Derailed Brown non game thread

Zappe is getting a very vanilla and simplified version of the playbook whereas Mac has the full playbook at his disposal. Even as a rookie Mac didn't get much of the simplified version. If we recall, he beat out a veteran because he was able to absorb the playbook better.

Zappe has impressed in that he's done well with what has been asked of him, but to say that he's better than Mac Jones when Mac has a way evolved version of the same playbook sounds shortsighted.
Can't argue about that.

So long as each is ok with the order they are set in in each game.
Something tells me Zappe will be fine with giving the job back to Mac, he's a rookie with zero leverage and still a lot to prove, he'll be a lot more understanding. If BB benches Mac that decision will be permanent, so he better be f'ing sure if he goes that route. I don't see Mac recovering from that, whether it be from shattered confidence or animosity towards BB, he should just be traded at that point. Let's not be the Jets of the past 20 years and ruin promising QBs.

Zappe is getting a very vanilla and simplified version of the playbook whereas Mac has the full playbook at his disposal. Even as a rookie Mac didn't get much of the simplified version. If we recall, he beat out a veteran because he was able to absorb the playbook better.

Zappe has impressed in that he's done well with what has been asked of him, but to say that he's better than Mac Jones when Mac has a way evolved version of the same playbook sounds shortsighted.
I didn’t say he was better than Mac I just highlighted some of the categories that Flagg had put Mac ahead of him on. He’s only played in two games but what he has shown is an awful lot of poise and great pocket awareness and the ability set the line protection. The type of offense he is asked to run even if it is not the entire playbook yet, he has done a great job with it in a way that Mac has not shown this season. I pretty much agree with everyone else that once Mac is healthy he most likely is going to be the starter unless Zappe gets another couple of games to play and really impresses and leaves Bill with a big decision to make à la 2001 …

Well, yes. But he didn't do much of anything in that game except not crash the car. He did better than I would have expected given the lack of prep time & snaps, etc. But if I had to guess I'd guess that Hoyer wins that game if not knocked out early. Zappe showed me more than I would have expected both weeks, but a long way from delivering on what Mac can bring to the table.

Mac is doing fine. He's pushing more this year, which is good, and the game has to re-slow down for him. Some of the INTs don't fall on him, though there are at least 2-3 that should have been INTs but weren't. You know when you stopped always checking your blind spot because you were subconsciously counting cars when you flicked your eyes to your rearview and side mirrors? Remember the first time you were wrong and terrified to find the car in your blind spot that you'd missed? That's kind of like what he's going through right now. He needs to "count cars" for those underneath LBs subconsciously, knowing that they're there (or are about to be there) even when his sightlines are blocked. If he's reading cover 3, there's a CB dropping into the deep third (or a S sliding over) to take the deep sideline away, even if he doesn't seem to be in that position right now.

...and he needs to keep building up the arm to shave that 1/8 to 1/4 second off the time that the ball is in the air.

Mac Jones is the #1 QB and it isn’t close.
If anything Mac’s regression has been crappy offensive coaching not only this year but going back to last year.
Mac is an elite short precision passer who can put up 80% completion games with extremely high efficiency and great vision (Brees-like).
But going back to last year sh-tty assistants were criticizing his YPC were too short so wrongly pushed him to look past his short reads for crappy low percentage deep ball throws.

Mac can be salvaged if he goes back to being an elite short precision passer. Don’t hold the ball too long. Don’t look for the crappy deep ball where his WR (Parker) doesn’t fight for the ball. Redirect most passing targets back to Meyers, Bourne, Henry. Stop passing it to Parker who doesn’t even know the audibles or playbook

Something tells me Zappe will be fine with giving the job back to Mac, he's a rookie with zero leverage and still a lot to prove, he'll be a lot more understanding. If BB benches Mac that decision will be permanent, so he better be f'ing sure if he goes that route. I don't see Mac recovering from that, whether it be from shattered confidence or animosity towards BB, he should just be traded at that point. Let's not be the Jets of the past 20 years and ruin promising QBs.

I like Zappe and BB is smart in protecting this kid and making him look good by minimizing what he has to do. If Zappe plays his cards right with mistake-free football, he’ll have a winning record as a backup and parlay this into a JimmyG-like future and nice contract on some other team

Mac can be salvaged if he goes back to being an elite short precision passer. Don’t hold the ball too long. Don’t look for the crappy deep ball where his WR (Parker) doesn’t fight for the ball. Redirect most passing targets back to Meyers, Bourne, Henry. Stop passing it to Parker who doesn’t even know the audibles or playbook
IMO, that won't get it done in today's league hence why Bill changed the offense and added Parker and Agahlor last year. The offense has to be more dynamic just to compete with the teams in the East division much less the rest of the conference ...

Well, I'm still behind Mac once he comes back. We will see than where we go as a team and with who

It will be Mac and the offense they were running with him will be the same. Maybe Zappe's play could influence the play calling a bit. I would be happy to have Mac back at a 75%/25% Mac playbook mix with Zappe playbook. Does that make sense outside of my own head?

It will be Mac and the offense they were running with him will be the same. Maybe Zappe's play could influence the play calling a bit. I would be happy to have Mac back at a 75%/25% Mac playbook mix with Zappe playbook. Does that make sense outside of my own head?
I absolutely agree Mac will be back and yes that makes sense. I've seen Mac his entire college career and one full NFL season. Zappe not even two full games.

I didn’t say he was better than Mac I just highlighted some of the categories that Flagg had put Mac ahead of him on. He’s only played in two games but what he has shown is an awful lot of poise and great pocket awareness and the ability set the line protection. The type of offense he is asked to run even if it is not the entire playbook yet, he has done a great job with it in a way that Mac has not shown this season. I pretty much agree with everyone else that once Mac is healthy he most likely is going to be the starter unless Zappe gets another couple of games to play and really impresses and leaves Bill with a big decision to make à la 2001 …
36 passes.

Don’t look for the crappy deep ball where his WR (Parker) doesn’t fight for the ball. Stop passing it to Parker who doesn’t even know the audibles or playbook
That's not really fair if the coaches actually want him to pass to Parker in those situations, which Mac insinuated once already. I don't think he's at the point in his career where he can phase out receivers like Brady did.

What? I never saw him set protection. The line worked they’re butts off. He was given pretty much 1 play the line was either in pass protection or run protection based on the call ..... I would be pissed if they let him call the play and set protection in his second game ... and there was no evidence he did. Now he did step up in the pocket and he was poised and wasn’t intimidated or overwhelmed but I didn’t think he would be.

~Dee~

That's not really fair if the coaches actually want him to pass to Parker in those situations, which Mac insinuated once already. I don't think he's at the point in his career where he can phase out receivers like Brady did.

I guess we’re in agreement that Mac is being asked to force deep passes to a dummy WR, Parker, who doesn’t know the playbook or audibles and doesn’t fight for the ball.

I don't think that will even be close to an apples to apples comparison. Zappe played the worst defense in the NFL, and with a bunch of backups. And Cleveland isn't exactly great shakes, nor is Chicago. Compared to Miami/Balt/Pitt, it's a different world.

And Zappe is running what is essentially a different offense. The structure is the same, but what he's asked to do is different, and it's as stripped down as it can be. I highly doubt they'll be at the same level 2 weeks from now.

A 2022 Zappe offense has a ceiling of a B-. A Mac offense has a ceiling of an A-. And the floors are different, too. They might be the same level, but how they look earning that D+ or C- will be very different.
Mac has lost some of his luster since last year...he isn't the same QB as he once was.

If Mac wants to be the starter, he needs to start playing better. Bottom line.

Zap/E is doing everything that he can to TB12ing Jones.

I guess we’re in agreement that Mac is being asked to force deep passes to a dummy WR, Parker, who doesn’t know the playbook or audibles and doesn’t fight for the ball.
He's always been one to disappear every other game but I never thought he'd disappear this much, and he's averaging more snaps than everyone else, 97% or more 3 times now. Just by law of averages he should have like 30 targets but he has 16 with 10 coming in one game. That is downright pathetic. Maybe he'll figure it out but I'm less than hopeful, I'd rather see Bourne take more of his snaps.

Back