Directv Nightmare!

spiderman

Reaction score
I switched over to Directv a couple of years ago from cable so that I could take advantage of the Sunday NFL Ticket. Well anyways, it was great at first since they offered a bundle with Verizon for $99 (tv, dsl, phone) & the Sunday NFL ticket for $99 for the entire season (as a promotion). At the time I was happy and couldn't say enough good things about their service.

That is until 1 year into my plan. At that point I ended up moving into an area which apparently does not offer DSL, and as a result got stuck paying separate bills for TV, Internet, & Phone. But I sucked it up because at least I still had the Sunday Ticket (that was my justification). I bought my first HDTV last fall, and upgraded to 1 HD reciever. Life was good until football season came around. Now, obviously I already had to pay full price for the Sunday Ticket (because the promotional period was over), that was fine, but when the first Sunday came around I had no games in HD! I called Directv and they told me that I had to upgrade to the "Superfan" and pay an additional $99. After a few minutes of arguing I agreed. So at that point I was paying big money for separate TV, Internet, & Phone, and also paying more money for HD Sunday Ticket. It was getting expensive, and difficult to justify, but I continued to suck it up.

So that brings us to this year. At the beginning of August I purchased another HDTV during the sales tax holiday, thus I wanted to upgrade another receiver to HD. Around the same time I see my first bill with Sunday Ticket charges, and find out that it has increased in price again. However, once again, I decided to suck it up.

I made an appointment for a technician to come out the Friday before Labor Day weekend to hook up my additional HD receiver (which I had already paid for, but not received at this point). Unfortunately the Thursday night prior to the day they are supposed to come out, I recieve a call saying that they won't be able to honor my appointment and that I have to re-schedule for 10/4. After loads of arguing I reluctantly agree. I wait the additional time (still being a good little customer), and incredibly guess what happens the evening of 10/3? You guessed it, nobody can honor my appointment, AGAIN, and I have to re-schedule for sometime in November. I finally blow my top and call Comcast. They offer me a bundle at a fraction of the cost and say they'll have a guy out this week to switch me over.

It stinks that I will have to give up the NFL ticket, but it was just getting way too expensive and I couldn't take Directv jerking me around anymore.

Anyway, the story doesn't end there.

Apparently, when you sign up for Directv they have a committment of 18 months for regular service and 24 months for HD service. Despite being a customer for well over 24 months, they claim that when you "upgrade" to HD, that your commitment "re-starts". The big problem with this, is that they don't tell you!!! Nor do they provide any paperwork that tells you about this "re-start".

So now, not only have I been jerked around since August (having re-arranged my schedule twice) and not only do I have to once again be inconvenienced in order to deal with the Comcast guy, but Directv is saying that I owe them $200 for early-cancellation!

Now keep in mind that I haven't even complained about all the times that my HD service went out (at the slightest indication of rain), or how I had to purchase an Off-Air antenna (at an additional cost) because they didn't offer me any local Boston stations (only Providence), or any number of times they screwed up my bill and it took months to square away. No, I left all that stuff out in an effort to try and keep this as short as possible. But believe me, all that stuff happened too.

Anyways, I'm posting this first and foremost to bitch, but I am also posting this for anyone considering switching over. It has been a complete nightmare. As impossible as this sounds I can't wait to get back with the cable company. Directv is HORRIBLE!!!

I switched over to Directv a couple of years ago from cable so that I could take advantage of the Sunday NFL Ticket. Well anyways, it was great at first since they offered a bundle with Verizon for $99 (tv, dsl, phone) & the Sunday NFL ticket for $99 for the entire season (as a promotion). At the time I was happy and couldn't say enough good things about their service.

That is until 1 year into my plan. At that point I ended up moving into an area which apparently does not offer DSL, and as a result got stuck paying separate bills for TV, Internet, & Phone. But I sucked it up because at least I still had the Sunday Ticket (that was my justification). I bought my first HDTV last fall, and upgraded to 1 HD reciever. Life was good until football season came around. Now, obviously I already had to pay full price for the Sunday Ticket (because the promotional period was over), that was fine, but when the first Sunday came around I had no games in HD! I called Directv and they told me that I had to upgrade to the "Superfan" and pay an additional $99. After a few minutes of arguing I agreed. So at that point I was paying big money for separate TV, Internet, & Phone, and also paying more money for HD Sunday Ticket. It was getting expensive, and difficult to justify, but I continued to suck it up.

So that brings us to this year. At the beginning of August I purchased another HDTV during the sales tax holiday, thus I wanted to upgrade another receiver to HD. Around the same time I see my first bill with Sunday Ticket charges, and find out that it has increased in price again. However, once again, I decided to suck it up.

I made an appointment for a technician to come out the Friday before Labor Day weekend to hook up my additional HD receiver (which I had already paid for, but not received at this point). Unfortunately the Thursday night prior to the day they are supposed to come out, I recieve a call saying that they won't be able to honor my appointment and that I have to re-schedule for 10/4. After loads of arguing I reluctantly agree. I wait the additional time (still being a good little customer), and incredibly guess what happens the evening of 10/3? You guessed it, nobody can honor my appointment, AGAIN, and I have to re-schedule for sometime in November. I finally blow my top and call Comcast. They offer me a bundle at a fraction of the cost and say they'll have a guy out this week to switch me over.

It stinks that I will have to give up the NFL ticket, but it was just getting way too expensive and I couldn't take Directv jerking me around anymore.

Apparently, when you sign up for Directv they have a committment of 18 months for regular service and 24 months for HD service. Despite being a customer for well over 24 months, they claim that when you "upgrade" to HD, that your commitment "re-starts". The big problem with this, is that they don't tell you!!! Nor do they provide any paperwork that tells you about this "re-start".

So now, not only have I been jerked around since August (having re-arranged my schedule twice) and not only do I have to once again be inconvenienced in order to deal with the Comcast guy, but Directv is saying that I owe them $200 for early-cancellation!

Now keep in mind that I haven't even complained about all the times that my HD service went out (at the slightest indication of rain), or how I had to purchase an Off-Air antenna (at an additional cost) because they didn't offer me any local Boston stations (only Providence), or any number of times they screwed up my bill and it took months to square away. No, I left all that stuff out in an effort to try and keep this as short as possible. But believe me, all that stuff happened too.

Anyways, I'm posting this first and foremost to bitch, but I am also posting this for anyone considering switching over. It has been a complete nightmare. As impossible as this sounds I can't wait to get back with the cable company. Directv is HORRIBLE!!!

Three words - Hank Philippi Ryan @ Channel 7 news. Trust me, that woman can take care of anything.

Plus, if they never notified you that you were re-upping your contract, then you have a legitimate gripe. I'm telling you, call Hank...she will help.

I call every time there is a problem that way if they say I’m under contract I can have them look up my issues at the time and say you broke the contract with me when your service was phucked up on these HD units. And TIVO will be back with DirecTV, 3rd quarter of next year and I want one of those units, so I will stick with them.

They still beat cable TV.

They still beat cable TV.

DirecTV

- Monthly Cost - $128.00 (no internet, no phone)

- Have to wait 3 months for a guy to swap out 1 receiver.

- Have to sign up for 24 months

- Lose picture when it rains

- Need separate antenna for Local stations

Comcast

- Monthly Cost - $159.00 (TV, Internet, Phone)

- Have to wait 3 days for complete installation (only because they have to buy my phone number from Verizon)

- No commitment (cancel or change anytime)

- Never lose picture because of weather.

- All local stations included.

Sorry, from where I sit I don't see how DirecTV is the better option.

I've never been happy with any provider. Cable, dish, antenna, I hate them all

Why don't you just use DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket? That's what Annihilus has done for about 10 years now. Everything else goes through cable.

DirecTV

- Monthly Cost - $128.00 (no internet, no phone)

- Have to wait 3 months for a guy to swap out 1 receiver.

- Have to sign up for 24 months

- Lose picture when it rains

- Need separate antenna for Local stations

Comcast

- Monthly Cost - $159.00 (TV, Internet, Phone)

- Have to wait 3 days for complete installation (only because they have to buy my phone number from Verizon)

- No commitment (cancel or change anytime)

- Never lose picture because of weather.

- All local stations included.

Sorry, from where I sit I don't see how DirecTV is the better option.

It’s better for me until Dwight Schrute gets FioS into the town of Halifax:thumb:

Spidey, my friend, you need to work on your arguing skillz!

I had Directv for 4-5 yrs, and whenever there was the slightest trouble I was able to hold them over a barrel for free stuff multiple times. Free 3 month movie packages. Not showing EVERY game with the Sunday Ticket was always good for a freebie of some sort. You just had to deal with the cust. serv. wait in q, then just not take no for an answer, until eventually you'll be forwarded to a mngr who WILL cave, just to get rid of you.

It’s better for me until Dwight Schrute gets FioS into the town of Halifax:thumb:

Hey, believe me, like I said, I thought they were great at first, and honestly I was willing to put up with whatever. It was the waiting 3 months to upgrade a receiver thing that pushed me over the edge, then the early cancellation fee that made me go nutty.

6 months ago I was a big fan of their's.

Spidey, my friend, you need to work on your arguing skillz!

I had Directv for 4-5 yrs, and whenever there was the slightest trouble I was able to hold them over a barrel for free stuff multiple times. Free 3 month movie packages. Not showing EVERY game with the Sunday Ticket was always good for a freebie of some sort. You just had to deal with the cust. serv. wait in q, then just not take no for an answer, until eventually you'll be forwarded to a mngr who WILL cave, just to get rid of you.

I did this the first time that they cancelled my upgrade and got one month free, my upgrade fee waived, and $20 a month off my bill for 6 months.

Then they cancelled the second time and I told them that unless they were going to give me free service for a year, I'd had enough of them.

I left a lot of the story out, but believe me I don't need help with the arguing skillz!!!

Put it this way, I had the technician at my house on Saturday (despite being told it was impossible), and I told him to beat-it!

If I had to yell & scream to get them to come out to my house, it wasn't worth giving them anymore of my money.

That's not entirely true. I received local stations when I had it in Ft Myers and that was over 2 years ago. No waiver BS needed either.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1000013

No it's not entirely true, but you're stuck with the local channels they offer.

Where I live they don't offer Boston channels, only Providence. I live close enough to Boston where they should at least give you the option. Comcast offers Boston channels where I live, so IMO DirecTV should too.

Every person that I've known who got a dish ended up with huge complaints, large past due bills, etc. I'd love the Sunday Ticket but do not wish to deal with all of the contracts and crap.

Get cable or pay a huge chunk of change that could be spent on other things in life. As far as their $200 broken contract part, fug em. Make them PROVE you re-signed the contract. They'll call you, send hate mail and turn it over for collections. Don't reply to the mail and when they call, tell them "Wrong number". It will end up costing them more than what you owe to keep chasing you.

No it's not entirely true, but you're stuck with the local channels they offer.

Where I live they don't offer Boston channels, only Providence. I live close enough to Boston where they should at least give you the option. Comcast offers Boston channels where I live, so IMO DirecTV should too.

That sounds shitty, I live on the south shore and don’t get the Providence channels like I did with Cable but get New Hampshire channels instead which totally suck

How do you do that?

Just cancel everything but Sunday Ticket, then that's all you have to pay for. Of course then you'll only use your dish during football season, but that's no big deal.

live internet streams ftw!

better than spending $199 on directTV anyway.

If I've said once I've said it 1000 times. All you need to do is call before the season starts & just say cancel to the automated voice thingy. Someone will come on fast. Tell them you want to cancel the the Sunday Ticket & they will offer you SuperFan for free. I've had SuperFan for 4 years & NEVER EVER paid for it. They also throw in the sports pack for free. meaning ESPNU & all the regional sports stations. I don't know about the seperate antenna thing. I live in the sticks & get local channels just fine. Also they just upgraded me with a new HD DVR at no cost. Didn't even have to pay for installation. I really can't complain about DirecTv. They have always seemed happy to take care of my needs.

Back