Disaster of the Francis Scott Key bridge

There are several ships that left Baltimore last weekend that now have to return to Norfolk. I imagine that those passengers have spent a good amount of their cruise time trying to figure out how to get back to Baltimore when they return (many drive to the port and leave their cars there). Then there are the one who have cruises in the next few weeks that need to figure out how to get to Norfolk instead of Baltimore. Finally, there are the cruise line employees who work in Baltimore that may be out of work until operations resume.

The implications are far reaching across multiple industries.
:smilies-11117:

ain't seen you around in a minute.

But yeah, the VA Tidewater area is probably the most equipped place on the coast north of Miami that can handle the overload

Anyone else hoping to wake up to good news?
Hard to get a grip on what good news would be anymore.
We probably wouldn't talk about it.

I wish for a soft landing, somehow, someway,
It's almost lotteryesque < I made up that word.

If any Boston people are wondering what would happen if a big ship hit the Tobin Bridge-- if that same deal could happen here-- the answer is allegedly, no, It
would not be like that.

The technical explanation I heard is that the Key was constructed with "through" trusses, which is why such a massive section of it collapsed, but the Tobin used
cantilever truss construction which should mean that it wouldn't fall like dominoes and the damage would be more limited. I'm sure every port city in the world
with a big bridge will be sweating it out a little now.

I've driven over the Key and it was amazing to see how flimsy it looked when it was falling into the water. It seemed to snap like uncooked
spaghetti. It was a hard thing for me to visually process.

I was talking about this with my Brother in Law today who is a Mass Maritime grad and knows some things about shipping and I asked him why they just dropped one
anchor. He said it was a good question, but suggested there wasn't time. I don't know how long it takes to drop an anchor on one of those monsters, but if they had
time to issue all kinds of warnings then I would think that they should have had plenty of time.

Wow...the shit that is coming out about this...

okay, as I suspected the ship was outbound but still inside the channel. The ship's captain was told by the port captain to drop the port anchor, which spun it directly into the support. Also, the ship's captain had requested tug assistance.

This stinks to high fucking Heaven
IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5455.jpeg

Two high-ranking law enforcement officials, familiar with the matter, have revealed that the FBI is now conducting a criminal investigation into the cargo ship responsible for colliding with the Francis Scott Key Bridge, leading to its collapse in Baltimore last month.

On Monday morning, federal agents executed search warrants aboard the 985-foot Dali.

Two high-ranking law enforcement officials, familiar with the matter, have revealed that the FBI is now conducting a criminal investigation into the cargo ship responsible for colliding with the Francis Scott Key Bridge, leading to its collapse in Baltimore last month.

On Monday morning, federal agents executed search warrants aboard the 985-foot Dali.

My tin foil hat is ON.

Back