Breaking News we got Stallworth..

Good Protection if the substance abuse are true. Still may draft a wide receiver then late rounds.

Sounds like a Patriots-friendly contract.

And in other news, steve1 would be happy with just a $100,000 bonus

Steve1 on 03-11-2007 at 01:55 PM said:
Sounds like a Patriots-friendly contract.

And in other news, steve1 would be happy with just a $100,000 bonus

Greedy bastidge. I'd take 50k. Gotta give the home town discount I mean.

I like the idea of Stallworth, so I'm really hoping he can hold up his end of the bargain. Would definately help spread the field a bit to be sure.

All of this free agency good news and kudos from the media is starting to make me nervous, frankly.

It's usually the years that we appear to have modest offseasons...where everyone writes the Pats off...that they win the superbowl.

The Colts this year were a perfect example of the same thing. Unlike years before, the Colts weren't blowing everyone away. They looked like they got luck a lot. Appeared to back their way into the playoffs. Ergo...champions.

So as much as I'm giddy over all this in the short term, I'm pessimistic about the long haul.

I wonder if that's because human expectation being what it is...nothing guarantees disappointment more than great expectations and nothing will ensure a pleasant surprise more than low expectations.

FallingAlice on 03-11-2007 at 03:02 PM said:
All of this free agency good news and kudos from the media is starting to make me nervous, frankly.

It's usually the years that we appear to have modest offseasons...where everyone writes the Pats off...that they win the superbowl.

That sounds like the pessimism of the bad-old days leaking through, and to be honest...we could probably use more of that thinking. Annihilus has some of that bobbing to the surface too.

Then again, our QB is busy getting women pregnant, so maybe that will have some kind of deleterious effect on all of this perceived good fortune we've been experiencing.

FallingAlice on 03-11-2007 at 04:02 PM said:

The Colts this year were a perfect example of the same thing. Unlike years before, the Colts weren't blowing everyone away. They looked like they got luck a lot. Appeared to back their way into the playoffs. Ergo...champions.

So as much as I'm giddy over all this in the short term, I'm pessimistic about the long haul.

I wonder if that's because human expectation being what it is...nothing guarantees disappointment more than great expectations and nothing will ensure a pleasant surprise more than low expectations.

Not really..it just seems that way at face value. They could save money the last couple years because they remained competitive without mortaging the future. You have to look at the big picture..2001-2009. They could spend (and replace top lost D talent, ie Thomas) precisely because they did manage the cap prior. How much can the colts spend? zero. Yet they're basically the same team the last few years. Worse actually on paper.

This was the year to strike. Because the player, Thomas was there and we had the money. Timing is everything.

They are going for a 3 year championship, at least on paper.
This isn't a one year spend for the SB.

The line is locked up till 09 and it's young. Brady will get older and BB will retire someday.

Think of it as the final push on the 9 year dynasty.

Not saying it will come true..but they're putting the pieces for the opportunity to do so.

Now IS the time:)

Annihilus on 03-11-2007 at 04:18 PM said:
...Then again, our QB is busy getting women pregnant, so maybe that will have some kind of deleterious effect on all of this perceived good fortune we've been experiencing.

Ah! I hadn't thought of that.

Excellent glass half-empty, therefore full thinking.

Now I'm concerned, I'm much more relieved.

-JJ- on 03-11-2007 at 04:28 PM said:
Not really..it just seems that way at face value. They could save money the last couple years because they remained competitive without mortaging the future. You have to look at the big picture..2001-2009. They could spend (and replace top lost D talent, ie Thomas) precisely because they did manage the cap prior. How much can the colts spend? zero. Yet they're basically the same team the last few years. Worse actually on paper.

This was the year to strike. Because the player, Thomas was there and we had the money. Timing is everything.

They are going for a 3 year championship, at least on paper.
This isn't a one year spend for the SB.

The line is locked up till 09 and it's young. Brady will get older and BB will retire someday.

Think of it as the final push on the 9 year dynasty.

Not saying it will come true..but they're putting the pieces for the opportunity to do so.

Now IS the time:)

Yes, of course you're right. It's a whole lot easier to be the chef of a four-star restaurant if your ingredients are good. The Pats have a lot to work with here.

But I have one lingering concern about the "structure" of the Stallworth contract and what it might mean in terms of the cohesivness of the Pats.

According to what I read on ESPN, that contract is designed to make Stallworth really want to "star" in order to use this coming year as a springboard to other things. He's going to want his touches and his yards. On one level, we can assume that this might make Stallworth physically less fragile than in years past. He's got to be in the game in order to shine.

At the same time, the Pats did well with FAs like Dillon coming in because they "wanted to be a piece of the puzzle."

Something about the dynamic of the Stallworth signing suggests to me that maybe the Pats swallowed a poison pill this time.

Wheh!...now that I've convinced myself that I should feel lousy about this, I feel much, much better.

:thumb:

FallingAlice on 03-11-2007 at 04:36 PM said:
It's a whole lot easier to be the chef of a four-star restaurant if your ingredients are good.
Well if you expect me to cook, I wanna go shopping.

Cheers, BostonTim

FallingAlice on 03-11-2007 at 04:36 PM said:
Yes, of course you're right. It's a whole lot easier to be the chef of a four-star restaurant if your ingredients are good. The Pats have a lot to work with here.

But I have one lingering concern about the "structure" of the Stallworth contract and what it might mean in terms of the cohesivness of the Pats.

According to what I read on ESPN, that contract is designed to make Stallworth really want to "star" in order to use this coming year as a springboard to other things. He's going to want his touches and his yards. On one level, we can assume that this might make Stallworth physically less fragile than in years past. He's got to be in the game in order to shine.

At the same time, the Pats did well with FAs like Dillon coming in because they "wanted to be a piece of the puzzle."

Something about the dynamic of the Stallworth signing suggests to me that maybe the Pats swallowed a poison pill this time.

Wheh!...now that I've convinced myself that I should feel lousy about this, I feel much, much better.

:thumb:

He may think he'll get the touches :) Of course if he gets a TD evertime he prolly would.

The way I see it they need a #1 WR (or at least the threat) now, not next year. He really was all that was available.

Think of it as 3.9 mil for one year because even if he does prove himself..nothing says we have to make do on the option. It's all in our favor and partly with Stallworth if he plays well.

Or think of it if he becomes the next Jerry Rice we have the option to keep him another year..and if he does it again we still have the option. So if he becomes Jerry Rice caliber (and I'm exaggerating of course to make a point) we have the option to keep him at what would then be a cheap price. If not..bye bye.

CleatMarks on 03-11-2007 at 11:59 AM said:
Well, we can now stretch the field. This will make it difficult for teams to put 8 men in the box against us. That should help our running game.

It completely changes how Defensive Coordinators have to plan for us now. Even if he doesn't catch a ball in a game, his speed and play-making ability will keep secondary's honest.

FallingAlice on 03-11-2007 at 04:02 PM said:
If memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure after they added Dilllon following the 2003 season, they were wire-to-wire favorites....and that turned out fairly well.

I'm generally a skeptic by nature, but the Pats' free agency moves this offseason seem to make sense. Aka, they're not collecting talent - they're collecting players that plug weak gaps on the roster.

Replace Dillon. Done.
Find a proven WR who can stretch the field. Done.
Replace Graham. Done.
Shore up an aging LB crew. Done.
Find a heir apparent to Troy Brown in the slot. Done.

Come April they can wheel & deal to shore up the secondary (to guard against a Samuel Code Red scenario, and the possibility of Wilson leaving after the 2007 season), and add depth to other positions.

Congrats on Stallworth. I was hoping the Titans would get him but I heard he wasn't high on our list. oh well.

The Titans just signed our very first FA player. You guys won't believe who it is and you will be jealous. We just got Jesus Christ.
I'm so exited!!! Jesus rocks!

:mad:

vinceyoungfan on 03-11-2007 at 09:04 PM said:
Congrats on Stallworth. I was hoping the Titans would get him but I heard he wasn't high on our list. oh well.

The Titans just signed our very first FA player. Jesus Christ.
I'm so exited!!! Jesus rocks!

:mad:

Thanks. And its a one year with options, "show us what you got" kinda deal, too.:D

Wow. You guys got him! Now THATS a signing!!:thumb:

Sorry VYF.....:(

Adams85 on 03-11-2007 at 08:56 AM said:
From ESPN.com, Stallworth will be a Pat for the next 6 years.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfl/index
BREAKING NEWS Alert
Stallworth, Patriots agree to deal
Free-agent receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to terms with the Patriots on a six-year contract, a league source tells ESPN.com's Michael Smith. Financial terms are not yet known. The Dolphins, Titans and Eagles also were seeking to sign Stallworth.

How long before this crackhead gets suspended again?

We need a poll!

shirtsleeve on 03-11-2007 at 08:11 PM said:
Sorry VYF.....:(

Thats okay. It ain't over till the fat lady sings... or Pacman is caught with a stripper... or the Titans decide to sign a player. I don't know which one will happen first lol

If Stallworth starts complaining about touches this year, it's going to hurt him as a FA. The muzzle has been put on him and it's up to him to bring his skills to the table and play like a teammate.

This is a good contract for the Pats and if Daunte plays like he's capable and keeps his mouth shut, he'll be worth what he'll get in FA.

Besides, who here thinks that the Patriots Vets and staff are going to put up with a TO? He won't see the Pats locker room if that's the case and he'll be trying to prove himself next season with even less leverage. This is a great move by the Pats.

So how long before the media descend upon the Pats balls like a pack of ravenous Paris Hiltons?

Back