Bill Belichick and the Lamar Hunt Trophy

subroc

Interested Observer
Reaction score
Bill Belichick and the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

The trophy presentation of the the Lamar Hunt Trophy was news fodder again. He appears to have some disdain for it. He took it from Robert Kraft and appeared to try to hand it off to Jonathan Kraft without so much as a glance. He did something similar last year as well.

Now some might say, he has little use for the AFC championship and is all about SBs. I expect they would have a point. But, he brought his conference championship rings to the ring ceremony last year so appears, at least on the surface, to be proud of the accomplishments.

Years past at some championship ceremony I remember him hoisting the OLD Lamar Hunt Trophy proudly.

Who can figure what is in this guys head? The question is, is his disdain with the NFL for changing the trophy? He is a big history guy. Or, has he reached a point where only the Lombardi Trophy matters?

I think it is because the job is not done and to accept the Hunt Trophy is to almost say the task at hand is complete. He will not touch the SB trophies either during the media photo shoot.

but he will reflect back on the season after there are no more games to play.

BB is on to the next game, as he is throughout the season. A 15-3 record is one win short of the goal. He'll reflect on this game and this year after the SB.

Same scenario plays out every year in NHL.

The teams won't even touch or remove the conference trophies from the table, at least most of them won't. Not sure when that started, but I recall the '88 and '90 B's teams skating around the ice with the PoW trophy, but not in '11.

That unwritten NHL rule is known and noted. I doubt that affects Bill Belichick in any way, especially in the face of how he has dealt with the trophy in the past. He did accept it both times, so his hands were on the thing.

This is because BB is old-school. The previous LH trophy was heavy, bronze and symbolic. The current trophy sucks. Jerry Thornton hit the nail on the head when he said it looks like where you put Kryptonians when they are on trial.

It's like when they asked Brady which SB ring was his favorite, and he said, "The next one."

That unwritten NHL rule is known and noted. I doubt that affects Bill Belichick in any way, especially in the face of how he has dealt with the trophy in the past. He did accept it both times, so his hands were on the thing.

Sidney Crosby has picked up the Prince of Whales trophy and skated with it the last 2 years....things change..

Bill Belichick and the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

The trophy presentation of the the Lamar Hunt Trophy was news fodder again. He appears to have some disdain for it. He took it from Robert Kraft and appeared to try to hand it off to Jonathan Kraft without so much as a glance. He did something similar last year as well.

Now some might say, he has little use for the AFC championship and is all about SBs. I expect they would have a point. But, he brought his conference championship rings to the ring ceremony last year so appears, at least on the surface, to be proud of the accomplishments.

Years past at some championship ceremony I remember him hoisting the OLD Lamar Hunt Trophy proudly.

Who can figure what is in this guys head? The question is, is his disdain with the NFL for changing the trophy? He is a big history guy. Or, has he reached a point where only the Lombardi Trophy matters?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ing-10-huge-rings-at-the-patriots-ring-party/

He wore the AFC Championship rings on his index finger to make a "point" (get it?) - they can always be better. A reminder of the losses and failures. In his eyes if they lose next week, the AFC Championship hardware will serve as a permanent reminder of their failures in the Super Bowl. If they win, the hardware is rendered moot and irrelevant.

Considering that, is it really surprising that he would have such disdain for it? What he truly relishes which he just earned is an opportunity, and that will vanish either way in 2 weeks and doesn't sit in a trophy case.

On a purely, purely speculative level from someone who Doesn't know him at all (not that the above isn't speculation as well), I'd imagine his attitude towards that changed in 2007. His father having passed away recently, having gone through SpyGate, trying to make a point to the league, being within 1 game of a perfect season, there were so many reasons why he probably wanted that win in 2007 more than any of the times before. Yet the AFC Championship hardware from that year endures, a permanent reminder of coming up one game short.

Players and coaches can feel however they want but winning the Hunt trophy is a massive accomplishment. We have done it now 10 times (3 times on the road) out of 14 tries. That is an amazing winning percentage in the sports second biggest game every year.

Players and coaches can feel however they want but winning the Hunt trophy is a massive accomplishment. We have done it now 10 times (3 times on the road) out of 14 tries. That is an amazing winning percentage in the sports second biggest game every year.
you are correct but you still have a game to play. Celebrate after that one.

I only buy SB hats, AFCCG are nice but it is not the final goal.

Back