Cracked Windshield??

Skellington

Reaction score
So I was driving behind a paving truck on the highway today...one of the long tractor trailer ones...and something hit my windshield and cracked it. It's about a 6-inch crack so it's not a small one.

There were no other vehicles or bridges around so I know whatever hit the windshield came from that truck. I was about 5-6 car lengths behind the truck when it happened.

Should I call the paving company and tell them what happened and see if they'll pay for it?

Has anyone gone through this and had it paid for by the trucking company?

Thanx in advance for the advice.

Yup. Call the company and they will pay for it. Well, they should at least. My friend had the same thing happen years ago and the trucking company took care of it for her.

Yup. Call the company and they will pay for it. Well, they should at least. My friend had the same thing happen years ago and the trucking company took care of it for her.

they just did it because she has bewbies..

So I was driving behind a paving truck on the highway today...one of the long tractor trailer ones...and something hit my windshield and cracked it. It's about a 6-inch crack so it's not a small one.

There were no other vehicles or bridges around so I know whatever hit the windshield came from that truck. I was about 5-6 car lengths behind the truck when it happened.

Should I call the paving company and tell them what happened and see if they'll pay for it?

Has anyone gone through this and had it paid for by the trucking company?

Thanx in advance for the advice.
Don't know about NH. But in MA you wouldn't bother. You'd just Dial 1 800-54GIANT and it would be done. MA "comprehensive" covers it all w/ zero deductible and regardless of fault. Though you would probably tell your insurer so they could pursue a subrogation claim if they so chose.

If you have glass breakage insurance on your vehicle, you can also call your insurer and give them the information.This might get the windshield replaced sooner as they can cover you and then go after the paving company.

Don't know about NH. But in MA you wouldn't bother. You'd just Dial 1 800-54GIANT and it would be done. MA "comprehensive" covers it all w/ zero deductible and regardless of fault. Though you would probably tell your insurer so they could pursue a subrogation claim if they so chose.

Typically NH insurers do not include it but I know that Amica offers it in NH now.

I am in NH so I wouldn't have the MA comprehensive coverage.

I may call the trucking company and then call my insurance if the paving company won't cover it without calling them.

I am in NH so I wouldn't have the MA comprehensive coverage.

I may call the trucking company and then call my insurance if the paving company won't cover it without calling them.

I would call your broker first to see if you have the coverage.

I would call your broker first to see if you have the coverage.

This. They might also properly instruct you on how to contact the paving company or simply offer to take care of it for you.

Either way you need the repair.

Same thing happened to me. A huge lugnut got kicked up and I could see it coming almost Matrix-like in slo motion until it impacted my Jeep's windshield. Sounded like a bomb went off!

Before you start with the headaches of the truck comp. or your insurance I'd make a quick call to the glass repair comp. and see if it is free. Mine was.

Unfortunately this isn't a small crack so I don't know that it would be free.

I'll take a look around, though.

As long as it gets fixed and I don't have to pay for it, that's my biggest concern.

A lot of the gravel companies here have signs on their trucks that basically say "tough shit" if you get a cracked windhshield from us "we are not responsible". I don't know if that is legally true but I hope it isn't like that in NH.

I had a "bullseye" on my Jeep windshield when I first got it. With my insurance, it is 100 dollars to have glass work done (insurance picks up the rest). Since I got my Jeep, the bullseye turned into a crack, went up my windshield on the passenger side, horizontal to the drivers side taking a dive down around the center of the windshield. And now is cracked almost to the other side out of eye sight. Said I would replace it for a few years, have yet to do so. My rear view mirror fell off a few years ago and didn't put it back on because of the crack. I will probably get it done at some point. Since I drove wheelchair vans and had to back up a few ambulances at a part time job once, I have gotten used to not using my rear view mirror.

I had a "bullseye" on my Jeep windshield when I first got it. With my insurance, it is 100 dollars to have glass work done (insurance picks up the rest). Since I got my Jeep, the bullseye turned into a crack, went up my windshield on the passenger side, horizontal to the drivers side taking a dive down around the center of the windshield. And now is cracked almost to the other side out of eye sight. Said I would replace it for a few years, have yet to do so. My rear view mirror fell off a few years ago and didn't put it back on because of the crack. I will probably get it done at some point. Since I drove wheelchair vans and had to back up a few ambulances at a part time job once, I have gotten used to not using my rear view mirror.
And you're allowed to drive it??? In MA it wouldn't pass inspection, you'd have to fix it all.

Unfortunately this isn't a small crack so I don't know that it would be free.

I'll take a look around, though.

As long as it gets fixed and I don't have to pay for it, that's my biggest concern.

pull out your policy and check to see what the deductible for "comprehensive coverage" is. It may be that that will be the most you would have to pay worst case scenario.

A lot of the gravel companies here have signs on their trucks that basically say "tough shit" if you get a cracked windhshield from us "we are not responsible". I don't know if that is legally true but I hope it isn't like that in NH.

Just becuase you say you aren't responsible, doesn't make it so. They figure if people believe it, then they don't have to pay it..

And you're allowed to drive it??? In MA it wouldn't pass inspection, you'd have to fix it all.

I think there is two Indiana counties that have vehicle inspections. They are closer to Chicago. There are so many cars here with no or just the third brake light working and many other vehicles that shouldn't be on the road. I don't ever want to live in a state that has that strict of a vehicle inspection. As long as it goes without leaking oil or any other fluids, all the lights work and you have a way to see what is behind you, there should no reason you can't drive it. If the crack was in line of sight, I might worry about it, but it isn't. I know my Jeep wouldn't pass any state inspection in places like Kalifornia or other states for one reason. If I turn my steering wheel one direction, the airbag light comes on. There is a part (clock spring) in the steering column that is going bad. It has been repaired once by the previous owner and I don't feel the need to repair it. If my airbags don't go off in a wreck, I might be able to keep my Jeep and still drive it. Blowing airbags alone will total it in a wreck.

Again, if the vehicle drives forward and backwards, stops, has brake lights, and does not leak, I have no problem with it (minus diesel truck owners who feel it is needed to make their trucks smoke like a grill).

I think there is two Indiana counties that have vehicle inspections. They are closer to Chicago. There are so many cars here with no or just the third brake light working and many other vehicles that shouldn't be on the road. I don't ever want to live in a state that has that strict of a vehicle inspection. As long as it goes without leaking oil or any other fluids, all the lights work and you have a way to see what is behind you, there should no reason you can't drive it. If the crack was in line of sight, I might worry about it, but it isn't. I know my Jeep wouldn't pass any state inspection in places like Kalifornia or other states for one reason. If I turn my steering wheel one direction, the airbag light comes on. There is a part (clock spring) in the steering column that is going bad. It has been repaired once by the previous owner and I don't feel the need to repair it. If my airbags don't go off in a wreck, I might be able to keep my Jeep and still drive it. Blowing airbags alone will total it in a wreck.

Again, if the vehicle drives forward and backwards, stops, has brake lights, and does not leak, I have no problem with it (minus diesel truck owners who feel it is needed to make their trucks smoke like a grill).

:blink:

Indy, go figure.:coffee:

Are you married? Kids? Maybe just family or even just parents?

Who gives a flyin' F about your own personal well-being. Should you be so stupid as to travel in a motor vehicle so poorly maintained is your own decision and you reap what you sow.:shrug:

My concern is the family of five coming at you the other way. What did they do to lose their lives other than time it wrong on that fateful day and be in the path of somebody so callous and ignorant of others safety?

I am not in Indy, I am an hour away. I care about safety, but not to the point that I want the government to tell me what I have to do with my vehicle. My vehicle's lights work, does not leak, I have two rear facing mirrors, the crack in my windshield is not in my view looking forward. I do care about my vehicle, and I do want to get my windshield replaced at some point, but I don't want someone telling me to do it. When I ride a motorcycle I wear a helmet, jacket, long sleeved pants and boots. I have yet to have an accident where I hurt someone other then cars (I was involved in an accident back when I got my license that involved someone who was pregnant, she was fine, but went to the hospital as a precaution). Don't tell me I don't care about safety, I just don't want some one telling me what is safe for the roads when my vehicle is.

jeep-1.jpg

Here is the most current picture of my Jeep, and yes, the windshield is cracked in this picture. Kayak was tied down with straps on both ends and on each J rack. It also had a bike lock attached to it that way if it fell off, it wouldn't go far. My brake lights, all my turn signals, back up lights and head lights work.

Motor vehicles are a privelege. Part of that privelege is to properly maintain them. If not for your own lackadaisacal view of what is important and what isn't, then for the unfortunate people traveling 30-60 mph towards you.

Personally I'd be terrified driving in parts of the country where people were just allowed to throw any hap-hazard POS on the road, provided it wasn't "leaking fluids".

Back