College football 2023 thread

Thanks Dave, I do like him but not ready to advocate pulling the trigger yet, if he declares.
He does have a scarecrow body and should we draft him, I would like him to sit the first year and put muscle on those bones.
He's sturdier than he looks, I had the same concern before he enrolled, but he bulked up pretty well. Ideally he'd come back to Michigan and put some more on film to enhance his draft grade. Selfishly, if he declares, I live in a fantasy land where the Pats draft MH2 and then get JJ late round 1 or round 2.

I'm cool with that, so long as they're vacating OSU, Bama, and everyone else for doing the same thing (there are receipts from Clemson, Oklahoma, OSU, and others sending people to attend games to do in-person scouting). And OSU probably gets the death penalty for the Catapult scandal when that comes out. Which, really, is worse than anything I've seen in sports. I am not concerned with what the others are accused of. The precedent for what should happen to MU is what happened to Kansas recently. Although there may be a tiny delta between the sheer number of different infractions at MU vs KU and the way KU handled the cheating accusations vs how MU handled it. Why the school in A2 thought they could intimidate the both the conference and the NCAA is lost on most watchers.

Not to mention by the letter of the law, the advance scouting rule being broken by schools within the conference acting as agents for one another and sharing Michigan's signals: Again this isn't about everyone else.

Also, of note, the NCAA can't vacate the natty because the CFP is an independent entity outside of NCAA jurisdiction. If anything, Cryin' Ryan Day did us a solid by trying to derail the team by leaking this mid-season, because it got Stalions removed and allowed us to kick the hell out of the gauntlet of top ten teams we had to play with no taint from any allegations. Had he waited and this broke now, it would've been viewed differently. The NCAA can and will tell MU what they can claim and display. Also: What If NCAA And/Or CFP Vacates Michigan Wins And Takes Away National Title It May Win Monday? | Glenn Guilbeau

I love how this played out. Right down to me sitting in the exact stadium where I got to watch Goodell shamefully present TB12 with a Super Bowl trophy after the greatest comeback ever. It's all so...poetic. Jealous. Wish I were at that SB. When this decision comes down there may be a different feel for Wolverine fans... as there already is for everyone else. The trips for away games are going to be brutal next year. I think the stink only comes off this CFP if MU wins 5 more in the next 18 years.

I have MANY friends that are MU grads and some other friends that are of the Walmart variety. The anger over the fact that this isn't going away even post win is palpable. There is a part of me that would like to see a different HC win one for them so the "joy" could be without the constant tug of the asterisk. After all, I am a lifelong Patriots fan and the "cheating scandal" that still pops up now and again pisses me off even after 6 Lombardis cleansed things.

Question for you: Will Jimmy be back? I don't think so.

I have MANY friends that are MU grads and some other friends that are of the Walmart variety. The anger over the fact that this isn't going away even post win is palpable. There is a part of me that would like to see a different HC win one for them so the "joy" could be without the constant tug of the asterisk. After all, I am a lifelong Patriots fan and the "cheating scandal" that still pops up now and again pisses me off even after 6 Lombardis cleansed things.

Question for you: Will Jimmy be back? I don't think so.

It's not going to amount to anything of significance. I have no anger at all. Jim challenges the Golden Goose (pushes for revenue sharing and player unionization) and that infuriates the big money behind college football. Salty rival fans who think there will be anything more than a little slap on the wrist don't register. It's almost identical to Spygate (though there's actually NCAA precedent for this kind of minor violation via OU.)

I'd say I'm 51/49 that Jim comes back right now, but wouldn't be surprised if he left. I don't see any of the current openings as checking the boxes for him. He's linked constantly to the Charger job and I don't think that's very good. The ownership sucks, there's little support, and while Herbert is good and could flourish under Jim, that roster is not what it's perceived as and you're competing with Mahomes. Washington could be intriguing, they may give him control, but otherwise I'm not sure.

Jim's a weird guy, so it's hard to read him. I love him and if he does leave, I wish him well (to the extent that he's not playing the Pats) but I'd prefer that he stay if only to stick it to the Pete Thamels and others trying to run him out of college ball. I don't know why you'd leave this situation now that you've got the thing rolling and will have the resources behind you in a more competitive environment (the NIL era and the forthcoming crumbling of the NCAA under player empowerment are evening the playing field away from consolidated teams like Clemson, SEC, etc. that could use booster money to buy rosters) only to go to the fickle NFL and try and rebuild a franchise in a less than idea situation. I've always thought that being a successful college coach at a top tier program is the best job there is, because you can be a God and hold that job forever. But I guess the flip side is that guys like Saban failed in the NFL whereas Jim is a top 5 all-time win percentage coach, so he's inclined to bet on himself more.

BTW, Jonathan Smith was a great hire. I was very sad to see the masturbater fuck up his golden goose, because he wasn't it.

Last play of Saban's career:

Last-play.gif

So who is a potential successor to Saban?

Jesus....this seems almost ominous...Carroll, Saban and.......Could Bill look at this and say, maybe it's time?

So who is a potential successor to Saban?
Would've been Dabo a couple of years ago, but he's proven to be a clown and unable to compete when he can't illegally pay players and refuses to adapt to the portal and NIL. None of the names mentioned that I've seen (Dan Lanning, Kalen DeBoer, James Franklin, Mike Norvell and Marcus Freeman) are really moving the needle. I'm sure with their resources they'll get a solid replacement.

Gonna be real interesting if their roster hits the portal.

Saban/Alabama is interesting. You'd think that would be one very hot job and almost any coach at any other college would jump at the upgrade. DeBoer would be interesting. how about Pete Carrol going back to college coaching?

Bruce Feldman seems to be convinced Harbaugh is leaving UM.

View: https://youtu.be/wCRYWzSU1ns?si=0NKgnBnJTW9CpMkm

Supposedly, he has had a rich, multi-year contract extension "sitting on his desk" just waiting for him to sign it for pushing 2 months.

Everything needs to line up for him to stay. The NCAA has to quash multiple of their own investigations. The B1G needs to as well. The FBI has been on campus investigating something to do with his program. A pro team (SD, anyone?) needs to not make him an offer he can't refuse.

There is a lot hanging over his head still and the college contracts typically come with morals and ethics clauses that might not be advantageous to him soon. Keep in mind, this is the HC that lied to the NCAA during a level 2 or 3 investigation turning it into a level 1 (first 3 games suspended university imposed, investigation still ongoing), this is the university administration that refused to cooperate with the NCAA and B1G, widely busted the balls of both the B1G and the NCAA and loudly threatened legal action before backing down at the very last moment (second 3 game suspension, investigation still ongoing). People in high places are pissed. I left a lot out...

So yes, he may in fact end up in A2 for the rest of his career leaving behind a record of winning games unparalleled there.

We may have to wait to see.

Back