Breaking News we got Stallworth..

<<
ESPN is reporting that we have 9 million left.
>>

I think the rookie pool is around 7 mil this year. And the last couple mil they should leave to cover performance bonuses that may or may not be earned.

harrisonhits on 03-11-2007 at 10:39 AM said:
<<
ESPN is reporting that we have 9 million left.
>>

I think the rookie pool is around 7 mil this year. And the last couple mil they should leave to cover performance bonuses that may or may not be earned.

And it won't take too much to sign hartwell / seau ..... or any other of a number of inexpensive FA's.

Also, we would find room (via restructuring) for Moss should he choose to roll our way.

2007 Regular season
1 T. Brady NE 4758
2. D. Brees NO 4418
3. P. Manning IND 4397
4. M. Bulger STL 4301

I expect some cuts and maybe a retirement or two so we should be in good shape. Hopefully we draft a db (saftey) and a young linebacker. I'd like to see a lineman or two who might be able to help transition over to some zone blocking schemes for Maroney.

Warren94 on 03-11-2007 at 11:11 AM said:
who cares about passing yards. Rings is all that matters.

If Brady passes for that many yards, we're in trouble. The Pats are about balance and making it difficult for teams to stop you by taking out an aspect of your game.

CleatMarks on 03-11-2007 at 11:11 AM said:
I expect some cuts and maybe a retirement or two so we should be in good shape. Hopefully we draft a db (saftey) and a young linebacker. I'd like to see a lineman or two who might be able to help transition over to some zone blocking schemes for Maroney.

I agree with your post.

However, I think Kyle Brady will definately help in the zone blocking scheme, but I wouldn't put it past the Patriots to do what you've suggested. :thumb:

I think they're in a great position to get younger and deeper in the secondary and LB dept on 4/28.

Patriots4ever on 03-11-2007 at 11:18 AM said:
I agree with your post.

However, I think Kyle Brady will definately help in the zone blocking scheme, but I wouldn't put it past the Patriots to do what you've suggested. :thumb:

I think they're in a great position to get younger and deeper in the secondary and LB dept on 4/28.

It was only 10 short years ago that Patriot fans were crying about the departure of Bill Parcells. We had no direction. No future and our team was in dissarray.

Check out how the posts are on the Planet these days. We exude confidence. We have no doubt that the Pats will go deep in to the playoffs every year.

I like the change. :thumb:

March 11, 2007
Stallworth in focus
A few quick hits on WR Donte' Stallworth, who agreed to terms on a contract with the Patriots on Sunday morning:

Height: 6-0

Weight: 196

First round pick (13th overall) out of Tennessee in 2002.

26 years old; turns 27 in November.

Considered one of the faster players at the position, and will most often play on the outside.

Big-play ability is evidenced in his 15.1 yards per catch average over his career.

Had a career-high 70 receptions in 2005.

Was traded to the Eagles prior to the 2006 season and had 38 catches in 12 games last year. The Eagles traded a conditional fourth-round draft pick and linebacker Mark Simoneau to acquire Stallworth from the Saints.

Philadelphia Inquirer reported earlier this month that Stallworth is in NFL's substance abuse program.

Has had some nagging hamstring problems at times.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 10:21:45 AM | Link | E-mail to a friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 11, 2007
Stallworth in fold
The Patriots' aggressive offseason approach landed another target, as the team and wide receiver Donte' Stallworth have agreed to terms on a contract.

ESPN first reported the agreement, which has since been confirmed.

ESPN has reported that the deal is a six-year contract potentially worth more than $30 million, with $12 million in bonuses. We have been unable to confirm those details, although the deal is likely similar to what the Broncos did with Javon Walker when they acquired him from the Packers prior to the 2006 season. In that scenario, the Broncos were unsure how Walker would respond from knee surgery, so they structured a long-term deal that essentially made the first year an audition of sorts.

Although Stallworth is not coming off a serious injury like Walker, his situation has some similarities. Part of that could be tied to a recent Philadelphia Inquirier report that indicated Stallworth was in the NFL's substance abuse program. Stallworth also missed some time last year with a hamstring injury.

The sides had been talking throughout the week, and negotiations apparently went deep into Saturday night and into Sunday morning.

Stallworth had visited with the Patriots, Titans and Dolphins this week, and was also considering a return to the Eagles. A first-round draft choice in 2002, he played his first four seasons with the Saints, before joining the Eagles in 2006.

He adds another playmaking dimension to the Patriots receiving corps, as Stallworth is a threat on the outside. The Patriots' other offseason acquistion at the position, Wes Welker, works primarily out of the slot.

The Patriots also have Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Kelvin Kight, Bam Childress and Jonathan Smith at the position. Jackson is recovering from a torn ACL.

What a fine offseason...and we haven't even seen the draft yet! (And another free agent or two?).

Dante Stallworth: sounds like the deep threat we Patriots fans have been yearning for.....Brady must be happy as heck. Of course, it's all predicated on the blocking...and the Pats have a nice blocking system going with Dante Scharneccia...things appear to be looking up on offense

Well, we can now stretch the field. This will make it difficult for teams to put 8 men in the box against us. That should help our running game.

<i>
This is patently untrue. With the exception of last year they have spent right to the cap every year for at least the 4 or 5 years prior to that. </i>

Last year too. The Patriots ended the season 78 cents under the cap.</i>

Leovigild on 03-11-2007 at 12:14 PM said:
<i>
This is patently untrue. With the exception of last year they have spent right to the cap every year for at least the 4 or 5 years prior to that. </i>

Last year too. The Patriots ended the season 78 cents under the cap.</i>

78 cents?!?!?

cheap ass FO bastards!!!!'

They could have bought a Snickers bar!!!!Or a can of Mountain Dew!!! Im so sick of the ownership cheaping out on us!!!! We deserve better!!!!

Am I reading the ESPN article wrong? I don't see $12 mil in guarantees? It says $3.6 mil in salary + bonus this year... with large option bonus's due the next 2 off seasons... but it would be the Patriots option to keep Stallworth past 1 year. I see them on the hook for only 1 year at $3.6 mil. If he performs they can either pay the bonus or rework the deal. Am I missing something?

HartLeeDykes#88 on 03-11-2007 at 12:48 PM said:
Am I reading the ESPN article wrong? I don't see $12 mil in guarantees? It says $3.6 mil in salary + bonus this year... with large option bonus's due the next 2 off seasons... but it would be the Patriots option to keep Stallworth past 1 year. I see them on the hook for only 1 year at $3.6 mil. If he performs they can either pay the bonus or rework the deal. Am I missing something?

You read it right, the deal is awesome

updated contract info from pft -

A much better deal for the Pats than first reported.

STALLWORTH TO PATS, BUT NOT FOR $12 MILLION GUARANTEED

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to terms with the Patriots. But, contrary to the report, the deal does not include $12 million in guaranteed money. And it is not a straight six-year deal.

[Editor's note: ESPN.com has pulled a Tribune-Review, changing its story without acknowledging that the prior report was incorrect as to the amount of guaranteed money.]

Instead, a league source tells us that it's a one-year deal with an option for a second year, and then an option for four more years.

In year one, Stallworth gets $1 million to sign, a workout bonus of $300,000, a base salary of $700,000, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the 53-man roster at the start of the reason.

Stallworth also can earn up to $400,000 in incentives. He'll get $100,000 if he catches 70 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 75 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 80 passes, and $100,000 if he is on the Pro Bowl team.

A $6 million option bonus is due shortly before the start of the 2008 league year, but after the deadline for designating franchise players. This requires the team to either pick up the option, or to allow Stallworth to hit the market unfettered by the franchise tag.

In 2008, there's also a $2 million roster bonus due on the first day of the league year, a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the season-opening 53-man roster.

In 2009, there's a $2 million option bonus, payable after the franchise tag deadline but before the start of the league year. If the option is exercised, the deal runs through 2012.

Also in 2009, Stallworth will receive a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus based on making the season-opening 53-man roster.

In 2010 through 2012, the deal has the same terms in each year: $500,000 workout bonus and $4 million salary.

In all, it's a one-year $3.6 million deal that can be worth up to $4 million, or a two-year, $14.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $15 million, or a three-year, $19.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $20 million.

The Pats can then add on additional years at $4.5 million each, with a maximum contract value of $33.5 million.

But the only truly guaranteed money is $1 million. Not $12 million.

Stallworth deal basically one year deal (numbers breakdown)

This deal is basically a one year deal. The pats have the option to back out or sign him to a rich 5 year deal based on performance after the 07 season. It is a very good deal.

Espn
The deal, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus, who concluded a frenetic week in free agency by constructing a contract that met the needs of all parties, can be as short as one year or as long as six seasons. But for the Patriots to retain Stallworth beyond the 2007 season, a year in which he will make $3.6 million in bonuses and salary, New England will have to make a significant investment.

Stallworth will receive an initial signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.6 million and a $300,000 workout bonus, to go along with his 2007 base salary of $700,000. That totals $3.6 million for the coming season.

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money kicks in.

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus. That totals an exorbitant $11 million for 2008, or a two-year total of $14.6 million.

To keep Stallworth for 2009, the Patriots would have to pay another option bonus, this one of $2 million, by Feb. 25 of that year. In terms of bonuses and base salary, the 2009 season would be worth $5 million to Stallworth, for a three-year total of $19.6 million.

The final three seasons of the contract all include workout bonuses of $500,000 each and base salaries of $4 million each. The maximum value of the contract, if the Patriots were to keep Stallworth for all six years, is $33.1 million.

The rationale behind the structure: Stallworth has the opportunity to register a huge season in 2007, playing with quarterback Tom Brady, and on a team that figures to be a Super Bowl contender. And after the 2007 campaign, the Patriots will have to dig deep to retain him, dramatically rework his contract, or allow him to go back into the free agent market. It was a creative concept developed by Rosenhaus, one accepted by several of the teams bidding for Stallworth, to maximize his client's earning potential. At the same time, it provides New England a big-play threat for at least one season, with the capacity to retain Stallworth beyond that, if desired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615

Back