Deflategate Full Circle

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
After reading several articles about the catbird seat Bill is in with a bonanza of QBs to either keep or deal it is hard not to see how the Patriots took one of the worst punishments in the NFL for a made up violation and will come out on top and then some.

Given how starved the NFL is for QBs, Bill can easily turn Jimmy into a 1 and a 4 or maybe more for a desperate team (i.e. Browns, Redskins, 49ers). Or we can keep Jimmy as the heir apparent and continue to contend and dominate the league. None of this of course would have happened if the league did not suspend Brady as we would have never saw Jimmy or Jacoby for that matter play. I do wonder if the GMs are thinking now that they should have dropped the Brady suspension after Berman as then the loss of the 1 and 4 would have not been recouped by the Pats nor would the team know the type of QB it has in Jimmy to potentially take over the helm after Brady.

Of course on top, Bill has won 3 games, soon to be 4 so the intent of the suspension to hurt the Pats early in the season has also backfired.

Lastly and most deliciously, Bill is the front runner for coach of the year. I mean that has me in tears from amusement given how much the league hates him and the penalties were designed to hurt him the most. Now he is the Super GOAT HC. lol.

Karma really is a you know what. :toast:

BB certainly turned lemons into lemonade but there's no way the NFL or Goodell could have dropped deflategate after the Berman ruling. It wasn't about deflated balls anymore if it ever actually was. It became clear that Goodell's authority to mete out punishment according to the CBA was the issue and Goodell won the battle to keep his power over process. I still have hope TB12 will file a defamation suit if only to get all the NFL's shenanigans out in the open and to make Goodell look like a bigger putz than he already does.

BB does appear to be on a revenge tour with the job he's done this year. Let's hope TB12 joins him on the tour for another run at 19-0. That would truly be historic. The Lombardi-Belichick Trophy has a nice ring to it.

Now he is the Super GOAT HC. lol.

Nopt sure if it was Irvin, but somebody else said this, ie if Bill wins over Houston he'd be the super goat. And you and I agree.

Cheers

Sanctions meant to punish the Patriots have:

1. Rejuvenated a coaching staff that didn't really need rejuvenating. Having to game-plan with Jimmy and Brissett seems like it's almost been "fun" for these guys (lots of work, but fun nonetheless).

2. Jacked up the value of BOTH Jimmy and Jacoby. I mean who knows what they'll do, who will be traded, who will stay, etc-etc. But it's nice to have multiple options at the game's most important spot.

3. Saved Brady 1/4th of a season's worth of hits, with the team going either 3-1 or 4-0 without him.

4. Provided a lot of motivation for Brady, as if that was necessary...

The loss of draft picks (for this and Spygate) still stings a little. If you look at the guys drafted after the stripped Pats' pick in '08, it's tantalizing to think of some of those names being longtime Patriots (Brandon Flowers, Jordy Nelson, Matt Forte, Calais Campbell, Jamaal Charles, etc-etc).

It's sort of meaningless to speculate, but it's fun.

The loss of draft picks (for this and Spygate) still stings a little. If you look at the guys drafted after the stripped Pats' pick in '08, it's tantalizing to think of some of those names being longtime Patriots (Brandon Flowers, Jordy Nelson, Matt Forte, Calais Campbell, Jamaal Charles, etc-etc).

It's sort of meaningless to speculate, but it's fun.

I find it easier to assume that the players taken in those lost spots would have been 5' 9" corners who would have been nice special teamers before getting moved to free safety and eventually cut. Takes the sting out.

I find it easier to assume that the players taken in those lost spots would have been 5' 9" corners who would have been nice special teamers before getting moved to free safety and eventually cut. Takes the sting out.

Or another smurf wr.

LOL... or traded away for multiple 6th-rounders.

I'm keeping an eye on Vernon Butler.

I suspect if the pick weren't pilfered we'd have grabbed him there.

Let's recap the "players" behind DG:

Clots- Zo & Beetle had a PHENOMENAL stat today. Since the DG game the Clots have spent a grand total of 17 calendar days above .500. Good thing they've trained that gag reflex. Kharmas got a big salty one. Suck it.

Ravens-currently 3-1, but as usual, whining like a byatch about rules that have been around since footballs inception. Pathetic. Look for Pitt to pull away with this division.

Jests- league office in turmoil with the Pats success despite the heavy hand to help the inept favored sons. Season over before they've even played the Pats once. So so bad.

Texans- we broke them at a DNA level I think. History. Couldn't take the reigns in such a pathetic division even with the deck stacked in your favor. I fart in your general direction Houston.

After reading several articles about the catbird seat Bill is in with a bonanza of QBs to either keep or deal it is hard not to see how the Patriots took one of the worst punishments in the NFL for a made up violation and will come out on top and then some.

Given how starved the NFL is for QBs, Bill can easily turn Jimmy into a 1 and a 4 or maybe more for a desperate team (i.e. Browns, Redskins, 49ers). Or we can keep Jimmy as the heir apparent and continue to contend and dominate the league. None of this of course would have happened if the league did not suspend Brady as we would have never saw Jimmy or Jacoby for that matter play. I do wonder if the GMs are thinking now that they should have dropped the Brady suspension after Berman as then the loss of the 1 and 4 would have not been recouped by the Pats nor would the team know the type of QB it has in Jimmy to potentially take over the helm after Brady.

Of course on top, Bill has won 3 games, soon to be 4 so the intent of the suspension to hurt the Pats early in the season has also backfired.

Lastly and most deliciously, Bill is the front runner for coach of the year. I mean that has me in tears from amusement given how much the league hates him and the penalties were designed to hurt him the most. Now he is the Super GOAT HC. lol.

Karma really is a you know what. :toast:

I'm not trying to pick on you, because the value you put on Jimmy is roughly what I've been seeing if not a little more due to the 4th, but I just don't understand why people are seeing it that way.

Jared Goff cost the Rams two firsts, two seconds and a third. Carson Wentz cost Philly two firsts along with a second, a third and they bascially swapped fourths.

Sam Bradford cost the Vikings a first and a fourth and he was considered a bust prior to that deal.

So.......what's the difference? Why wouldn't Jimmy be worth something in line with what the Rams and Eagles paid?

The kid has it all, is 24 years old and had a couple of seasons of polish on the bench before performing extremely well in the 6 quarters he has played.

I just don't get it. One could make the argument that NOBODY is worth what the two unproven rookies cost, but, since that's what the market is like, Jimmy should be worth MORE, if anything since he will have actually done something in the league which is more than I can say for Jared Goff or Carson Wentz at the time they were acquired.

I don't want to move Jimmy, but it doesn't hurt to chum the waters by giving him some meaningful minutes or at least some cameos in games that have been decided as we saw in Cleveland.

Obviously, I believe that his value is far more than what I've been hearing and that there will be teams lavishing picks on the Pats to deal him.

He gives people an instant franchise QB. That almost never happens.

Plus, DG has energised the entire fanbase. They're even more loyal and fanatic now to the point when they're now being discussed as the most loyal, valuable fanbase in the NFL.

I would much prefer to see Jimmy G stay in NE even though TB12 still has a good 2-4 seasons left in him, NE still needs to plan for his exit. It's a tough decision to make that's for sure.

I'm not trying to pick on you, because the value you put on Jimmy is roughly what I've been seeing if not a little more due to the 4th, but I just don't understand why people are seeing it that way.

Jared Goff cost the Rams two firsts, two seconds and a third. Carson Wentz cost Philly two firsts along with a second, a third and they bascially swapped fourths.

Sam Bradford cost the Vikings a first and a fourth and he was considered a bust prior to that deal.

So.......what's the difference? Why wouldn't Jimmy be worth something in line with what the Rams and Eagles paid?

The kid has it all, is 24 years old and had a couple of seasons of polish on the bench before performing extremely well in the 6 quarters he has played.

I just don't get it. One could make the argument that NOBODY is worth what the two unproven rookies cost, but, since that's what the market is like, Jimmy should be worth MORE, if anything since he will have actually done something in the league which is more than I can say for Jared Goff or Carson Wentz at the time they were acquired.

I don't want to move Jimmy, but it doesn't hurt to chum the waters by giving him some meaningful minutes or at least some cameos in games that have been decided as we saw in Cleveland.

Obviously, I believe that his value is far more than what I've been hearing and that there will be teams lavishing picks on the Pats to deal him.

Couldn't agree more Hawg.

I'm dumbfounded at the value placed on a QB much closer to a Franchise QB than some kid coming out of North fvcking Dakota.

North Dakota St. Wentz is beasting. :coffee:

And Jimmy had better numbers during his chance.

He's been developed under the best.

He's shown the tip of the iceberg what he's capable of. Not some hopeful coming out of college that routinely bust.

And as pointed out, look what was given for the chance to select those question marks.

And Jimmy had better numbers during his chance.

He's been developed under the best.

He's shown the tip of the iceberg what he's capable of. Not some hopeful coming out of college that routinely bust.

And as pointed out, look what was given for the chance to select those question marks.

Certainly Wentz has performed very well so far and level of competition was the big knock on him as it was with Jimmy coming out of E. Illinois. In addition, he played at a school that is the only game in town and the program and it's star QB were put on a pedestal to the point where you had to wonder what would happen if and when he failed in front of the Philly "faithful" and got blasted, which will likely happen at some point. As I've said before Jimmy played in front of wives and girlfriends for a school that is not exactly a football factory.

Wentz is bigger than Jimmy, but in terms of draft status I'm not really sure what attributes made one of them the overall 2 and the other the 62nd. All I can come up with is height and frame, but draft slot should be a minor factor when all is weighed.

Will some teams have concerns that Jimmy might not be able to take a pounding? That is possible since he got hurt in his second game on a fairly routine sack, but it could be written off as simply shit luck.

Bottom line is if we are going to move Jimmy and go with Tom for as long as he can be GOAT-like then the Pats are going to be looking for a hell of a lot more than a first and a fourth or we might as well as well hang on to him for insurance if Brady gets hurt and take our chances.

We'd never trade him to the Jets, but they've been looking for a QB for 40 years. You think they wouldn't part with a shitload of picks to end that drought if they could and try to get over on the Pats in the process?

The next Drew Brees. That is what some team is going to see in Jimmy and they'll be quite generous to get him in their uniform.

It's going to be very interesting and we are in control of the process.

I do agree that Jimmy should garner more than the 1 and 4 than I originally thought and said as much in the Pats 2016 thread but I do think it is faulty thinking to believe Jimmy will garner more than a top draft pick would in the draft like a Wentz or Goff and here is why.

Trades for top draft picks are based on the value placed on said pick. A number one pick overall is worth the most obviously because it has the most value on the board. Hence why Wentz and Goff garnered so many picks. It costs draft currency to move up in the draft.

Once a player is in the league they never garner the same number of picks because you are no longer in the draft currency system of value. If you take Matt Cassell and Matt Schaub - both played very well as back ups for their respective teams. Cassell was traded for a 2 to the Chiefs and Schaub was traded to the Falcons for a swap of first round picks and two 2's.

I think with Jimmy we have a really tiny sample compared to those guys so I really don't know what his value could be. What is different now than it was back then is the absolute dearth at the QB position across the league.

As I mentioned in my other post on the other thread, Michael Lombardi said this week on the "Undisputed" show that he believes Jimmy will garner two number ones and more because he is on his rookie deal through next year which means Bill does not have to franchise him this year thereby avoiding setting a tender. So Bill can basically just let the offers roll in and see if he likes one a lot. This is the prime catbird seat for Bill who as we know is the best GM in the game.

All and all, I really do hope we fleece some team. It only takes one team and there are a lot of dumb teams in the NFL. :toast:

Back