Do you root for teams that beat your team in the playoffs?

Do you root for the team that beat your team in the playoffs?

• Yes, they sort of represent my team (with exceptions for cretins like the Jets and Colts)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No, I tend to dislike them with great intensity

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
Some people root for the team that beat their team in the playoffs as if they are somehow "representing their team."

I never got that as I tend to develop some unhealthy negativity for teams that beat my team.

I tend to root for a team from the other conference to win.

There are exceptions. I would never root for the Iggles or Giants. But most years, if the Pats are out, I root for the NFC entrant, even if the team that beat the Pats in the playoffs is in the Super Bowl.

Where do you stand on this critically important issue?

A poll is coming. And driping.

don't need any stinking pole

HELL NO

I then stop watching the run for the gold

Depends. Generally, no. Because I develop intense hatred of whoever is playing my teams that it skews my ability to pull for them from then on. Exceptions, of course, are based on who they play. For example, Ravens over Colts. Anyone over Yankees. Etc.

What gets me is the thought of the people celebrating my team's demise then being happy and winning a title. For example...in the NHL playoffs, with the 4 teams left, normally I would pull for the Sharks. But...the thought of the people who booed and heckled the Wings then celebrating the championship bothers me. In general, I have no reason to have qualms with Shark players or fans. But this spring, that bugs me.

Plus, if I have a history of being in that city/interacting with their fans, that can skew my perceptions as well.

If there is some sort of "win one for the gipper" aspect, maybe.

While there may be some exceptions occasionally, I'd say usually no, I don't root for them. Case in point: losing to the Habs has me almost sort of half-way rooting for the Goons, if I was physically capable of doing so without vomiting. (the fact I think the Goons have less of a chance of avoiding getting steamrolled by the winner of the West is a major factor)

Depends on the team and who they're playing in the next round but I usually never root for either to win, just for a particular one to lose if that makes sense. Then when it comes down to the championship I'll usually root for other conference to win I guess, unless it turns out the east team isn't hated then I root for our conference to win.

Like there's no way I'm rooting for the Habs, but I'd like to see the Goons lose. Then I'll root for Chicago

Depends on the team and who they're playing but I usually never root for either to win, to one of them to lose if that makes sense. Then when it comes down to the championship I'll usually root for other conference to win I guess

Fully.

If it wasn't the Pats, it sure as hell wasn't going to be the Clots!!!

Rooting...................................probably not

BUT
if the Phlyers dont beat the Canadiens I'll be pissed
I might think the Blackhawks will crush whoever comes out of the East but the Habs.................................................................

BEAT LA!!! BEAT LA!!! BEAT LA!!!

Rarely and only when I despise the opponent way more than the team that beat us.

Like LA. Like the Canadians.

Cheers, BostonTim

Depends. Generally, no. Because I develop intense hatred of whoever is playing my teams that it skews my ability to pull for them from then on. Exceptions, of course, are based on who they play. For example, Ravens over Colts. Anyone over Yankees. Etc.

What gets me is the thought of the people celebrating my team's demise then being happy and winning a title. For example...in the NHL playoffs, with the 4 teams left, normally I would pull for the Sharks. But...the thought of the people who booed and heckled the Wings then celebrating the championship bothers me. In general, I have no reason to have qualms with Shark players or fans. But this spring, that bugs me.

Plus, if I have a history of being in that city/interacting with their fans, that can skew my perceptions as well.
....this

The right answer for me is it depends. Usually I disengage and stop watching, but some times, after watching a series against the team I'm rooting for, I've gotten more familiar with the other team's players and style and I keep watching a bit to see how they'll stack up in the next round.

One of the only Boston rivals I've truly hated were the bad boy Detroit Pistons teams, but one of the classiest moves I've seen was when they finally got past the 80's Celtics in the '88 Eastern Conference finals in game 6 at Boston Garden, the Boston fans chanted Beat L.A. for them during the last minute of the game. That team didn't deserve it though - the fans should have mugged Bill Laimbeer in the parking lot.

Was 88 before or after they called Bird overrated. Bastards

I know this is ridiculous, but it depends on the other team's fans. In my moments of pissed off wickedry afer a playoff loss I think of all the people I know that root for that team. If they're assholes, I pray their team dies a horrible death. I've got some good friends of other teams. If they were to beat the Pats for instance, I'd say good on them.

I know this is ridiculous, but it depends on the other team's fans. In my moments of pissed off wickedry afer a playoff loss I think of all the people I know that root for that team. If they're assholes, I pray their team dies a horrible death. I've got some good friends of other teams. If they were to beat the Pats for instance, I'd say good on them.
That's not ridiculous.

Was 88 before or after they called Bird overrated. Bastards

After. They said he was "just another good player" after he stole Isaiah's in-bounds in '87 to force game 7 and knock them out of the finals. ROFL

I can't argue with your logic at all.

I just watch football. I will root for them to beat the teams I hate the most left in the playoffs then. MY dad always says if your team not in it anymore. You root for what ever Conference makes it to the championship game that your Favorite team played In.

I just watch football. I will root for them to beat the teams I hate the most left in the playoffs then. MY dad always says if your team not in it anymore. You root for what ever Conference makes it to the championship game that your Favorite team played In.

I've never done that, in the Bears v Colts SB, I was hoping the Bears would win...

Back