Chip Kelly and Baalke fired.....

Most of the HC openings this offseason are going to be dumpster fires. The Niners have gutted themselves and what coach is going to want to work there when they fire you after Week 17 all the time. The Chargers don't even know what city they'll be in. The Jaguars have no QB and it's a crappy city. Detroit, if they change coaches, have some decent talent but it's also a crappy city. The Rams, you have to deal with the young QB whether you like him or not. Denver, it'll be hard to have success with a controlling front office. Indy, again, you have little control although you have the only decent established QB who isn't close to retirement. Even though there will be a shitload of openings, McDaniels and Patricia will have to think long and hard about whether they want any part of it...

I've said it before, Kelly and Boston College would be a great fit. Kelly is a local guy and could be a hero around here if he could salvage that program.

Most of the HC openings this offseason are going to be dumpster fires. The Niners have gutted themselves and what coach is going to want to work there when they fire you after Week 17 all the time. The Chargers don't even know what city they'll be in. The Jaguars have no QB and it's a crappy city. Detroit, if they change coaches, have some decent talent but it's also a crappy city. The Rams, you have to deal with the young QB whether you like him or not. Denver, it'll be hard to have success with a controlling front office. Indy, again, you have little control although you have the only decent established QB who isn't close to retirement. Even though there will be a shitload of openings, McDaniels and Patricia will have to think long and hard about whether they want any part of it...

I honestly think the Jags job is a pretty good one. Owner who lets his football people do the football things and who keeps a low profile but is willing to spend the money if needed, some decent talent on both sides of the ball. Bortles may be unfixable, who knows? But as long as I had the ability to bring in my own guy, that wouldn't stop me.
Also, a winnable division every year.
Only negative is all the overseas trips they do.

I'm watching York's press conference live on NFLN now.

He's rattling on about how the HC and GM will have to be on the same page etc etc.

Has there ever been a really successful team built on having a HC and a GM? I'm not sure it can ever work well because the roles blur into each other too much and egos will inevitably clash.

York is saying Baalke had a defensive mindset and Kelly an offensive one and they weren't on the same page. But that's ownerships fault.....they make the call. Very nice to live in these ivory towers where you're not accountable to anyone.

York is one of those owners who was born on 3rd base, a sad reality of rich people where the relative earned it all through their work, but the next generation not so much. They have 0 life skills.

York should hire a solid GM and let the GM hire the HC.

York is one of those owners who was born on 3rd base, a sad reality of rich people where the relative earned it all through their work, but the next generation not so much. They have 0 life skills.

It's a huge issue IMHO. I mean you'd never get a huge publicaly listed company like GE or GM allowing that the CEOs soon just takes over the reins after the dad leaves. And we'll have this with Jonathan Kraft. I'm sure he's a good guy and seems OK, but lets face it, he's there because of his dad. He hasn't earned it. It was Robert who got the cash togther and had the foresight to buy the team and make the decisions that lead us to where we are today.

It's a failing of privately held business. Fathers/Mothers want to pass the baton to their kids. It's understandable, your kids are everything, but it's still wrong. We don't live in a monarchy, we don't have a landed gentry class. So why do we allow it in business?

It's a huge issue IMHO. I mean you'd never get a huge publicaly listed company like GE or GM allowing that the CEOs soon just takes over the reins after the dad leaves. And we'll have this with Jonathan Kraft. I'm sure he's a good guy and seems OK, but lets face it, he's there because of his dad. He hasn't earned it. It was Robert who got the cash togther and had the foresight to buy the team and make the decisions that lead us to where we are today.

It's a failing of privately held business. Fathers/Mothers want to pass the baton to their kids. It's understandable, your kids are everything, but it's still wrong. We don't live in a monarchy, we don't have a landed gentry class. So why do we allow it in business?

I think the Rooneys and Maras have done OK with their parents (and gradnparents) franchises.

I agree, Roberto, I wish there were an easy answer. I mean you can't forbid a person from passing on to their relatives, but you would hope they would "get" practically speaking how they might want to make better arrangements (i.e. have a will that designates that the heirs are given generous trust funds and mandate the sale of the company) since the company is bound to be run into the ground by their incompetence anyway. It's sad that too often, family bonds blind people to reality.

The Rooneys and Maras are in bed with the govt (NFL).
That's how a lot of the big corps stay successful too.

We don't live in a monarchy, we don't have a landed gentry class. So why do we allow it in business?
I don't see that it's a problem. Why should "we" do something to prevent it? And what would that be - pass a law that requires a business owner to disinherit his family?

If the next generation does poorly, then other businesses (NFL franchises in this case) step up and succeed.

Is that not what a free market is all about?

I don't see that it's a problem. Why should "we" do something to prevent it? And what would that be - pass a law that requires a business owner to disinherit his family?

If the next generation does poorly, then other businesses (NFL franchises in this case) step up and succeed.

Is that not what a free market is all about?

I'm a capitalist and at the heart of that should be a simple ethic of meritocracy. Capital is allocated to those businesses who deserve it. Same with people, they should be appointed to positions because they deserve it. People shouldn't inherit positions just because of their father! That's ridiculous.

You think Tom Brady's son should be appointed now to become the Patriots QB in 15 years time?

Right, I am not in favor of forbidding people by law to dispose of their property how they see fit. It just sucks that some are so bad at doing it.

I'm a capitalist and at the heart of that should be a simple ethic of meritocracy. Capital is allocated to those businesses who deserve it. Same with people, they should be appointed to positions because they deserve it. People shouldn't inherit positions just because of their father! That's ridiculous.

You think Tom Brady's son should be appointed now to become the Patriots QB in 15 years time?
I didn't say that, nor do I think it. In fact, in my post, I said that when the nepotism-based business fails, other businesses will succeed.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

I didn't say that, nor do I think it. In fact, in my post, I said that when the nepotism-based business fails, other businesses will succeed.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

No I don't. Thanks for asking though.

Seems like we've gotten a bit off topic here.

:toast:

:tmack:

Back