Bucs at Pats: Game Thread

LMAO Bolden...good one!

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 12s
What did Bolden think when he broke through a few holes? "'Don't get caught,' but that didn't work for me."

You know what I really like about Thompkins that no one talks about?
He acts like a pro when he makes plays. No silly dancing around.

LMAO Bolden...good one!

Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 12s
What did Bolden think when he broke through a few holes? "'Don't get caught,' but that didn't work for me."

You know what I really like about Thompkins that no one talks about?
He acts like a pro when he makes plays. No silly dancing around.

Me, too. Very workmanlike.

=============

PATRIOTS DEFENSE ALLOWS THREE POINTS IN SOLID DEFENSIVE EFFORT
The New England defense allowed only three Tampa Bay points, marking the third consecutive home game the Patriots defense has allowed 10 points or less and the first time since 1997 that the Patriots defense has allowed three points or less in a September game. New England closed out the 2012 regular season with a 28-0 shutout of Miami at Gillette Stadium and opened its 2012 home slate with a 13-10 win over the New York Jets on Sept. 12. The last time New England allowed three points or fewer in a September game was in a 31-3 win over Chicago at Foxboro Stadium on Sept. 21, 1997. Before today, the last time the Patriots defense held an opponent to less than 10 points in a September game was on Sept. 23, 2007, in a 38-7 win over Buffalo in Foxborough.

PATRIOTS DEFENSE STARTS 2013 SEASON STRONG; TEAM ALLOWS FEWEST POINTS THROUGH THREE GAMES SINCE 1979
The Patriots have allowed a total of 34 points through three games this season. The Patriots defense has allowed only 27 points this season (seven opponent points came on a fumble return). The 34 total points allowed by the Patriots are the fewest for the team through three games since 1979, when New England started the season by allowing 33 points in the first three games (losing 16-13 to Pittsburgh in overtime, beating the New York Jets 56-3, and then winning 20-14 at Cincinnati). The 34 points allowed are the second fewest in team history in the first three games, trailing only the 1979 team.
BRANDON BOLDEN MAKES 2013 DEBUT AND MAKES FIRST CAREER START, TOTALS 100 SCRIMMAGE YARDS
RB <nobr>Brandon Bolden</nobr> made his 2013 season debut after missing the first two games of the year and made his first NFL start against Tampa Bay. Bolden finished the game with exactly 100 yards from scrimmage (51 rushing, 49 receiving), with that total leading the team. Bolden’s 100 yards from scrimmage were the second-highest such total of his career, trailing only his 148 scrimmage yards at Buffalo on Sept. 20, 2012 (137 rushing, 11 receiving).

BOLDEN HAS CAREER LONG RUN IN THE THIRD QUARTER
RB Brandon Bolden had a career-long 46-yard run in the third quarter. His previous best was a 27-yard run at Buffalo on Sept. 30, 2012. It was the longest run by a Patriots player since Nov. 18, 2012 when WR <nobr>Julian Edelman</nobr> had a 47-yard run. It is the longest run by a Patriots running back since Sammy Morris had a 55-yard run on Dec. 27, 2009 vs. Jacksonville.

BOLDEN HAS CAREER-BEST RECEIVING PERFORMANCE
Brandon Bolden set career highs with five receptions and 49 receiving yards. Coming into the game, Bolden had two career receptions for 11 yards.

KENBRELL THOMPKINS SCORES FIRST NFL TOUCHDOWNS
Rookie WR Kenbrell Thompkins scored his first two NFL touchdown today against Tampa Bay. Thompkins tallied his first career score on a 16-yard pass from QB Tom Brady in the second quarter. He added his second touchdown on a 5-yard reception from Brady with 47 seconds to play in the first half.

BELICHICK ONE WIN AWAY FROM TYING CHUCK NOLL FOR FIFTH PLACE ALL-TIME
Bill Belichick won his 208th career game, bringing him within one win of Chuck Noll for fifth place on the NFL’s all-time wins list.

STEPHEN GOSTKOWSKI TIES CAREER HIGH
K <nobr>Stephen Gostkowski</nobr> tied a career-high with a 53-yard field goal at the end of the first half. He also had a 53-yard field goal vs. Arizona on Sept. 16, 2012 and at Denver on Oct. 11, 2009. Gostkowski was a perfect 3-for-3 on field goals against Tampa Bay.

GOSTKOWSKI TIES PATRIOTS RECORD WITH HIS EIGHTH FIELD GOAL OF 50 OR MORE YARDS
Stephen Gostkowski’s 53-yard field goal at the end of the first half was his eighth 50-yard field goal. He is now tied with Adam Vinatieri for the most field goals of 50 or more yards in team history with eight.

TALIB HAS THIRD INTERCEPTION OF 2013
Aqib Talib intercepted a Josh Freeman pass at the Tampa Bay 43-yard line with 16 seconds left in the first half to set up a quick Patriots field goal that gave New England a 17-3 halftime lead. Talib’s interception was his third in as many quarters, having had a pair of fourth-quarter interceptions against the Jets last week.

TOM BRADY IMPORVES ON HIS HOME DOMINANCE
Tom Brady now has an 88-16 record at home. It is the best record among starting quarterbacks in home games since the 1970 merger. In all games, Brady is now 35-9 all-time against the NFC as a starter in the regular season.

PATRIOTS ARE SHARP AT GILLETTE
The Patriots now own an overall record of 74-15 (.831) at Gillette Stadium in regular season games. New England has won 32 of its past 35 games at home.

EDLEMAN SURPASES 2012 RECEIVING TOTALS
Julian Edelman has 27 receptions through three games in 2013, already surpassing his 2012 season total (21). Edelman’s career high for receptions is 37 catches, achieved as a rookie in 2009.

EDELMAN HAS THE HIGHEST PUNT RETURN AVERAGE IN NFL HISTORY
Edelman returned two punts for 29 yards against Tampa Bay and now has returned 83 punts for 1,076 yards during his Patriots’ career and has the highest punt return average in NFL history with a 13.0-yard average.

http://www.patriots.com/news/articl...ccaneers/19f73f88-aa3b-401d-9451-070dfafb5e6d

Another good game by the Defense. That 3 Straight weeks they been impressive. Next week is a big test against the falcons.

Arrington didn't have a very good game today. He was replaced by Logan Ryan as the nickel CB for a time.

Jaime Collins played more today than in the previous 2 games combined. Progress.

Zach Sudfeld has been targeted 3 times...2 were ints. :facepalm:

Bolden was very productive today. More yards than Ridley in previous 2 games combined.

Arrington didn't have a very good game today. He was replaced by Logan Ryan as the nickel CB for a time.

Jaime Collins played more today than in the previous 2 games combined. Progress.

Bolden was very productive today. More yards than Ridley in previous 2 games combined.
Speaking of Suds does anyone who went to the game get a good view of him on blocking assignments and his route running?

One was not his fault. Bradt stared him down. This was his second game. Just like the Rookie WR's he still getting used to this offense.

It was nice to see Bolden getting some production in the Faulk/Vereen role.

Brady was pretty bad today. Not sure what's up with him but he's playing very average.

Nice to see Thompkins settling in and Dobson progressing but both of them (as well as Boyce) still have way too buttery fingers for my tastes. I guess I just got spoiled watching Wes and Gronk catch anything that got even remotely near them. But Edelman continues to be money.

Talking heads postgame were raving about the D but, frankly, from inside the stadium, I wasn't impressed. It seemed like the same old D--no pass rush + no good defensive back play. Passes were being completed on third down, with no defenders in sight. Much like the offense, the defense did get better as the game went on but, frankly, if Josh Freeman didn't suck donkey balls, this would've been a far different game.

Despite the fact that Atlanta is 1-2 and just lost to Miami, I think the Pats might get smoked next week. These first three games were against mediocre/mirage teams and, while the O is progressing, it's nowhere near it needs to be. Still too many "two feet and a cloud of dusts" from Blount and Ridley, no production from the TE at all, the O-line is blocking shoddily, Brady is often off-target, the receivers are still a work in progress... I'm just glad they started 3-0 because it could be a lot worse.

Brady was pretty bad today. Not sure what's up with him but he's playing very average.

Nice to see Thompkins settling in and Dobson progressing but both of them (as well as Boyce) still have way too buttery fingers for my tastes. I guess I just got spoiled watching Wes and Gronk catch anything that got even remotely near them. But Edelman continues to be money.

Talking heads postgame were raving about the D but, frankly, from inside the stadium, I wasn't impressed. It seemed like the same old D--no pass rush + no good defensive back play. Passes were being completed on third down, with no defenders in sight. Much like the offense, the defense did get better as the game went on but, frankly, if Josh Freeman didn't suck donkey balls, this would've been a far different game.

Despite the fact that Atlanta is 1-2 and just lost to Miami, I think the Pats might get smoked next week. These first three games were against mediocre/mirage teams and, while the O is progressing, it's nowhere near it needs to be. Still too many "two feet and a cloud of dusts" from Blount and Ridley, no production from the TE at all, the O-line is blocking shoddily, Brady is often off-target, the receivers are still a work in progress... I'm just glad they started 3-0 because it could be a lot worse.

Not sure whats wrong with Brady? Ummm its called getting an entirely new receiving corp 3 of which are rookies and not having your two most dependable playmakers for 2 out of 3 games....Brady was fine today. I would hate to see a lot of QB's playing with that this year. If you could not see improvement with how Brady is molding these kids not sure what to tell you.

Hopefully that changes next week. When Gronk Returns. I thought pats did a good job getting pressure on Freeman today. Brady did have 3 WTF throws in the redzone. He under throw Dobson. Way over throw Thompkins on a quick out & stared down Suds on 3rd down for a INT.

Hopefully that changes next week. When Gronk Returns. I thought pats did a good job getting pressure on Freeman today. Brady did have 3 WTF throws in the redzone. He under throw Dobson. Way over throw Thompkins on a quick out & stared down Suds on 3rd down for a INT.

The int was WTF, the other two throws he was hit on the throw. Thanks to reading pat kirwin's book I watch away from the ball a lot more than I used to.

Not sure whats wrong with Brady? Ummm its called getting an entirely new receiving corp 3 of which are rookies and not having your two most dependable playmakers for 2 out of 3 games....Brady was fine today. I would hate to see a lot of QB's playing with that this year. If you could not see improvement with how Brady is molding these kids not sure what to tell you.

Middy, Brady played a pedestrian game. He missed some guys who were wide, wide open, and threw a stupid INT in the red zone.

Stop with the knee jerk defense. It's old.

Can't blame the Rookie WR's today. He had a off game it happens. Even with that I thought the offense . Improved a lot since last week.

A lot of good to come out of the game today. The Pats looked remarkably, noticably better in this game and it showed.

Brady was definitely off, though. Overthrowing recievers, holding onto the ball way too long, and throwing an AWFUL INT in the pats end xone. TFB just didn't look like himself out there; One has to wonder if his play is being affected by all the new receivers, or age is starting to affect him.

A lot of good to come out of the game today. The Pats looked remarkably, noticably better in this game and it showed.

Brady was definitely off, though. Overthrowing recievers, holding onto the ball way too long, and throwing an AWFUL INT in the pats end xone. TFB just didn't look like himself out there; One has to wonder if his play is being affected by all the new receivers, or age is starting to affect him.

Yeah has to be age, having 3 rookies and Edelman has your weapons is always good. Oline has been iffy at best in pass protection as well. I wish our biggest issue was Brady. I did not see an overthrow which one was that? Holding the ball is sometimes about nobody being open, Last year Brady was the fastest Qb at getting rid of the ball in the league....what changed. lets see....hmmmm....

Middy, Brady played a pedestrian game. He missed some guys who were wide, wide open, and threw a stupid INT in the red zone.

No defense, I just watched the game. Brady had good control with his receivers, he had a bad int in the game, other then that, I thought everything was on point for the most part when he had some time, which in some cases he did not. Brady is trying to get through this as best he can, and it gets better every week. I for one am happy that its him, because I am not sure how any other QB would handle it.

Here come the Pats.

I guess I can forget about a team from the AFCE or AFCN going 7-9 or 6-10 and winning the division. Maybe one of the NFC divisions will come through for me.

Schiano is in over his head.

Maybe Edelman and Thompkins should have thrown a hissy fit when Brady missed them.

Can we drop the drops please.

We got the perfect first three games for a young defense looking to establish itself.

In case you didn't know it, Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick.

How about the AFC? 11-3 and counting.

De-FENSE! De-FENSE! De-FENSE

Yeah, he wasn't quite right. At the outset, it was clear that he still didn't fully trust the young guys as he was doing his best Drew Bledsoe impression. There was one early drive where he took a sack instead of dumping it to an uncovered Ridley and later worm burned a toss to Thompkins who was open.

He did get more comfortable as the game went on and the rookies rewarded him for it. The OL started holding up better as well.

Yeah, there were far too many easy plays for my liking in the early part of the game. Tampa should have been up 10-3 and could have been up 17-3 if they had just held on to the ball. And that isn't even counting the plays that a better QB might have made.

Still, you have to be encouraged at how the team looked for the final three quarters. This game reminded me of the 2004 Baltimore 24-3 beat down when the Patriots never feared Boller and, while they could have scored more, they chose instead to slowly grind the Ravens to pulp.

If the Patriot team that played the final 40 minutes takes the field in Atlanta, they will win. They very well could get blown out if they play the same for the first 20 minutes, but it is important to realize that Tampa has a significantly better defense than Atlanta, and the Falcons are really beat up right now. I'll be very surprised if they beat NE by more than 10 points.

Bolden was impressive, though he really pissed me off on that faux-bad-snap play. The first down was there and he pussy footed it giving the defense a chance to catch up. On third downs you have to just get the sticks and worry about yardage later. Had NE not converted the 4th, that play could have been a backbreaker.

Personally, even though NE racked up some yardage running, I wasn't that impressed with the rush O. It's nice to know that they might be able to put away games, but I'd prefer to see more success in the early going.

BTW, I have to chuckle at this line:

I guess I just got spoiled watching Wes and Gronk catch anything that got even remotely near them.

Let's just say that I'm not missing Wes' hands. I think you might have watched yesterday's game with last week in mind. If anything, Tampa had all the drops, not the Pats.

Back