ESPN: Pats guilty as charged in video-gate

Pats and Sox on 09-11-2007 at 06:11 PM said:
But I don't understand how the Commissioner could have already made a fair conclusion on the matter without having heard from Foxboro yet.
:D

I'm sure the Pats will be penalized simply for breaking the cameraman rule. The tape could have nothing on it but Spongebob cartoons, and the NFL can still fine the Pats with a draft pick for having the cameraman there at all. So it's almost a moot point as to what he was filming.

I'm still firmly in the camp of "this happens with every team, the Pats were just stupid enough to get caught". Dock 'em what you will in terms of draft picks, because they deserve it for being so brazen and, frankly, stupid (since IMO the talent level on this team is such that they shouldn't have to resort to tactics like that). But, please, everyone (especially visiting trolls), let's not pretend the other 31 teams don't do the same stuff.

Also, since the accusations of previous videotaping took place last season, I'll assume the three Super Bowl years are untainted. (Unless they were just really good at it back then, LOL.)

MEPATNUT on 09-11-2007 at 06:47 PM said:
Maybe you can hook on with the Saint Sister Theresa High School team.

Yeah well with you being the Mayor of Homerville maybe you can make it happen.

My question is who gets the picks? they way I look at it is if the nfl takes them away and not gives them to someone dont they kind of rob 7(or more if they take all) kids a chance to maybe be a surprise?

Should they be found guilty of an offense that it seems a lot of teams commit, anyone think that BB and Co. will hold no punches against the NYJ and others in regards to filing tampering charges, blocking waiver moves etc.?

Tchok13 on 09-11-2007 at 06:19 PM said:
And now just added to the article:

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello: "No decision has been rendered, we haven't announced anything and the club hasn't been notified."

ESPN didn't think to confirm with the NFL before posting the orginal story??
Sheesh

Why should they? They are ESPN...the king of sports reporting. :rolleyes: They'd be the undisputed king if Borges and Prisco were on their payroll. :D

I'm not surprised that the Pats were found guilty and as for whatever penalty the NFL hands out...meh...big deal. Spying on other teams will continue to be done by every team in the NFL in one form or another. None are innocent of this. The Pats just happen to be the Nixon of the NFL. They got caught.

If this is true then I am officially embarassed to be a fan of these cheaters. This is disgraceful!

Fully Tilted on 09-11-2007 at 07:18 PM said:
Should they be found guilty of an offense that it seems a lot of teams commit, anyone think that BB and Co. will hold no punches against the NYJ and others in regards to filing tampering charges, blocking waiver moves etc.?

So basically say "We were stupid and got caught cheating, so we're going to take it out on all you guys who wouldn't just let us get away with it"?

:confused:

LVent on 09-11-2007 at 06:15 PM said:
My question is who gets the picks? they way I look at it is if the nfl takes them away and not gives them to someone dont they kind of rob 7(or more if they take all) kids a chance to maybe be a surprise?

THe lost picks would just be forfeited and all picks afterwards would just move up one. For example, if the Pats win the Super Bowl and lose their second first round pick (#32), they would not be allowed to pick then and round one would end after only 31 picks (with round two starting thereafter).

So looking on the bright side, you could say they'll get one or two picks better talent in the later rounds. :thumb:

Hi all, long time lurker. Current events have compelled me to post my feelings though. I agree with SamBam. I thought I was rooting for a team that I could be proud of. A Team constantly knocked by fans of other teams as not very talented, lucky or even cheaters. I never believed any of this but I was always proud that our Pats nearly always came through for us. I felt pride the I rooted for a bunch of hard working players and coaches that would seemingly overcome the odds. This incident has placed doubt in my mind about all of the teams recent accomplishments now. Maybe I am over reacting to the the news and there is a good explanation for all this. But I am ashamed to be a Pats fan now when I once wore the badge proudly. Thanks Bill....:(

mhannah on 09-11-2007 at 07:47 PM said:
Hi all, long time lurker. Current events have compelled me to post my feelings though. I agree with SamBam. I thought I was rooting for a team that I could be proud of. A Team constantly knocked by fans of other teams as not very talented, lucky or even cheaters. I never believed any of this but I was always proud that our Pats nearly always came through for us. I felt pride the I rooted for a bunch of hard working players and coaches that would seemingly overcome the odds. This incident has placed doubt in my mind about all of the teams recent accomplishments now. Maybe I am over reacting to the the news and there is a good explanation for all this. But I am ashamed to be a Pats fan now when I once wore the badge proudly. Thanks Bill....:(

:***: See ya. Don't let the door hit your pansy ass on the way out.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion (and certainly entitled to be angry over the last several weeks), but I would just like to say as a rival team's fan that you shouldn't jump ship just yet. You still need good players and good coaches to field a championship caliber team, which you've done 5 of the last 6 years. Let a little time pass, let the whole truth come out, and if you still want to write them off, go for it.

Wowsa, Tmack with the voice of reason,
I need a beer

yes you are IMHO --- and I am not singling you out, it is just that I have seen multiple posts here and elsewhere today with similar sentiments

I think we all need to take a short rest, let the League Offices do their thing, find out what the ramifications will be and get more information regarding this particular matter and the supposed league-wide practice of this and other "intelligence gathering"

the press has already reported the cameraman was ON the JETS sidelines filming Jets personnel when he was on the PATS sidelines doing his filming

local sports talk-radio is reporting that ALL teams have sanctioned filming personnel at games to give them field level perspective to analyze

this while the general NFL fanbase nationally is of the opinion that ONLY the Pats have a filmguy on the sidelines

all the facts are not in yet on this is all I am saying

BTW .... a belated :Lwelcome: mhannah

Maybe I'm over reacting, Bill. But did I just see a seat open up on the bandwagon?

The Mother Theresa High School team is looking for boosters.:Lwelcome:

Relax everyone. The Pats got caught smoking in the boys room. Just like evrybody else. In 4 weeks this will be forgoten. Especially after 4 more teams are reprimanded for the same things. Don't you think the Pats are readying their own video of opossing teams doing the very same thing?

Roger should be careful or he will have to punish the entire league.....

Ya know, the rival fan in me would love to gloat, point the finger, taint the rings, etc.

And while I do abhor cheating, I also know probably most teams do it, in some form or fashion.

Just not MY team. :)

Seriously, tho, if I were a Pats fan in this situation, I'd be pissed they were so stupid, I'd be disappointed, I'd wonder why they felt they had to resort to such tactics, and I'd probably have to come off the "class, no respect, etc." High horse a bit... But I'd still be a fan and proud of the team's accomplishments.

Stealing signals won't help you if you don't have talented players on the field.

Like others have said, I'll reserve judgement until all the facts are in.

Knee-jerk reactions are seldom accurate.

Back