Deacon Jones, R.I.P.

I don't really know how much Olsen weighed, but he must have been close to 300. I know he was a lot bigger than Jones, although today Jones might have been a 3-4 OLB, like Lawrence Taylor (he was very fast).

Maybe, but they always listed him around 280 if I remember right.

You never know what the Deacon might have been like today, maybe OLB, but it wasn't like anybody was rolling him backwards on running plays. He was very strong.

Hard to imagine him on a weight training program or any of that.

Maybe, but they always listed him around 280 if I remember right.

You never know what the Deacon might have been like today, maybe OLB, but it wasn't like anybody was rolling him backwards on running plays. He was very strong.

Hard to imagine him on a weight training program or any of that.

That's a good point. They didn't do all the weight lifting (and stuff) back then, that they do now.

Deacon Jones raps a tune about his playing days.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FeurH6Oi7Vc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By the way vis a vis the earlier discussion of the weights of the fearsome foursome, NFLN replayed their special on those guys and they each recited their heights and weights. The heavyweight was Lundy at 285. And Jennifer Allen was part of this piece also and yes one son is Roman, and because she said Deacon was mad she named the first boy Roman, she named her second Deacon. Can't remember the name of her third boy, but his middle name is Lamar I think, for Lundy.

Deacon Jones, maybe the greatest pass rusher of all-time, used to have a little help in defeating blockers, according to one who knew him well. Former Bears offensive lineman Bob Wetoska recently recalled how Jones’ trademark head slap was especially hurtful. “He’d wrap his forearm with a couple of tin cans he’d cut in half,” Wetoska said. “His first move was to the side of your head. When you moved offside, he’d give a vicious forearm to the side of your head. If you ever moved offside in those days, they would go right for your head. You couldn’t do anything about it. And the helmets in those days weren’t that great. We never had suspension helmets, just the foam helmets.” Jones passed away last week, leaving many -- except perhaps blockers like Wetoska -- with fond recollections.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Back