Breaking News we got Stallworth..

SteelerFan87 on 03-11-2007 at 09:50 PM said:
So how long before the media descend upon the Pats balls like a pack of ravenous Paris Hiltons?
They went after us pretty strong last year after we let Vinatieri and Branch go (remember "organizational arrogance"?) and they ended up looking kind of foolish when the Pats won 14 games and almost made a Super Bowl anyways. I imagine they'll keep their mouths shut for a while.

Warren94 on 03-11-2007 at 01:15 PM said:
Good Protection if the substance abuse are true. Still may draft a wide receiver then late rounds.

That would be a good idea. Develope him behind Stallworth. The one year option is awesome!!!!! Gives us the upper hand , and forces prodection.

This really allows us to be more creative in the draft. c, lb and wr are still a must.

Bandwagoneer on 03-11-2007 at 10:07 PM said:
They went after us pretty strong last year after we let Vinatieri and Branch go (remember "organizational arrogance"?) and they ended up looking kind of foolish when the Pats won 14 games and almost made a Super Bowl anyways. I imagine they'll keep their mouths shut for a while.

So what you're saying is they overreacted to free agency?

So again, how long until the "experts" descend upon the Pats' balls like a pack of ravenous paris hiltons? (As in, when does the ball washing commence with vigor?)

SteelerFan87 on 03-11-2007 at 10:16 PM said:

So again, how long until the "experts" descend upon the Pats' balls like a pack of ravenous paris hiltons? (As in, when does the ball washing commence with vigor?)

:LOL: ROFL ROFL ROFL

Aint gonna happen.

CleatMarks on 03-11-2007 at 11:13 AM said:
If Brady passes for that many yards, we're in trouble. The Pats are about balance and making it difficult for teams to stop you by taking out an aspect of your game.

Brady with the necessary tools will still have balance but will also be able to torch opposing defenses. Were they in trouble in 2005?

Well, they certainly aren't going to be washing the Steeler's balls any time soon. lol

Were you upset that they weren't washing our balls when they were calling us classless.

Face it, for the most "boring" team (as everyone thinks), the entire league watches every move we make. There isn't a board out there without discussions about our off-season moves.

At the start of last season, they said we were done. They said we lost too many weapons. Then the said we wouldn't make it that far. Then when we beat the Chargers, they called us classless. Then it was about our collapse in the Indy game. Now all of a sudden, people are talking about us again.

It must be nice to have the luxury of ignoring all of the negative press and focusing in on the positive press. I'd say it's a first class case of jealousy. lol

But at least you've still got big Jen. lol

absolutely they were in trouble. They didn't have a running game and it showed.

Why cant this be discussed in the post about him signing with the Patriots???????????????????????

CleatMarks on 03-11-2007 at 10:35 PM said:
absolutely they were in trouble. They didn't have a running game and it showed.

The defense stunk up the joint too. I am only saying that at least we wont have to worry about open receivers. Maroney needs to be the back he can be too, I think that will happen getting 20+ carries a game

I agree. The offense should be opened up but I don't think Brady will be throwing like McNabb or Palmer. I'd be happy if he never threw above 30 times a game. That means we're probably winning.

When you really get down to it. It's a good deal all around. If he lives up to his potential and the Pats decide to keep him, he's still cheaper than the contract that Branch was given over 6 years and that's with a higher cap number this year driving up the price of FA.

Got that first round pick to. If this works out Branch = Donte Stallworth, first round pick, money saved......

Felger offers his thoughts on Welker and Stallworth:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=187916
For all of you who tried to make the claim last year that the receiving situation didn’t hurt the Patriots - that Deion Branch and David Givens weren’t missed and Tom Brady may have been the problem - you must now realize this:

Bill Belichick disagrees with you.

How else to explain wild events of the past week? First, the Pats overpaid (both in draft pick compensation and salary) for possession receiver Wes Welker. Then, yesterday, they took a chance on a questionable character in Donte’ Stallworth.

The signing of Stallworth should be all the evidence you need that the Pats have sought to correct the mistakes of last year. In fact, it was just over six months ago that the Pats declined to pull the trigger on Stallworth when he was traded from New Orleans to Philadelphia for the modest cost of a conditional fourth-round draft pick and a backup linebacker (Mark Simoneau). The Pats could have had Stallworth in 2006 at a reasonable price of $1.9 million (his base salary plus escalators), but they passed. Now they’re going to pay him nearly double that amount in 2007.

--------------------------------------------

I remember being befuddled as to why the Pats (with their gaping need at WR) didn't make a bigger play on Stallworth last year, given the relatively modest trade terms the Saints came to agreement with the Eagles on. Seems to me the Pats probably had character concerns regarding him at the time. What's really changed over the past 6 months (besides the fact that now he's a free agent)? :shrug:

I agree with Felger: in all likelihood, this is a one-year deal. The Pats will be drafting another WR on day one methinks.

vinceyoungfan on 03-11-2007 at 09:04 PM said:
The Titans just signed our very first FA player. You guys won't believe who it is and you will be jealous. We just got Jesus Christ.
I'm so exited!!! Jesus rocks!

:mad:

I heard he's like having a coach on the field, but runs sloppy routes on account of the robes.

Brownfan80 on 03-12-2007 at 08:22 AM said:
I heard he's like having a coach on the field, but runs sloppy routes on account of the robes.

Plus he refuses to put the 1" cleats on his sandals.

bideau on 03-12-2007 at 08:24 AM said:
Plus he refuses to put the 1" cleats on his sandals.

And I'm not sure how well the crown of thorns will protect him from concussions.

:shrug:

Wandering Athol on 03-12-2007 at 04:43 AM said:

How else to explain wild events of the past week? First, the Pats overpaid (both in draft pick compensation and salary) for possession receiver Wes Welker. Then, yesterday, they took a chance on a questionable character in Donte’ Stallworth.

I wonder If the Seahawks think the $49 million for Hutchenson was too much money after this off season?

yes they are two different level of players but:
My feeling is if you pay a bit more in the 1st year or possibly two of a long term deal, by year 4 you will have made up the money the way salaries inflate and actually be paying under market value, allowing you to repeat the theory with a different player
- opinion only, nothing but my thought to back it up

Wandering Athol on 03-12-2007 at 04:43 AM said:

For all of you who tried to make the claim last year that the receiving situation didn’t hurt the Patriots - that Deion Branch and David Givens weren’t missed and Tom Brady may have been the problem - you must now realize this:

Bill Belichick disagrees with you.

The signing of Stallworth should be all the evidence you need that the Pats have sought to correct the mistakes of last year. In fact, it was just over six months ago that the Pats declined to pull the trigger on Stallworth when he was traded from New Orleans to Philadelphia for the modest cost of a conditional fourth-round draft pick and a backup linebacker (Mark Simoneau). The Pats could have had Stallworth in 2006 at a reasonable price of $1.9 million (his base salary plus escalators), but they passed. Now they’re going to pay him nearly double that amount in 2007.
Felger also had this to say about him:

That said, there’s a lot not to like about Stallworth, starting with the fact that he’s a former high first-round pick (No. 13 overall in 2002) who in the past seven months has been deemed expendable by two different teams. The Eagles, in particular, have been desperate for receivers for a decade, yet they didn’t exactly put up a huge fight to get him back. Instead, they signed Bethel Johnson.

In New Orleans, Stallworth was chronically late to meetings and had to be fined repeatedly by then-coach Jim Haslett. When Sean Payton took over last year, he got one look at Stallworth, who overslept for a mini-camp practice in March, and decided to dump him.

Both the Eagles and Saints had to endure Stallworth’s steady stream of minor injuries, most of them muscle-related. Stallworth missed four games with a hamstring problem last year and has played all 16 games only twice in his career.

There’s also the drug issue to consider. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported last week that Stallworth is in the league’s substance-abuse program, meaning he has violated terms of the agreement at least once and could be one more violation away from a suspension. We have to assume the report is true because it’s been out for a week and no one has made the effort to deny it - not Stallworth, not Rosenhaus, not the NFL. Rather, an investigation has been opened to discover the leak, another sign of the story’s veracity.

After reading all this, Moss doesn't sound so bad after all. I just hope Stallworth can stay off the drugs, learn the offense, and stay awake in meetings (I won't complain about him being injury prone, since Branch was rather fragile, as well).

At least he is a legitimate deep threat though.

SteelerFan87 on 03-11-2007 at 10:16 PM said:

Have they ever stopped ballwashing the Pats?

Back