Breaking News - Rex Ryan gets 'sacked'

MaineMimi

Reaction score
Rex and Rob Fired from the Bills

Just saw it reported on NFL Network. Anthony Lynn will take over as the interim coach

LOL we must have posted at the same time. Rob got the axe too

Mods, you can delete my thread if you'd like :)

The Reality of Rex:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/12/27/14083794/rex-ryan-reputation-buffalo-bills-defense

Ryan’s defense last finished in the top-10 overall in yards...in 2014. Yes, the year he was fired by the Jets, he had a top-10 defense in terms of yards allowed. However, they were 24th in points allowed. The last time a Ryan team was top-10 in points allowed? 2010, which is also the last year a Ryan-coached team made the playoffs. When was the last time his defense was top-10 against the pass? This season, in fact—the Bills currently rank 7th against the pass in terms of yards allowed. You have to go back to 2012 for the last time prior to this year that his defenses finished in the top-10 in passing yards allowed.

It is worth noting that Buffalo has had the fewest number of passes attempted against them in the NFL—a fact worth noting because of Buffalo’s abysmal performance against the run (28th in the league at 2,003 yards). Not surprisingly, the Bills have faced the fourth-most rushing attempts in the league (438), and allow the fourth-most yards per carry (4.6). When was the last Ryan defense to finish in the top-10 against the run? Those 2014 Jets again.

When people think of Ryan defenses, the first thing discussed is almost always the pressure. The exotic scheming is something that almost certainly leads to a ton of takeaways, right? Well, the last time a Ryan defense was in the top-10 in the league in takeaways was 2011. In fact, excluding a 12th place finish last season, Ryan’s defenses have finished in the bottom half of the league every year since 2011. As Chris Trapasso noted earlier, it seems that a great deal of what once made Ryan’s scheme unique is no longer relevant. In a league where quick, short passes and spread offenses rule the day, it defeats nearly all of the elements of Rex’s defense that made it special just based on simple lineups and formations. If the defense has to declare its intentions due to the spread, it really becomes a scheme destined to fail.

For reference, the defense Ryan inherited in 2015 was 4th in total yards, 4th in points, 3rd in takeaways, 11th against the rush, and 3rd against the pass during the 2014 season. The last time Ryan’s defense was that highly ranked in all of those categories? 2009, his first year with the Jets.

Rex is living in a fantasy world. He lives in a place where he knows better than most others, where he is as good a defensive coach as there is in the league. In reality, he hasn’t been close to any of those things since President Obama had a Congress controlled entirely by Democrats.

My initial intent was to write this article as a mock press conference from the perspective of Ryan’s reputation; however, I would have caused myself serious injury trying to gain the same perspective that Rex must have if that’s what he believes about himself. At this point, the evidence is there in black and white, and it’s damning.

Rex Ryan has taken one of the best defenses in the league and turned it into a shell of its former self. The last time Buffalo’s defense finished 19th or lower was 2012, when Dave Wannstedt and his infamous vanilla defense was an eyesore for us all. The last time the team was this bad against the run? When former defensive coordinator and Ryan-disciple-turned-defector Mike Pettine ran the defense in 2013, the Bills finished 28th against the run, although they were 10th overall and 4th against the pass.

In a season filled with disappointments, the failure of what was supposed to be a great strength is certainly among the worst. If you stake your reputation on doing something well, and then you don’t do it well, and then you ask people to examine your reputation, you should probably make sure that your reputation matches your ego. The last time Ryan’s defense was truly as good as he thinks it is, it was 2010. Ryan has essentially become Uncle Rico, boasting about how things were way back when.

Even when comparing Ryan against other head coaches, there is little positive. Ryan has more losses than all but 7 current NFL head coaches. Of the 7 who have more losses than him, 3 are Super Bowl winners, and all have made the playoffs more recently than the last time Ryan did (2010). The 4 head coaches immediately below Ryan in the loss column (Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin) all have something in common, too—a Super Bowl ring. When Jeff Fisher was fired, some people suggested that the number of career losses he had was actually a compliment—I heard Cris Collinsworth actually say that it showed how great a coach Fisher is, because it meant that people wanted him to keep coming back. Maybe Ryan can hang his hat on that compliment if (when?) the ax falls on him in Buffalo.

“Go check my reputation,” Ryan said.

I did, Rex. Like this season, and the one before that, and the one before that, it left a lot to be desired.

For the last game of the season????

So Bills right there. WTF is the point? It's not like ownership can send the message that failing to make the playoffs is UNACCEPTABLE to them. They haven't seen the post season sincwe the 90s.

Good article. Yep, Rexy is living in a dream world. Perception counts for a lot, so he's been able to get away with a lot in recent years, but the cold, hard football facts say otherwise. It'll be interesting to see if any team picks him up as a DC (I doubt he'll be a head coach for awhile, if ever, but the NFL does like to recycle HCs) or if he becomes a member of the media temporarily. As for his brother, I'm not sure he'll have another chance for at least a few years. His defenses have been awful.

Rex was entertaining, but that only goes so far in a league that values winning above all.

Wonder if he lands a DC job somewhere or goes straight to broadcasting.

So Bills right there. WTF is the point? It's not like ownership can send the message that failing to make the playoffs is UNACCEPTABLE to them. They haven't seen the post season sincwe the 90s.

The point from ownership is, the loosey-goosey bullshit is unacceptable. They were a top-5 defense before he got there. Then they got they ultimate player's coach for 2 years.

The 'Coughlin to Buffalo' rumors sound a lot more legitimate today.

Maybe he'd pissed them off, so they chose not to let him finish out.

I don't understand this. All teams play on the last Sunday of the regular season. The next day is Black Monday. That's when you look at your season and say a change is needed.

Firing mid-season, say around week 8-10, I understand if a new coach is totally not what you wanted and is an admission of a mistake by the owner.

This firing bs right after a game, or with a week or two to go, is just numb. It wouldn't make any difference, today or next Monday, except the owner wants to...well, whatever statement he thinks he is making by firing today.

I'm not defending Ryan. I always said he wasn't a good hc even when he went to the two AFCCGs. But this firing is just bush league, IMO.

Maybe he'd pissed them off, so they chose not to let him finish out.
Yeah, I could see that. If so, I retract my rant :)

I don't understand this. All teams play on the last Sunday of the regular season. The next day is Black Monday. That's when you look at your season and say a change is needed.

Firing mid-season, say around week 8-10, I understand if a new coach is totally not what you wanted and is an admission of a mistake by the owner.

This firing bs right after a game, or with a week or two to go, is just numb. It wouldn't make any difference, today or next Monday, except the owner wants to...well, whatever statement he thinks he is making by firing today.

I'm not defending Ryan. I always said he wasn't a good hc even when he went to the two AFCCGs. But this firing is just bush league, IMO.

I think they want to get Coughlin in now and not wait for other offers to come his way after next Monday.

Back