Board down time. Please read.

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Courtesy of Daface at CP - According to Austin Chief, the long-awaited server move is almost here. The Planet will likely be COMPLETELY down for an extended period of time sometime this week. This is all preliminary and depends on how things go, but the current plan sounds like Patriots Planet will be migrated over late tonight (Monday) and ChiefsPlanet will go late tomorrow night (Tuesday).

While the moves are happening, the respective sites will be down for quite a while. To put a guess to it, I'd put the downtime estimate at about 4 hours on the low end and 24 hours on the high end (for each site). Hopefully it'll mostly be during the night, but you never know.

If there is extended down time, head over to the temp Patriots forum at soxplanet.com. If you never bothered to register, you'll have to email me.....if something goes drastically wrong and we are down for an extended time, I will figure out a way to open up registration.

Remember also, I believe this is only hardware. We will still have our board issues until vb gets updated, but the errors will happen much faster. ;)

Thanks all.

Temp forums here:

http://www.soxplanet.com/forums/foru...s-Planet-Forum

Board down for an undetermined period of time?

:spock:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zDAmPIq29ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just a heads up on the new server itself.. it is a full 10X more powerful than the old server in terms of RAM and just about every other thing.

Immediately following the upgrade I'll need to get your input on s/w upgrades. Basically there are 4 choices we have.. I'll list them from least likely to most.

#1 Complete s/w change to a different platform
#2 Upgrade to VB4
#3 Upgrade to the latest but still deprecated version of VB3
#4 Upgrade to the latest VB which is called VB 5 Connect

The reason VB3 is more likely than VB4 is because if you make the leap to VB4 there is really no reason not to just bite the bullet and move to 5.

The issue is.... VB5 is different... VERY different and I may need some help with getting it skinned to look how you want it.

If you choose VB5, I can set up a beta site for it that you guys can play with and let the admins here arrange the look and feel and get it how you like it before we make the actual switch.

Thanks for your patience!

I remain a member of the illiterati. Now that the Other Sports board is gone, where do I find the sox planet link?

TIA

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up.

Tim it's on the main page when you click on patriots planet if your being serious. I saw no coffee guy so……….

~Dee~

Just a heads up on the new server itself.. it is a full 10X more powerful than the old server in terms of RAM and just about every other thing.

Immediately following the upgrade I'll need to get your input on s/w upgrades. Basically there are 4 choices we have.. I'll list them from least likely to most.

#1 Complete s/w change to a different platform
#2 Upgrade to VB4
#3 Upgrade to the latest but still deprecated version of VB3
#4 Upgrade to the latest VB which is called VB 5 Connect

The reason VB3 is more likely than VB4 is because if you make the leap to VB4 there is really no reason not to just bite the bullet and move to 5.

The issue is.... VB5 is different... VERY different and I may need some help with getting it skinned to look how you want it.

If you choose VB5, I can set up a beta site for it that you guys can play with and let the admins here arrange the look and feel and get it how you like it before we make the actual switch.

Thanks for your patience!

First I'd like to give my thanks to what is normally a thankless job providing the tech support for this loony bin.

:thumb: :notworthy: :jclap:

That being said, I don't know enough about the SW to comment on what is the best option.

However, since you asked, I'll make one comment.

I use Forum Runner on my iOS devices and I occasionally get a "parse error" or something to that effect both when I post and when I try to open certain threads.

The work around for the posting issue is to simply cancel the post and it ends up there anyway.

the thread issue has no work around. if I get a parse error, I can't open the thread.

I mentioned this here once before and IIRC, one of the Mods indicated it had something to do with the software and would hopefully be fixed during the upgrade.

Assuming my memory is correct, then if one of the options would solve that problem and one wouldn't, I personally would like to see the one that fixes it selected.

If you guys decide not to, for your own reasons, that's fine. I just thought I'd give you my $0.02 on the subject.

For comparison, Soxplanet is running VB 4, not a lot different.

I have not worked with VB5 yet, but it has been out awhile now so hopefully they have the issues they initially had with it worked out.

I worry that if we stay with VB3, we'll break again as things like PHP get updated.

If you can set up the test site, Austin, and still get all the messages and threads transferred over after, that may work. Gives us plenty of time to learn it and for me to find out what plugins I can add to get us customized, and get the look and feel correct.

Maybe if you do do that, you could give us a minor version upgrade on 3 to get us current with PHP to reduce the errors?

Thanks Austin.

For comparison, Soxplanet is running VB 4, not a lot different.

I have not worked with VB5 yet, but it has been out awhile now so hopefully they have the issues they initially had with it worked out.

I worry that if we stay with VB3, we'll break again as things like PHP get updated.

If you can set up the test site, Austin, and still get all the messages and threads transferred over after, that may work. Gives us plenty of time to learn it and for me to find out what plugins I can add to get us customized, and get the look and feel correct.

Maybe if you do do that, you could give us a minor version upgrade on 3 to get us current with PHP to reduce the errors?

Thanks Austin.

The VB3 update is likely coming tomorrow but it will depend on timing and *fingers crossed* no issues migrating to the new server.

We might as well take the Ferrari over the Ford Pinto.

First I'd like to give my thanks to what is normally a thankless job providing the tech support for this loony bin.

:thumb: :notworthy: :jclap:

This and then some to all who make this board possible many thanks!

~Dee~

I went out looking for a good vb5 forum to give people an idea of it and...I don't know man, I am still reading a LOT of complaints about vb5, with many claiming that VB is now dead.

... if your being serious. I saw no coffee guy so……….

~Dee~

Deadly.

There's really no chance for humor when I'm discussing my technology deficiencies. :coffee: and thanks.

Cheers, BostonTim

Temp forums here:

http://www.soxplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/8-Temporary-Patriots-Planet-Forum

So you may want to consider this sentiment that I am reading quite a bit Austin, for both us (the canaries in the coal mine ;) ) and CP

vbulletin is on life support. If you want to stay with vbulletin stay on version 4. It took a while, but, it is stable and mostly bug free. Don't upgrade to vbulletin 5. In fact you should stay far away from it.

If that is true, my vote in order is the last version of vb4, then vb3, then vb5 or xeno or whatever :thumb: But we'll adjust to whatever you decide to go with.

First I'd like to give my thanks to what is normally a thankless job providing the tech support for this loony bin. :thumb: :notworthy: :jclap: That being said, I don't know enough about the SW to comment on what is the best option. However, since you asked, I'll make one comment. I use Forum Runner on my iOS devices and I occasionally get a "parse error" or something to that effect both when I post and when I try to open certain threads. The work around for the posting issue is to simply cancel the post and it ends up there anyway. the thread issue has no work around. if I get a parse error, I can't open the thread. I mentioned this here once before and IIRC, one of the Mods indicated it had something to do with the software and would hopefully be fixed during the upgrade. Assuming my memory is correct, then if one of the options would solve that problem and one wouldn't, I personally would like to see the one that fixes it selected. If you guys decide not to, for your own reasons, that's fine. I just thought I'd give you my $0.02 on the subject.

All of this. Forum Runner has so many issues now thanks to the recent issues here.

Thank you for all you guys do there and here. And thanks for the heads up.

1st: Thank you. I appreciate it.

2nd: I would vote for the most modern version of whatever platform you decide to use.

All of this. Forum Runner has so many issues now thanks to the recent issues here.

I'm not sure what platform you use but if you bypass all the apps and just do it the old fashion way and bookmark the link it works just like old times. Well if you have an apple device it does. I made the mistake of doing the app stuff and it never worked right for me it wasn't until lately it's work right. But then again I hate apps.

~Dee~

Temp forums here:

http://www.soxplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/8-Temporary-Patriots-Planet-Forum

So you may want to consider this sentiment that I am reading quite a bit Austin, for both us (the canaries in the coal mine ;) ) and CP

vbulletin is on life support. If you want to stay with vbulletin stay on version 4. It took a while, but, it is stable and mostly bug free. Don't upgrade to vbulletin 5. In fact you should stay far away from it.

If that is true, my vote in order is the last version of vb4, then vb3, then xeno, then vb5 :thumb: But we'll adjust to whatever you decide to go with.

VB5 was a total disaster when it launched. I read many of the same things. I have kept up with it though and they put a ton of work into fixing it for the most recent versions. After we get moved to the new server, let's have a new thread to discuss it.

Unfortunately, I have looked at other s/w and I still haven't found anything that's better... XenForo is the closest thing.

Back