Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Don't care, someone else's problem.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Still wish the Pats picked him.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

37Harrison

Reaction score
So I'm sure most of you have heard about Dez Bryant refusing to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads after practice by now so I ask, do you think this is a non-issue or is this a glimpse into Bryants' character concerns?

I for one think that all rookies need to do what the veteran's or coaches tell them to do, whether that be to carry their pads or pay for dinners. Bryant's argument is that he is there to play football and not carry anyone's pads.

I also think it shows the type of person he is, already a prima donna in a league where he has done nothing. Teams voiced their concerns over his character and now I am feeling better about the Pats not taking this guy.

<<
I also think it shows the type of person he is, already a prima donna in a league where he has done nothing
>>

Disagree. He was the first 1st rounder to sign undoubtedly against the advice of his agent who has had something like 17 of the previous 18 first rounders he worked with hold out.

Bryant has since reporting been the first player on the field and the last one to leave. He's there to work, he's already working very hard, he's not there to play immature games. What is this high school or a professional team after all ? The hazing crap is a joke and I applaud him for telling Williams to fu*k off.

<<
I also think it shows the type of person he is, already a prima donna in a league where he has done nothing
>>

Disagree. He was the first 1st rounder to sign undoubtedly against the advice of his agent who has had something like 17 of the previous 18 first rounders he worked with hold out.

Bryant has since reporting been the first player on the field and the last one to leave. He's there to work, he's already working very hard, he's not there to play immature games. What is this high school or a professional team after all ? The hazing crap is a joke and I applaud him for telling Williams to fu*k off.

Good point and I agree somewhat but I also feel that all rookies should participate in this as it is a time honored ritual. I guess my military background plays into my feelings about this and how I view Bryant.

Good point and I agree somewhat but I also feel that all rookies should participate in this as it is a time honored ritual. I guess my military background plays into my feelings about this and how I view Bryant.

Although I agree that rookie hazing is stupid and sophomoric its part of the tradition of the NFL. When you start a new job regardless of where you graduate from you do the shit work until you pay your dues and work your way up the ladder. The kid is a primadonna make no mistake about that.

Although I agree that rookie hazing is stupid and sophomoric its part of the tradition of the NFL. When you start a new job regardless of where you graduate from you do the shit work until you pay your dues and work your way up the ladder. The kid is a primadonna make no mistake about that.

My thoughts exactly! :toast:

<<
>>

You actually aren't disagreeing. Everything you say is true: Bryant is a hard worker, he signed early, he is a professional. Williams is strong enough to carry his own pads. To those who haven't gone through paying dues to become part of an eleite team, the methods seem harsh, stupid, immature and sometimes brutal.

But that does not take away from the fact that he is a prima donna. He sets himself apart from the others. He doesn't feel he needs to do what every other one is his field has always done. Whether you agree with carrying pads or not, setting yourself above what your peers do is being a prima donna.

Just as the Marine Corps, NAVY SEALS, Special Forces, etc etc will beat you down to build you up into someone who fits into the team, so does the NFL. Some of the stunts are stupid, at least to those who haven't gone through it, but they are part of the ritual. It sets you apart from the team. Shockey refused to do something, also, IIRC.

Is Bryant such a valued WR that he does not need any help or mentoring from the current WR corps?

Or is he saying, "I will not do what you expect me to do to be a part of your group, but I fully expect you to do your part and help me even if it costs you your job."

That is what is going on, IMO.

If the Cowboys WRs have any cajones (which is questionable), they will simplly say, "Fine, Dez. You don't need us. We are okay with that. We'll leave you alone and you leave us be," and simply leave him on his own. He doesn't want their comraderie. He shokuldn't get it.

Bryant will soon get the idea that NFL team building is more than being a good college athlete.

<<
Is Bryant such a valued WR that he does not need any help or mentoring from the current WR corps?
>>

Not from Roy Williams who has been a huge bust most of his career. Though there are others he could certainly use advice from.

I know it's tradition and as a veteran, I would totally be in charge of hazing rituals.

That being said, I'm a hypocrite because if I had the clout as a rookie, I'd probably do the same thing Dez Bryant did.

But Dez Bryant can't be the first to take this stance. And it doesn't mean he's a prima donna. For that to be true, he'd have to believe that while he shouldn't have to, the other rookies should. He may simply believe NO rookie should have to do this.

Who's wrong in this situation? I dunno.

I didn't come here to answer polls.

I came here to discuss Patriots related issues.

haha
I'll bet you anything that this possible prima donna will be carrying the veteran's pads, so all of America can see the photo.

Hazing is stupid I agree but I have to ask is carrying pads that difficlut?

carry the stupid pads Dez how heavy are they? I can not wait for his haircut

you haven't done anything in this league yet (of course williams isn't exactly the second coming either) so pay the price, the more you refuse the worse I hope it gets

I remember when a certain #12 carried a certain #11's pads his rookie year.....now that #11 is a dim memory and that #12 is headed to Canton as a 1st ballot HOF'er. Dez needs to be less about "me" and more about "we".

Hazing isn't stupid. It's an important part of the process of a team coming together. HS, college, NFL, whatever, these stupid little initiations are taken seriously by the guys during camp. To bitch out like that is ridiculous.

I remember ours at UM wasn't carrying pads or anything, it was singing. We stayed at the Four Points in Ann Arbor for the 2+ weeks of two-a-days and had all meals in the big dining room. All freshmen were on notice. At any time, they could get called by the vets to have to sing. And then it was on. Get on a chair, all eyes on you, and go for it. If they liked it, you'd be cash money. If they didn't, you were booted from the meal and at the next meal, before you could eat, you had to redeem yourself. Basically, you didn't eat until you satisfied this requirement. There were 2 real choices- sing country and get the OL into it, or sing rap and get the rest of the guys into it. When they started to sing along, you were golden. No one was immune. I remember my turn, Baby Got Back earned me eating privileges. (Especially hilarious- the football cafeteria for training table was in South Quad, down the hall from the dorm cafeteria. A favorite hobby during welcome week was to lure unsuspecting freshmen into the forbidden cafeteria and then watch their eyes got big as they saw steak, lobster...and then get pounced on by Dhani screaming at them to sing as they realized that they were in the football cafeteria. Never failed. Scared the shit out of them.)

No one is above the team. Especially not Dez Bryant. The guys who try and avoid this sort of thing just bring worse things upon themselves.

I'm not voting since I don't like any of the options. But Bryant was the first #1 pick to sign and the first player to report to training camp. That says a lot. Who cares about the hazing crap? I care that he's mature enough to get his but in to camp on time and start competing.

I'm not voting since I don't like any of the options. But Bryant was the first #1 pick to sign and the first player to report to training camp. That says a lot. Who cares about the hazing crap? I care that he's mature enough to get his but in to camp on time and start competing.

The team does. Say you take a new job, and you're told that during their first week, everyone brought donuts for the team on Friday. Come Friday, you don't bring anything and say "I'm here to do my job, not bring people donuts." Your co-workers would rightfully think you're an assgiraffe for that move. Football is more team-oriented than the normal workplace, and Bryant's act is putting him above everyone else.

Hazing isn't stupid. It's an important part of the process of a team coming together. HS, college, NFL, whatever, these stupid little initiations are taken seriously by the guys during camp. To bitch out like that is ridiculous.

I remember ours at UM wasn't carrying pads or anything, it was singing. We stayed at the Four Points in Ann Arbor for the 2+ weeks of two-a-days and had all meals in the big dining room. All freshmen were on notice. At any time, they could get called by the vets to have to sing. And then it was on. Get on a chair, all eyes on you, and go for it. If they liked it, you'd be cash money. If they didn't, you were booted from the meal and at the next meal, before you could eat, you had to redeem yourself. Basically, you didn't eat until you satisfied this requirement. There were 2 real choices- sing country and get the OL into it, or sing rap and get the rest of the guys into it. When they started to sing along, you were golden. No one was immune. I remember my turn, Baby Got Back earned me eating privileges. (Especially hilarious- the football cafeteria for training table was in South Quad, down the hall from the dorm cafeteria. A favorite hobby during welcome week was to lure unsuspecting freshmen into the forbidden cafeteria and then watch their eyes got big as they saw steak, lobster...and then get pounced on by Dhani screaming at them to sing as they realized that they were in the football cafeteria. Never failed. Scared the shit out of them.)

No one is above the team. Especially not Dez Bryant. The guys who try and avoid this sort of thing just bring worse things upon themselves.
while I agree it is important, I can think it is stupid, but hazing does lend to the building of a team, the asshats get put on notice to fit in or repeat the process over and over again until you learn you are not bigger than the team.

that is why i voted him a primma donna

while I agree it is important, I can think it is stupid, but hazing does lend to the building of a team, the asshats get put on notice to fit in or repeat the process over and over again until you learn you are not bigger than the team.

that is why i voted him a primma donna

It's definitely stupid. But camp and two-a-days suck, a lot. It gives the guys something to look forward to and lightens the mood. Man, there was nothing worse than those first few days when you got the calendar planning out how much the next 3 weeks would suck, and there seemed like no end in sight. Childish pranks kept things going.

By the end of the season, Roy Williams will be carrying Dez Bryant's luggage.
as a hired hand once the Cowfolk cut Roy

It's definitely stupid. But camp and two-a-days suck, a lot. It gives the guys something to look forward to and lightens the mood. Man, there was nothing worse than those first few days when you got the calendar planning out how much the next 3 weeks would suck, and there seemed like no end in sight. Childish pranks kept things going.
keeps it going is a nice way of putting it - 3 week camp I can not imagine, hell 1 week was bad enough

Dez Bryant just upped the ante on his hazing. They are gonna attack that dude and tie him up and write shit on him in permanent marker of some shit. Maybe they all go out to eat and everyone orders the best of the best and they all look at him for the bill. or his car gets towed, or bird seed is spread all over the trunk, roof and hood or they all shit in his locker or they steal his clothes or a million other things that 50 dudes can dream up to F with him.

He will regret not carrying those pads. Mark my words

Back