the Patriot Way.

https://www.patriots.com/news/transcript-devin-mccourty-press-conference-10-18

He knows he messed up. He was asked about it, directly but indirectly, and referenced that it had been addressed. I trust that. Seriously, the guy has been a captain what, 6x since 2011? If you want to talk about bad, bad plays, there have been plenty of those to go around, in all three phases. The guy's locker room contributions, schematic knowledge, and assistance in getting the defense as a whole into the right spots can't be ignored or denied. And yes, I feel it too when the defense gives up 40+ to the Chiefs or the Eagles or whatever. I recognize that those with the most leadership take the most blame. But seriously, if you have a top 5 defensive player list and McCourty isn't on it you're being obtuse or disingenuous. Let's please not call for his head while the team has legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.

It's not a 'bad' day', it's a bad season+playoffs+6 games to this point.

He hasn't been 'top 5' on the Patriots defense since the 2016 playoffs. At any point. It's not always a gradual decline. Wrong side of 30. Sometimes it just happens that fast.

It's not a 'bad' day', it's a bad season+playoffs+6 games to this point.

He hasn't been 'top 5' on the Patriots defense since the 2016 playoffs. At any point. It's not always a gradual decline. Wrong side of 30. Sometimes it just happens that fast.

Out of curiosity, then, who are your top 5 for defense right now?

Gilmore, Hightower, I will give you those over McCourty without argument. Chung, maybe Flowers, I'd also put on the board and wouldn't quibble over position. But frankly with the defense the Patriots have I'm very curious who else you're putting up there.

Out of curiosity, then, who are your top 5 for defense right now?

Gilmore, Hightower, I will give you those over McCourty without argument. Chung, maybe Flowers, I'd also put on the board and wouldn't quibble over position. But frankly with the defense the Patriots have I'm very curious who else you're putting up there.

Honestly I think flowers is by far our best defensive player, and Hightower has only declined more and more thru the first 6 games of this season.

Back