Cassius Marsh Waived

What a waste of draft stock indeed. However, word is Cooks wants to stay a Patriot for life so, I'm less pissed. :)

A public endorsement of why would be very helpful to the FA cause for future seasons.
Well, this is a start I suppose. Perhaps some more quotes can be added as this season progresses along such that a positive promo package can be produced ;-)

"The goal is to play the rest of my career here," Cooks told CBSSports.com. "That's God willing. I don't know what the future holds, but this is a special place."

Saw that on social media discussions, fans asking will the Pats take him.

Can we? What will we have to pay and could he still produce?

If you had watched Freeney's spin-moves-to-nowhere last night, you may be singing a different tune.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/21/patriots-waive-cassius-marsh/

Well, those were some completely wasted draft picks.

I hope this Eric Lee guy can learn fast and give us something worthwhile.

Not true, those draft picks got us:

- A player in the building, driving competition and therefore results at his position group
- 14 tackles, 2 assists, and a sack
- The chance to see how he fit in the Pats system and how far he could go in terms of his skillset
- A player off the Seahawks, weakening them in theory
- 8 wins

I mean sure, maybe you want more from those picks, but fundamentally the player we got Played for us, in live games. Even if he only saw the practice field I would still argue that does NOT mean the picks were a waste, but that wasn't the case here, and having someone who can take productive snaps an contribute to a winning football team is not guaranteed.

I'm just sad to see him go because he seemed like a cool dude. Unfortunately you only have so many roster slots, and clearly Belichick wanted more value from that slot, which is unfortunately the higher priority than 'more value from those picks', much less 'keeping a cool dude'.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/21/patriots-waive-cassius-marsh/

Well, those were some completely wasted draft picks.

I hope this Eric Lee guy can learn fast and give us something worthwhile.

Mike R. says the Pats were drawn to Eric Lee from joint practices with the Texans and the 2nd preseason game. Very disruptive, stood his ground on the edge and pressured the pocket consistently. He showed great strength and shedding ability in 1 on 1s in practices.
Another player the Pats picked up because they saw him in joint practices.

Mike R. says the Pats were drawn to Eric Lee from joint practices with the Texans and the 2nd preseason game. Very disruptive, stood his ground on the edge and pressured the pocket consistently. He showed great strength and shedding ability in 1 on 1s in practices.
Another player the Pats picked up because they saw him in joint practices.

So why wait so long to snag him? Wasn't he available for a while now?

Just have a look at Patriots joint-practice opponents year by year. Using the practices as a chance to do a little advanced scouting, they've plucked at least one player from every joint-practice opponent they've seen since 2010. Last year, the Patriots worked against the Saints and the Bears. No one remembers former Bears tight end Rob Housler's brief tenure with the Patriots after he signed a future deal with the club last winter. But how about Brandin Cooks? The Patriots got their second close look at Cooks in 2016 -- he was with the Saints during joint practices with the Patriots in 2015 -- and then traded a first-round pick to acquire him the following offseason.
Here's a full rundown of the Patriots joint-practice opponents who were eventually acquired by New England . . .
2016 vs. Saints: WR Brandin Cooks, acquired in a trade in 2016.
2016 vs. Bears: TE Rob Housler, signed to a future contract in 2016.
2015 vs. Saints: DL Akiem Hicks, acquired in a trade in 2015; LB Ramon Humber, signed as a free agent in 2016; Cooks.
2014 vs. Redskins: DL Frank Kearse, signed as a free agent in 2016; CB EJ Biggers, signed as a free agent in 2016.
2014 vs. Eagles: CB Bradley Fletcher, signed as a free agent in 2015.
2013 vs. Buccaneers: LB Jonathan Casillas, acquired in a trade in 2014; TE Tim Wright, acquired in a trade in 2014.
2013 vs. Eagles: S Patrick Chung, signed as a free agent in 2014; WR Damaris Johnson, claimed on waivers from Houston in 2015; CB Bradley Fletcher, signed as a free agent in 2015.
2012 vs. Saints: RB Travaris Cadet, signed as a free agent in 2015; Casillas; LB Ramon Humber, signed as a free agent in 2016; DL Akiem Hicks, acquired in a trade in 2015.
2012 vs. Buccaneers: RB LeGarrette Blount, acquired in a trade in 2013; CB Aqib Talib, acquired in a trade in 2012; Biggers; LB Dekoda Watson, signed as a free agent in 2015.
2011: No joint sessions following NFL lockout.
2010 vs. Saints: Humber; DE Will Smith, signed as a free agent in 2014.
2010 vs. Falcons: WR Michael Jenkins, signed as a free agent in 2013.
http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new...on-texans-jacksonville-jaguars-joint-practice

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

So why wait so long to snag him? Wasn't he available for a while now?

Good question. Thought Marsh would be better because of experience? Plus, the Bills picked him up

Here's one of several videos Mike put on twitter to show Lee's ability. https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/933188943335575552
Another one: https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/933188363523428352

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new...on-texans-jacksonville-jaguars-joint-practice

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Good question. Thought Marsh would be better because of experience? Plus, the Bills picked him up

Here's one of several videos Mike put on twitter to show Lee's ability. https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/933188943335575552
Another one: https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/933188363523428352

Marsh was on a pretty rapid trajectory from what was being reported from his Seattle teammates. Worth a look.

And he also has one which may explain the timing of letting Marsh go.

As Cassius Marsh's special-teams snaps declined, so did his value to Pats

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – A few thoughts on Tuesday’s release of defensive end Cassius Marsh:

Fourth down as much of a factor as the other three downs. When the Patriots acquired Marsh, it was noted that he had been one of the Seahawks’ best special-teams players. The Patriots had big plans for him in the kicking game, as evidenced by him playing 32 special-teams snaps in the season opener against the Chiefs. But Marsh’s contributions on special teams sharply declined as the year progressed, as he went from a core player to a niche one (just six snaps on fourth down Sunday). One reason was the emergence of linebacker Trevor Reilly, who has been one of the Patriots’ best special-teams players.In some ways, Reilly supplanted Marsh -- first on special teams and at times on the edge while playing on defense.

Reilly was promoted from the practice squad on 10/25 and played in the last three games.

So if Reilly has supplanted Marsh, he certainly couldn't have done that before 10/25

Not true, those draft picks got us:

- A player in the building, driving competition and therefore results at his position group
- 14 tackles, 2 assists, and a sack
- The chance to see how he fit in the Pats system and how far he could go in terms of his skillset
- A player off the Seahawks, weakening them in theory
- 8 wins

I mean sure, maybe you want more from those picks, but fundamentally the player we got Played for us, in live games. Even if he only saw the practice field I would still argue that does NOT mean the picks were a waste, but that wasn't the case here, and having someone who can take productive snaps an contribute to a winning football team is not guaranteed.

I'm just sad to see him go because he seemed like a cool dude. Unfortunately you only have so many roster slots, and clearly Belichick wanted more value from that slot, which is unfortunately the higher priority than 'more value from those picks', much less 'keeping a cool dude'.

Yeah, that’s a pretty lame/weak return for trading two draft picks. One of which was a 5th rounder.

I’m sure that it won’t hurt them much in the end, but that trade was a bust.

Back