Derailed Brown non game thread

He still has all the positives he brought to the table last year. Their arm strength is pretty comparable, maybe a slight edge to Zappe. Beyond that...
Processing speed: Mac
Decision making: Mac
Read defenses: Mac
Physical attributes: Mac
Mobility: Mac
Quick release: Mac
Accuracy & ball placement (for ball security, protecting the receivers, and setting up for YAC): Mac
Production in compressed area: Mac

The only thing I think that Mac seems to have regressed a bit is poise/confidence/demeanor, which makes some sense with Josh leaving and some chaos sorting through the OC decision making.
I disagree on the bolded. They are even or edge to Zappe.

I disagree on the bolded. They are even or edge to Zappe.
Based on what? The single-read, simplified offense we've seen Zappe run? The stellar red-zone production we saw from Zappe? The placement on the passes that prevented YAC by being overly conservative? For the first two I'd say at best we haven't seen anything to indicate that he's equal or better than Mac. For the last two there's pretty decent early evidence that Mac is better.

I'm not talking about vs expectations or vs level of experience, I'm talking about a direct comparison today.

Last edited:
Cleveland has the best tandem of Guards in the league, but I noticed they use Hjalte Froholdt as a fullback in some packages and he can lay the lumber. Will Kevin Stefanski decide to get cute and
pull a Dan Klecko on us? Just a thought.

I never understood why we gave up on Froholdt so soon. I figured he must be a screw-up off the field or something like that, because I thought he showed real promise.
True dedication,,,

Based on what? The single-read, simplified offense we've seen Zappe run? The stellar red-zone production we saw from Zappe? The placement on the passes that prevented YAC by being overly conservative? For the first two I'd say at best we haven't seen anything to indicate that he's equal or better than Mac. For the last two there's pretty decent early evidence that Mac is better.

I'm not talking about vs expectations or vs level of experience, I'm talking about a direct comparison today.
Maybe we watched different games. Zappe in his 2 games has looked better than Mac in the bolded areas I indicated. Short sample size for sure but he may get game 3 Sunday.

Maybe we watched different games. Zappe in his 2 games has looked better than Mac in the bolded areas I indicated. Short sample size for sure but he may get game 3 Sunday.
Who knows what you really believe?

You only post whatever you think is the most negative at the time.

Simple.

Zappe is getting a very vanilla and simplified version of the playbook whereas Mac has the full playbook at his disposal. Even as a rookie Mac didn't get much of the simplified version. If we recall, he beat out a veteran because he was able to absorb the playbook better.

Zappe has impressed in that he's done well with what has been asked of him, but to say that he's better than Mac Jones when Mac has a way evolved version of the same playbook sounds shortsighted.

Is it a bad thing that If want to see how Zappe performs one more time? I know Mac is the man, but I would love to see our new toy play some more. Besides it may help trade stock. 🙂

Last edited:
I don't think that will even be close to an apples to apples comparison. Zappe played the worst defense in the NFL, and with a bunch of backups. And Cleveland isn't exactly great shakes, nor is Chicago. Compared to Miami/Balt/Pitt, it's a different world.
Other than putting the Steelers (1-4 and lucky to have won even 1) in the different world from the Browns and Chicago, I understand what you're saying, but this is Fan Think, comparing how the teams ended up, like winning/losing, TDs vs INTs, etc etc, all the things we fans agonize over, or at least care about.

What coaches look at is how players did in the situation in which they were put. Did they make the right reads, right decisions. For us fans, throwing 5 pics in a game is horrible, but coaches look at things like, did the QB make the right decision, throw the ball to the right spot on the field.

I think they will learn a LOT from watching both QBs play 3 games apiece.

That said, I don't thnk there's a chance in hell that they go with Zappe. Just as soon as Mac can play, he will. And that said, I believe Jones and Zappe are both competing for the same job, and BB & Co will watch both closely.

Last edited:
Is it a bad thing that If want to see how Zappe performs one more time? I know Mac is the man, but I would love to see our new toy play some more. Besides it may help trade stock. 🙂
No, I'm with you 100%. I don't want Mac to start unless he's fully ready and/or needed.

Back