Christian McCaffrey

Yeah it doesn't bother me if he opts out of a university fundraiser.

I agree the NCAA is corrupt, 100%.
Yes that game makes them money. Yes that whole deal sucks. Yes the game doesn't "mean"anything. I get intellectually why he didn't do it, or anything else.

It's still an actual team game, and he's not playing in it on purpose.

I'm sure his teammates coaches etc. all told him they were fine with it. I have heard the same thing. Do I think every one of them meant it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe unlike him, some of them were being good teammates and supporting his decision. Maybe they support it, but have lost respect for him as a teammate. We will likely never know. And they are going their separate ways anyhow, it's not a team to which he is returning. So to an extent, I am sure he gives 0 fvcks what they think of him, and they give 0 fvcks about his teammatehood.

I want a guy with a more team first mentality when it comes to this sport. Everyone gets hurt, EVERYONE. It's not an individual sport like tennis or golf. If you won't play for your TEAMMATES (not the university, who cares about them, eff them) because you are too scared to get hurt, well, go take up tennis or golf.

It may not make "intellectual" sense to feel this way but it's the nature, the ESSENCE of the sport to me.

It may not make "intellectual" sense to feel this way but it's the nature, the ESSENCE of the sport to me.

The bowl game meant nothing.
Marcus Lattimore ruined his NFL career in a bowl game that meant nothing.
GMs won't care 1 whit that he skipped it and they'll appreciate that he's thinking outside the box to have an NFL career.

Do I think every one of them meant it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe unlike him, some of them were being good teammates and supporting his decision. Maybe they support it, but have lost respect for him as a teammate. We will likely never know. And they are going their separate ways anyhow, it's not a team to which he is returning. So to an extent, I am sure he gives 0 fvcks what they think of him, and they give 0 fvcks about his teammatehood.

I can tell you that this wasn't a last second decision on his part. These kids knew for several weeks going in that he wasn't going to play. Every one of them understood the decision and why he made it. We're talking about guys going to Stanford...they're not idiots.

Tennessee Titan DT Jurrell Casey quoted by PFT TV show this morning on teammate RB Derrick Henry not showing up for voluntary unpaid OTAs:
"It puts that little checkmark in the back of my mind and lets me know who I can count on and can't count on. You want to see your teammates show up."

It can put doubt in some guys minds. In a team sport, that's a killer, IMO.

Tennessee Titan DT Jurrell Casey quoted by PFT TV show this morning on teammate RB Derrick Henry not showing up for voluntary unpaid OTAs:
"It puts that little checkmark in the back of my mind and lets me know who I can count on and can't count on. You want to see your teammates show up."

This I would have a problem with. At this point the guy is a professional.

Totally understand Casey's view. At this point of the offseason, you have to work out to get in shape for training camp. Why not do it with your teammates? Looks like he'd rather work out in Tuscaloosa than Nashville.

Totally understand. At this point of the offseason, you have to work out to get in shape for training camp. Why not do it with your teammates? Looks like he'd rather work out in Tuscaloosa than Nashville.

Miami alum were always noted for sticking with their program.

If you're gonna choose this path you better show up ready.

I agree the NCAA is corrupt, 100%.
Yes that game makes them money. Yes that whole deal sucks. Yes the game doesn't "mean"anything. I get intellectually why he didn't do it, or anything else.

It's still an actual team game, and he's not playing in it on purpose.

I'm sure his teammates coaches etc. all told him they were fine with it. I have heard the same thing. Do I think every one of them meant it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe unlike him, some of them were being good teammates and supporting his decision. Maybe they support it, but have lost respect for him as a teammate. We will likely never know. And they are going their separate ways anyhow, it's not a team to which he is returning. So to an extent, I am sure he gives 0 fvcks what they think of him, and they give 0 fvcks about his teammatehood.

I want a guy with a more team first mentality when it comes to this sport. Everyone gets hurt, EVERYONE. It's not an individual sport like tennis or golf. If you won't play for your TEAMMATES (not the university, who cares about them, eff them) because you are too scared to get hurt, well, go take up tennis or golf.

You are so missing the point about team and business and taking care of yourself.

He isn't deserting his teammates by not playing in a bowl game unless every NFL player who opts to go to another team is deserting HIS teammates.

It's an effing job. WHen NFL players are being paid, they should do their job and play. Like you say, everyone gets hurt. That doesn't mean you should get hurt BEFORE you have your job.

I get your indignation, but you are setting a standard you would never live up to yourself if your future was on the line. Or, if you were about to retire, and before you left your job, your company asked you to do about 12 or 14 things, any one of which has a 1 in 300 chance (at least 2 players get hurt every year in pro day.combine/private workouts) totally negating your retirement package and leaving you with nothing, and oh, by the way, you get zilch if you do it other that you are a good teammate, would you risk the retirement you planned with your spouse?

That's at issue. Everything a draft-eligible player has worked for all his life has a real chance of not happening with nothing to gain except guys will respect you for being so dumb, and people with zero empathy will say you have not character.

Hey, every NFL player who leaves his NFL team to get more money from another team is leaving his teammates. It's a business, not a club.

I'd have an issue with Henry not showing up for team work outs. He's putting the 'I' before the 'team' after he became a team member.

@spacecrime,
Regular 9-5ers aren't in the same position.
That's why I used military in my comparison, working as a unit,success depends on it.
I don't mind when guys leave their teams for money. I don't expect that type of loyalty to team, fans etc . I exepect they are as one with their teammates on the team they are on, that's all. It's about the team functioning as a unit, not about, well I like these guys and this team so I can't leave for more money. It's a mentality, just like how these guys can make themselves play through godawful injuries so the don't lose their jobs/let their teammates down.

O.Z.O. Jr's best friend since 4th grade is at Stanford on a full ride. McCaffery told the entire team he wouldn't be playing in the bowl game and told them why. That included the coaching staff. Every one of them fully supported his decision. He was in a position where an injury could have potentially cost him 10M...every one of them realized that it could potentially be the same thing with them. If it didn't bother his teammates or coaches, it shouldn't bother fans.

I would do the exact same thing...

Obviously, football isn't the services, but a similar mentality is needed as far as working as one unit. A guy who doesn't want to do combine stuff is one thing, but a guy who refuses to play with his teammates in the postseason is revolting. He simply can't be counted on to be a good teammate i.m.o.
I don't have a problem with guys being individuals, but they must also make some sacrifices for the team. I guarantee you that when salaries were small, this wouldn't happen. I don't begrudge guys their market values at all. I am just sad about what it has done to the sport.

If I had been one of his Stanford teammates, I would have understood him sitting out, and encouraged him to, especially considering they were not in the playoffs.

@spacecrime,
Regular 9-5ers aren't in the same position.
That's why I used military in my comparison, working as a unit,success depends on it.
I agree that when they are in a game or in a battle, teamwork is important. But if one team member doesn't make a game or a mission, the next man takes his place. Games and missions don't fail to happen. That's how a team is greater than the individual. An individual can depart and the team goes on. Soldiers go on leave for any number of reasons, even before big missions, and life goes on.

But this isn't about the game or the team, it's a business decision to protect his future earnings.

I agree that when they are in a game or in a battle, teamwork is important. But if one team member doesn't make a game or a mission, the next man takes his place. Games and missions don't fail to happen. That's how a team is greater than the individual. An individual can depart and the team goes on. Soldiers go on leave for any number of reasons, even before big missions, and life goes on.

But this isn't about the game or the team, it's a business decision to protect his future earnings.

I understand his motivation completely and I can't say I wouldn't do the same. But if I did I think I'd feel selfish & shamed of myself choosing me over my team. :shrug:

Cheers

I understand his motivation completely and I can't say I wouldn't do the same. But if I did I think I'd feel selfish & shamed of myself choosing me over my team. :shrug:

Cheers

Once you're under contract with certain guarantees in place, I would be all for the team.

If I had been one of his Stanford teammates, I would have understood him sitting out, and encouraged him to, especially considering they were not in the playoffs.

That's exactly what they did. Even the coaching staff.

You make compelling and convincing points for sure. This decision of his hits me in my atavistic side more than my intellectual side though.

To all of those who are fine with this (IOW, everyone but me):
how do you feel about a guy dogging it while he's in a contract year so he won't get hurt and preserve himself for FA? Is this just a matter of professional vs. soon to be pro to you? Or something else?

Back