BREAKING: Pats trade for colts Dwayne Allen....

Whoa. I guess this finishes any talk of Bennett coming back. I like this guy but it seems like he's injured quite a bit.

Report: Patriots to acquire Dwayne Allen from Colts

The New England Patriots will acquire tight end Dwayne Allen in a trade with the Indianapolis Colts when the new league year officially begins Thursday, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports on Twitter

What did we give up? I am kind of shocked Indy did a deal with us.

We will only pay him $5 mil for this year.

One year ago, the Colts signed Allen to a four-year deal, $29.4 million deal. The Colts paid out $12 million in 2016. The Patriots will pay him $5 million in 2017.

Cap hits of $4.9375M in 2017, $5M in 2018 and $7.4M in 2019 (credit to patscap.com's Miguel Benzan).

No word on Comp yet. A lot of mixed reactions on how good he may or may not be.

@KevinRDuffy

Allen is 27 years old, blocking TE. Also has athleticism to be a difference maker in passing game.

Compensation is "likely a late round pick" according to Field Yates.

Good move. As somebody who can stretch the defense when given the opportunity, and be competent as a blocker, it gives the Patriots an option in the open field. Now what we need to do is get a slot receiver through free agency or the draft to replace Amendola

The trade is a 4th (#137) for Allen and a 6th (#200). Typical Patriots move. Same compensation as for Bennett last year.

This is the fantasy football me talking but he was always worth having on your roster in an emergency situation. He might be quiet for several games in a row and then have a big game. I think in a new system, he might see a career year especially being paired up with Gronk not to mention going from Luck to Brady throwing you the ball.

Allen has shown flashes of being a really good tight end but has had issues with consistency and injuries. I also don't think we were using him correctly.

I wish him well. He could do really well with you guys if he stays healthy and the system works for him.

ROFL

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Colts have to hang a banner for paying Allen nearly $12 million and then giving him away to the Patriots.</p>— Jeff Howe (@jeffphowe) <a href="https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/839595231498629135">March 8, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Contract details for Allen:

Base Salaries of $2.5M, $4.5M and $6.9M. $500k in per game roster boni each year ($31250 per game). Roster Bonus of $2M in 2017.

His 2017 base salary and roster bonus become fully guaranteed on March 13. No other guarantees.

DocFlynn‏
@jessdeede

@MikeReiss Allen missed all of 2013 for hip surgery. Hip not listed since. 1-3 games/season for ankle. 2016 only missed 1.

The trade is a 4th (#137) for Allen and a 6th (#200). Typical Patriots move. Same compensation as for Bennett last year.

So the Patriots give up a 4th #137 and get Allen and a 6th rounder #200 from the Colts? Which means the Patriots have the same # of draft picks as they had before the trade (8)?

So the Patriots give up a 4th #137 and get Allen and a 6th rounder #200 from the Colts? Which means the Patriots have the same # of draft picks as they had before the trade (8)?

Correct. Basically, they traded down 63 spots and got Allen in return.

From Bleacher Report

The New England Patriots acquired tight end Dwayne Allen from the Indianapolis Colts, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday. ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed the report.

According to Schefter, the Patriots sent a fourth-round draft pick to the Colts and received a sixth-rounder in addition to Allen.

The veteran tight end provided a statement on Twitter:

Dwayne Allen
@Dallen83
https://t.co/2mqALkEtVS

3/8/2017, 5:01:33 PM

Former Colts linebacker Robert Mathis was surprised to see Indianapolis trading with an AFC rival:

ROBERT MATHIS The1st
@RobertMathis98
WHOA!!! Traded Martellus Bennett for Dwayne Allen!!! We did business with the Pats lol ... times change 😂😂😂😂

3/8/2017, 4:32:16 PM

Allen caught 35 passes for 406 yards and six touchdowns in 14 games for the Colts last year.

The trade likely means New England will opt against re-signing Martellus Bennett this offseason.

Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke applauded the Patriots' aggression:

Chris Burke
@ChrisBurke_SI
Part of why the Patriots stay so good is because Belichick doesn't treat picks like gifts from heaven. "A six? Yea, I don't effing care."

3/8/2017, 4:42:19 PM

Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman also praised New England's constant gamesmanship:

mike freeman
@mikefreemanNFL
The Patriots don't just play chess while everyone else plays checkers. They play three dimensional chess. Like Spock.

3/8/2017, 4:29:54 PM​

Opting for Allen over Bennett could result in relatively significant savings for New England.

According to Spotrac, Allen is signed for three more years and carries an average cap hit of roughly $5.8 million a year. Spotrac estimates Bennett's market value to be $6 million annually, but Rapoport reported in December he turned down $7 million a year before the start of the 2016 season.

Allen doesn't have the receiving pedigree of Bennett. In 57 career games, he has caught 126 passes for 1,451 yards and 19 touchdowns. Bennett, meanwhile, has 403 career receptions for 4,287 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Allen is considered a better blocker, though, which Patriots head coach Bill Belichick noted in the past, per ESPN.com's Mike Reiss:

Mike Reiss
@MikeReiss
Bill Belichick spoke highly of TE Dwayne Allen prior to '14 game vs. Colts. "I think he's one of the best blocking tight ends we'll see."

3/8/2017, 4:32:00 PM

Assuming Rob Gronkowski can stay healthy, Allen would be a great foil in the Patriots offense. Should Gronkowski miss time, though, it's doubtful Allen would be able to replicate Bennett's production from the 2016 campaign.

Still, the Patriots were proactive in finding Bennett's replacement, and trading for Allen now allows the team to avoid being left without a backup plan at tight end if Bennett walked in free agency.

I'd take the quote of BB by Reiss with a grain of salt. That was discussing an opponent and we all know BB always praises whomever we're playing any given week.

Nevertheless, BB wouldn't have traded for him if he didn't think he could help.

From Shutdown Corner

The Patriots have good luck acquiring veterans on the cheap, and it certainly seems that could happen with Allen, who is just 27 years old. Not that it should surprise anyone, but the Allen acquisition practically ensures that free agent Martellus Bennett won’t be back in New England. It also shows that the Patriots understand they need a quality second option with Rob Gronkowski coming off back surgery.
The deal drew a humorous response from former Colt Robert Mathis on Twitter, although Bennett’s role in his tweet was a bit overstated:

ROBERT MATHIS The1st‏Verified account <s>@</s>RobertMathis98
WHOA!!! Traded Martellus Bennett for Dwayne Allen!!! We did business with the Pats lol ... times change
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
Allen isn’t coming off a great season, with just 406 yards on 35 catches, but he is a good red-zone threat and a good blocker. And the Patriots have a way of maximizing talent, as they did with Bennett last year after acquiring him in a trade with the Chicago Bears.
The Colts, who picked Allen over Fleener (who signed with the New Orleans Saints as a free agent) last season, picked Jack Doyle over Allen this year. Doyle signed a three-year deal worth $19 million this week before he could hit free agency. That led the Colts to deal Allen. The Patriots have a surprising amount of salary cap space, $62 million, so it doesn’t hurt them to take on Allen’s salary.
Allen has been a solid player in his NFL career, though plagued with injuries. Maybe he’ll break out some with the Patriots. It wouldn’t be the first time a player has done that in New England.
<figure class="canvas-image Mx(a) canvas-atom My(24px) My(20px)--sm" style="max-width:100%;" data-type="image" data-reactid="18">
4a788998b9bc3bcbdb84a83944febbd6

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/patrio...nd-dwayne-allen-from-the-colts-214021705.html

<figcaption class="C(#787d82) Fz(13px) Py(5px) Lh(1.5)" title="The Patriots have acquired tight end Dwayne Allen in a trade. (AP)" data-reactid="23"></figcaption>
</figure>

Back