Brady is Gone

I expect the Pats to be competitive, because that's what we've always been and the roster is still loaded with a lot of guys who don't know any other way.

Competitive. That's all I got for now. I feel that way not because of Brady's loss, but because we still have to add between 20 and 30 players, including draft picks and there are some major question marks at several positions, including linebacker, TE and some other questions about last years IRs.

That's quite a lot of churn to consider. No two years are the same and each season the team has to find a sort of new identity and if there is one thing Bill is positively great at is developing leadership from within.

Brady was the hardest-working guy you could ever want at QB. Among his many other positive attributes. Nobody can question his work ethic. However, I think it's fair to ask whether his leadership over the last few years was privately questioned behind the scenes by players who would never say anything publicly about the Master of Space, Time and Infinity because it would have been a powderkeg. It would have been HERESY.

My evidence?; Missing OTAs, doing his invitation-only offseason camp out west, not leading the team out of the tunnel (less and less over the last couple of years) and frequently chucking the ball into the stands rather than taking a chance of getting hit, pouting, screaming...... I could go on, but few people want to hear it.

All of that can be rationalized (and was) in various ways but to me it added up to a clear pattern. You can bust your ass in the gym all you want, but nobody can tell me that, age aside, Tom Brady was the same kind of leader he was 4 or 5 years ago.

I will speculate that there were guys on this team that read the news on their phones, carefully looked both ways, took a deep breath and then danced a jig that he was finally gone.

I expect the Pats to be competitive, because that's what we've always been and the roster is still loaded with a lot of guys who don't know any other way.

Competitive. That's all I got for now. I feel that way not because of Brady's loss, but because we still have to add between 20 and 30 players, including draft picks and there are some major question marks at several positions, including linebacker, TE and some other questions about last years IRs.

That's quite a lot of churn to consider. No two years are the same and each season the team has to find a sort of new identity and if there is one thing Bill is positively great at is developing leadership from within.

Brady was the hardest-working guy you could ever want at QB. Among his many other positive attributes. Nobody can question his work ethic. However, I think it's fair to ask whether his leadership over the last few years was privately questioned behind the scenes by players who would never say anything publicly about the Master of Space, Time and Infinity because it would have been a powderkeg. It would have been HERESY.

My evidence?; Missing OTAs, doing his invitation-only offseason camp out west, not leading the team out of the tunnel (less and less over the last couple of years) and frequently chucking the ball into the stands rather than taking a chance of getting hit, pouting, screaming...... I could go on, but few people want to hear it.

All of that can be rationalized (and was) in various ways but to me it added up to a clear pattern. You can bust your ass in the gym all you want, but nobody can tell me that, age aside, Tom Brady was the same kind of leader he was 4 or 5 years ago.

I will speculate that there were guys on this team that read the news on their phones, carefully looked both ways, took a deep breath and then danced a jig that he was finally gone.

agree 1000000%

I do find it funny. People on Social media & sports Radio. Went from in BB we trust To F*ck BB . The two best examples are benching Bulter in SB. To now not Resigning Brady

Tell us one, just one, justifiable reason why BB did not just give Tom Brady the simple security 2 year contract and make it an option that TFB could step out of ? Please stop it with the to be 43 Aug 3 2020. His raggedy play last season was almost all premised on the disgraceful Oline, TE blocking, RB pick up blocking, etc. Yes he also mad a few piss poor throws for ITCs but not excessive as these regular season stats show:

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate
Jameis
Winston TB QB 380 626 60.7 39.1 5,109 8.2 319.3 33 30 243 38.8 71T 75 13 47 84.3
2 Dak
Prescott DAL QB 388 596 65.1 7.2 4,902 8.2 306.4 30 11 229 38.4 62 68 16 23 99.7
6 Russell
Wilson SEA QB 341 516 66.1 32.2 4,110 8.0 256.9 31 5 190 36.8 60T 55 10 48 106.3
7 Tom
Brady NE QB 373 613 60.8 38.3 4,057 6.6 253.6 24 8 193 31.5 59 60 6 27 88.0
10 Patrick
Mahomes KC QB 319 484 65.9 34.6 4,031 8.3 287.9 26 5 176 36.4 83T 50 15 17 105.3

The above QB rating data shows some of the PISS POOR BB coaching that lost the GOAT for the Pats. Brady was sacked 27 TIMES 1.7 times average EVERY SINGLE REGULAR SEASON GAME. If you watched every single game it appeared to me that some teams punished him more than only a couple times times a game. However, it was so obvious that TFB's constant hurried throwing, Dlinemen constantly in the back field , etc. all contributing to their consistent season declination.

We are talking about a totally proven best franchise QB in the NFL winning MVP at age 40???? BB and TFB were a HC and QB set for the past 20 consecutive YEARS!?? I believe we shall see this last mistake that BB has made about his coveted QB who was ALWAYS the principal contributor of the winningest HC/QB set ever established and the TRUTH will find its way to the surface and for this reason , the SB Trophy will ALWAYS BE VINCE LOMBARDI TROPHY.

Great to hear from you these days..... :toast:

Tell us one, just one, justifiable reason why BB did not just give Tom Brady the simple security 2 year contract and make it an option that TFB could step out of after having this BONAFIDE ?? Please stop it with the to be 43 Aug 3 2020.

We are talking about a totally proven best franchise QB in the NFL winning MVP at age 40???? BB and TFB were a HC and QB set for the past 20 consecutive YEARS!?? I believe we shall see this last mistake that BB has made about his coveted QB who was ALWAYS the principal contributor of the winningest HC/QB set ever established and the TRUTH will find its way to the surface and for this reason , the SB Trophy will ALWAYS BE VINCE LOMBARDI TROPHY.

OK, I'll give you just one of many. Hawg provided some others. Have you seen the salary cap situation?

It was time for him to move on.

I never said 16-0 again, but based off track record of the last 2 decades I’d feel real comfortable in a 13-3 or 14-2 record. That was a strong roster again.
Meh. You said the 11-5 2008 team won five games less than the 2007 team. I can do math.

Anyway, the question at hand was about how bad BB will be as a head coach without Brady, and the were two instances.

1. He went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.

2. He was given a total shit Browns team that went 3-13 before he arrived and built them up (without Brady) to the point they made the playoffs at 11-5 and beat a good Pats team on the road. BB was fired the next year and that next year, with the same basic players, the Browns went 2-14.

I respect what you're saying though I really don't understand the overall increasing numbers of posts finding fault with things that BB has done well.

As with all things, time will tell and in two of three years all will become clear.

I agree with all of this.

Even the remaining vets exhaling and being a bit excited for new.

But then I just recall the 3-28 score I watched Sunday.

You can count on 1 hand, a hand that’s been through a major industrial accident, the number of players on the planet that can combine that type of mental toughness, testicular fortitude, pure skill, and leadership to snatch a victory like that from the jaws of defeat on the largest stage in sports.

Sometimes, be careful what you wish for.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Meh. You said the 11-5 2008 team won five games less than the 2007 team. I can do math.

Anyway, the question at hand was about how bad BB will be as a head coach without Brady, and the were two instances.

2. He was given a total shit Browns team that went 3-13 before he arrived and built them up (without Brady) to the point they made the playoffs at 11-5 and beat a good Pats team on the road. BB was fired the next year and that next year, with the same basic players, the Browns went 2-14.

I respect what you're saying though I really don't understand the overall increasing numbers of posts finding fault with things that BB has done well.

As with all things, time will tell and in two of three years all will become clear.

All good.

I love our chances with Bill and the inevitable rebuild.

We got a hint that things weren't right as well with the comments from Harry and Meyers who confessed that Tom hadn't really spoken or connected with them in TC at all and then in the regular season, Tom blew up at the rookies on the sidelines during the loss to the Texans. Tom really did not seem motivated or happy at all last season. It was surprising to read comments like that from the likes of Meyers and Harry.

Exactly thats reserved for Brady. Actually Bill took over a browns team that had not had a losing record in 5 of the 6 years prior to taking them over and then went on to have losing seasons in 4 of the next 5 under belichick....if we want to get Technical. Has zero to do with what a coach BB is, he is by far the best, but it was what it was. AS far as Cassel. He won 10 games with a mediocre chiefs team so I imagine he could pull a pats super team that went to 16-0 with that many wins.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

We got a hint that things weren't right as well with the comments from Harry and Meyers who confessed that Tom hadn't really spoken or connected with them in TC at all and then in the regular season, Tom blew up at the rookies on the sidelines during the loss to the Texans. Tom really did not seem motivated or happy at all last season. It was surprising to read comments like that from the likes of Meyers and Harry.

We do like stepping on players when they leave as fans dont we. I dont know how happy or unhappy he was or whatever, but maybe I can look past that because of the 18 years prior where he did everything in his life for this team. So I dont know what the deal was that is between him and whoever, but he is a human, and I have been in work places that I was not happy, so I get that. We only have to be fans of a team, he has to work for them. Thing I always go back to though....Brady does not have to play, he does not have to play in the NFl ever again and nobody would ever question is decision to leave the NFL, so I am not sure what motivation is, but from the media crap in Boston to trying to get a pretty bad offense to function, if that didnt make him quit, I would say he is pretty motivated.

Anything over 20 mill was to much for a 43 year old QB. The next gen stats have him the 28th & 29th Rated QB. In less then 1 yard of separation & YPC . I started noticing Brady passes were off after the Jets game . I told people I didn't know if it was elbow injury or protection problem. Newsome & TE's were horse S*it at blocking .

16th actually. I imagine some throws were off trying to protect against turnovers because our receivers couldnt get separation. But yeah we cant pay him 20 mil....I mean literally we cannot pay anyone 20 mil, Maybe 20k. I do not know if he had an injury or not, but I think it was a combination of things. But you know, if he is gone, now, so its not something we need to worry about.

Speaking of Brady and what he did here. I ran across this picture on twitter and I could not even understand how this was real.

Speaking of Brady and what he did here. I ran across this picture on twitter and I could not even understand how this was real.

I posted that in the "In celebration of" thread.

Incredibly efficient offense. I still shake my head thinking about that year and what should have been.

I posted that in the "In celebration of" thread.

Incredibly efficient offense. I still shake my head thinking about that year and what should have been.

Oh sorry, thats where it should be. Yeah I just couldnt wrap my head around that stat. Still can't.

I agree with all of this.

Even the remaining vets exhaling and being a bit excited for new.

But then I just recall the 3-28 score I watched Sunday.

You can count on 1 hand, a hand that’s been through a major industrial accident, the number of players on the planet that can combine that type of mental toughness, testicular fortitude, pure skill, and leadership to snatch a victory like that from the jaws of defeat on the largest stage in sports.

Sometimes, be careful what you wish for.

Sure. I watched it too, for about the 6th time.

He was spectacular in the latter stages and OT. Just brilliant.

Problem is, Brady on top of the world in a Super Bowl will never be a thing again unless it's on tape.

He should have hung it up after that game. His legacy can never be spoiled by what is going to happen down in Tampa, but there is something to be said for walking out when the confetti is raining down. On top of the world forever.

His Pops was right.

Edleman answered all the mediots yapping about him demanding a trade to Tampa Bay with an Instagram post yesterday:

FOXBORO FOREVER.

Stidham replied:

LFG
🤘

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sure. I watched it too, for about the 6th time.

He was spectacular in the latter stages and OT. Just brilliant.

Problem is, Brady on top of the world in a Super Bowl will never be a thing again unless it's on tape.

He should have hung it up after that game. His legacy can never be spoiled by what is going to happen down in Tampa, but there is something to be said for walking out when the confetti is raining down. On top of the world forever.

His Pops was right.

Agree.

But then he made 2 more.

And should have won both. The loss his numbers were INSANE!

Leaving like Gronk did after the Rams would’ve been the ideal.

Tell us one, just one, justifiable reason why BB did not just give Tom Brady the simple security 2 year contract and make it an option that TFB could step out of ? Please stop it with the to be 43 Aug 3 2020. His raggedy play last season was almost all premised on the disgraceful Oline, TE blocking, RB pick up blocking, etc. Yes he also mad a few piss poor throws for ITCs but not excessive as these regular season stats show:

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate
Jameis
Winston TB QB 380 626 60.7 39.1 5,109 8.2 319.3 33 30 243 38.8 71T 75 13 47 84.3
2 Dak
Prescott DAL QB 388 596 65.1 7.2 4,902 8.2 306.4 30 11 229 38.4 62 68 16 23 99.7
6 Russell
Wilson SEA QB 341 516 66.1 32.2 4,110 8.0 256.9 31 5 190 36.8 60T 55 10 48 106.3
7 Tom
Brady NE QB 373 613 60.8 38.3 4,057 6.6 253.6 24 8 193 31.5 59 60 6 27 88.0
10 Patrick
Mahomes KC QB 319 484 65.9 34.6 4,031 8.3 287.9 26 5 176 36.4 83T 50 15 17 105.3

The above QB rating data shows some of the PISS POOR BB coaching that lost the GOAT for the Pats. Brady was sacked 27 TIMES 1.7 times average EVERY SINGLE REGULAR SEASON GAME. If you watched every single game it appeared to me that some teams punished him more than only a couple times times a game. However, it was so obvious that TFB's constant hurried throwing, Dlinemen constantly in the back field , etc. all contributing to their consistent season declination.

You suggest that Brady's subpar season could or should be excused because he took 27 sacks.

Assuming that Brady left because he didn't feel supported in terms of protection (or whatever) then please explain to me why he went to a team that gave up 47 sacks and has little chance of improving in that area due to bad OL talent. Tampa might have tons of skill players, but it won't matter because they aren't good and now have the absolute slowest QB in the league.

Maybe they get a stud OT at 14 and he'll help some, but they have problems across the board.

Brady didn't sign with them for competitive reasons, he did it to get paid, which worked. He'll be fortunate to finish the year on his feet.

You suggest that Brady's subpar season could or should be excused because he took 27 sacks.

Assuming that Brady left because he didn't feel supported in terms of protection (or whatever) then please explain to me why he went to a team that gave up 47 sacks and has little chance of improving in that area due to bad OL talent. Tampa might have tons of skill players, but it won't matter because they aren't good and now have the absolute slowest QB in the league.

Maybe they get a stud OT at 14 and he'll help some, but they have problems across the board.

Brady didn't sign with them for competitive reasons, he did it to get paid, which worked. He'll be fortunate to finish the year on his feet.

This is where people generally lose me in their thought process.

I think Tom played hardball with the Pats thinking he’d get them to buckle, that the thought of TB12 in another uni would be too much to handle, too subject to fan ire, and that they’d cave and grant his multi-year security.

When it didn’t come and he was stuck with the frightening thought of moving on the only offer was TB. It was market, so he saved face.

But if Tom was ever about the money he would’ve dug I’m harder on numbers here earlier AND he wouldn’t have let all that time go down the drain when he easily could’ve whored himself out as an advertising schill the likes of Peyton and Shaq. Over 20 years - 17 of them at the height of his game - he literally left over $100 mil easily on the table.

No, I am not excusing TFB's overall diminished performance but the vast majority was due to severe deficiency in OLine across the board, TE blocking, all RBs not picking up intuitively obvious blitzes, etc. Yes, there were some truly obvious "who the hell was he throwing to" issues but some of that was newbie WRs not running their routes correctly and he let some of them know about it, which is clearly atypical of TFB.

If you remember when Arians went to AZ, he put HUGE emphasis on his DL taking one Pats player that BB could and would never explain why! Oh ya, he was at a Gronk party, got wasted, went to the police station to stay out of trouble. Arian & BB made a Pats DL for AZ OT trade, yet another wrong fit for the Pats team, but AZ is still luvin that move and Pats continue to pump swamp water on their ENTIRE CURRENT OLine & TEs. I believe you will find Arians building his Oline as a passing and rushing monument, and let's be clear, Arians knows that DEFENSE WINS Championships, too.

People keep saying that Brady took the Bucs deal to get paid. However, knowing what Kraft had in his candy jar for his second son $30M in 2020 and $32M in 2021 and to not intercede for BB to ONLY give the 20 YEAR GOAT the miserable lousy rotten security blanket of 1 year guaranteed and a second year option is too friggan ridiculous. It is now totally apparent that there were HUGE problems between TFB & BB that will now NEVER be repaired and they now have infiltrated through the Kraft tunnel.

We will all know next year who the major contributor to the BB & TFB set really was! :shrug:

Hawg, the writeups you have done on offensive lineman over the years have been the best and most interesting I’ve ever read. I trust your opinion a lot. You’re one of many who make it a pleasure to visit this forum everyday.

I’ll submit though that Brady has never needed a good LT. He has needed an average, but predictable LT. One that can deflect the guy where Brady knows he will go. What he does need is great interior protection to do his slight little sidestep then step up. I watched a few Tampa games last year. I’ve got a few good buds who love that team. They have very good interior protection. They can figure out the LT. Jamis has a gifted arm (he makes plays Brady never ever could or will) but no brains. He’d hold on for so long waiting for something to happen. His ability to manipulate the pocket with his feet is not nearly as good as Brady. That skill ages well.

By mid November last year the pass protection was much improved, and on some plays pretty damn good. The problem was it wasn’t consistent and Tom still didn’t trust it. It was like once every 6 plays the guy was in the back field immediately. The plays that were bad were really bad. So yeah, I don’t blame Tom as much for sometimes watching his back even when it was great.

Even that said. The big problem was the run blocking. Sony didn’t help himself at all at the line, but he very rarely had a good hole to hit on first or second down. I think a first round pick should be able to get something on their own regardless of blocking, but that’s another conversation. The run blocking did not improve the second half of the season. At all. I know, injuries........ well I’d say the depth was clearly a problem by the draft. Yogie got injured,.... well hopefully he’s a beast. Still there was time to get depth. In BB we trust........
Last year if you get Brady into 3 and 4 vs 3rd and long it’s such a huge difference. The flaws in of the WR corps matter much less.

And I wouldn’t underestimate how much having Brady is going to help the Bucs run game and def. He’s always won because of his brains and will. When has he ever had the best arm? Smarts and the will to win age very well.

No, I am not excusing TFB's overall diminished performance but the vast majority was due to severe deficiency in OLine across the board, TE blocking, all RBs not picking up intuitively obvious blitzes, etc. Yes, there were some truly obvious "who the hell was he throwing to" issues but some of that was newbie WRs not running their routes correctly and he let some of them know about it, which is clearly atypical of TFB.

If you remember when Arians went to AZ, he put HUGE emphasis on his DL taking one Pats player that BB could and would never explain why! Oh ya, he was at a Gronk party, got wasted, went to the police station to stay out of trouble. Arian & BB made a Pats DL for AZ OT trade, yet another wrong fit for the Pats team, but AZ is still luvin that move and Pats continue to pump swamp water on their ENTIRE CURRENT OLine & TEs. I believe you will find Arians building his Oline as a passing and rushing monument, and let's be clear, Arians knows that DEFENSE WINS Championships, too.

People keep saying that Brady took the Bucs deal to get paid. However, knowing what Kraft had in his candy jar for his second son $30M in 2020 and $32M in 2021 and to not intercede for BB to ONLY give the 20 YEAR GOAT the miserable lousy rotten security blanket of 1 year guaranteed and a second year option is too friggan ridiculous. It is now totally apparent that there were HUGE problems between TFB & BB that will now NEVER be repaired and they now have infiltrated through the Kraft tunnel.

We will all know next year who the major contributor to the BB & TFB set really was! :shrug:
If you give Brady that 20 mill contact. They won't have been able to afford to tag Thueny. Unless they restructured Gilmore & Hightower Deals. Possible cut Sanu to clear cap space .
Your right about the ARZ trade . They got the better end of deal Was another classic BB move . If he don't think your worth the money your gone. He did the same thing with Seymour , Mankins , Collins & Moss.

Back