First Game Of The 2013 Regular Season, Broncos vs Ravens

As much as I dislike the Ravens, I respect them. I don't respect Denver and I am always sick of the never-ending hype around Peyton Manning.

I hope the Ravens punch the Broncos in the mouth. Ideally, this is a high body-bag count on both sides of the ball with neither team fully recovering until week 8.

and I bear no animosity to Welker. It's a business decision... Welker can talk all he wants. He plays for the Broncos

1st 2 paragraphs are 100% spot on.

3rd paragraph needs work. This oughta do it:

welker.gif

Fair point, except why is Asante still hated upon for basically the same circumstances? Asante wanted to get paid. Welker wanted to get paid. Asante dropped a ball that cost us a SB against NYG. Welker dropped a ball that cost us a SB against NYG. Asante begrudgingly played a year under the franchise tag. Welker begrudgingly played a year under the franchise tag. Asante left for cash money. Welker left for cash money. The Patriots didn't value either player enough to bring them back, but probably valued Asante more than Welker.

Yet Asante is a four letter word to most Pats fans.

My only issue with Welker was the little crybaby BS he pulled about the team after he left, thats it for me. I do not hate him for any drop or why he left or anything. Players make mistakes, and the NFL is a business and not everyone is Bruschi walking in after a superbowl win with no agent saying pay me what you can, or a Tom Brady taking less money to stay with the team, so I do not fault him for any of that, what I do fault him for is opening his mouth and bitching about the team and coach that basically made him everything he is, a team and coach that rescued him for obscurity and brought out his strengths that another team would not have....that kind of crap gets me.

Ahhh, the hate is very strong in you and I do admire it.

I should have added that I while I have respect for them I don't like Baltimore as I have mellowed over the years and try to save my hatred for a key spot in the season when the white-hot hatred of a thousand suns exploding is called for.

I can't hate everybody that beats us even if that seldom happens. I'm just pacing myself. Long way to go yet.

:D

With me its not about beating us. I do not hate the Giants....my hate with Baltimore centers around Suggs and his mouth and the way he tears into my team with all the BS spygate crap. I also think Flacco is a huge crybaby who cannot take being called out and wants everyone to say how great he is or he is upset. Other then that, they are the same as any other team to me.

And of course

In the biggest game of the season, Welker couldn’t get his hands on two Tom Brady third-down passes that appeared catchable. And, once again, his season ends with an unknown future.
“We just didn’t execute the way we needed to and it showed,” Welker said. “They made more plays then we did. In the end, it just wasn’t enough for us. That’s the way it goes.”
During the game’s opening drive, the Pats faced a third-and-2 on their 42-yard line. Welker broke free of coverage and Brady threw him the ball. The pass, however, fell between the Welker’s hands and the Pats were forced to punt.
It wasn’t the last time Welker’s hands let him down.
Leading 13-7, the Patriots stopped the Ravens on their opening drive of the second half. The Pats, who were at Baltimore’s 34-yard line, were faced with a third-and-8. Brady again threw to an open Welker. But this time, the ball bounced off Welker’s hands.
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...oses_grasp_pats_collapse#sthash.xuAtBePD.dpuf

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/CduA0TULnow?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/CduA0TULnow?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

And of course

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/CduA0TULnow?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/CduA0TULnow?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

meh, it was all of those bad Brady passes. Welker cannot be required to make catches that do not hit him somewhere between the 8 and the 3, if its to the right or left or....gasp* where he might have to raise his hands in the air, you cannot expect him to catch those....

I'm rooting for a terminal power outage in the 4th which means they play almost the entire game but then have to reschedule.

Game has to be replayed at a later date wiping out the bye week for both teams.

Satisfactory.

I'm rooting for a terminal power outage in the 4th which means they play almost the entire game but then have to reschedule.

Game has to be replayed at a later date wiping out the bye week for both teams.

Satisfactory.

Well if that happens I am sure the ravens will swear they were cheated.:coffee:

PFF...3 to focus on...Broncos vs Ravens. wk 1

It's premium so I'll post it

Football is back! And now it counts.
As excited as we were to bring you our in-depth analysis of preseason football for the first time, we’re even more excited, as every NFL fan is, to see the return of the regular season. It feels like the excitement, intrigue and intensity around this game has been building since it became clear the season opener couldn’t be held in Baltimore. The added spice of a rematch of a playoff classic only serves to promise a spectacle from the opening kickoff of the 2013 NFL season.
On that night back in January the Baltimore Ravens prevailed en route to their Super Bowl charge, while the Denver Broncos fell from the playoffs at their first post-season hurdle. Since then much has changed and much has stayed the same around these two teams. One defender has crossed sides ahead of the season opener, one of his former teammates is missing due to a league suspension, and then there’s the small matter of two future hall of famers departing the scene from the Super Bowl champions.
Yet, at its core, this game will still be about Peyton Manning and Joe Flacco. It will still be about the Baltimore Ravens, this time without Ray Lewis playing his chess game against Manning, trying to rattle the former Colts quarterback with pressure and disguised coverages. It will be about the Broncos trying to right the wrongs — as they will perceive them — of that night and not letting Flacco get the big plays deep down the field as the Ravens attempt to pick up where they left off seven months ago.
No Miller, No Dumervil, No Pressure?
Even with both Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil patrolling the edge of their defense in last year’s playoff defeat, the Broncos struggled to generate much in the way of pressure on Flacco. As a team they earned a -4.3 pass rush grade with only Miller (1 Sk, 1Ht, 5 Hu) shining individually. On 36 drop-backs the Broncos pressured Flacco on only 10, dropping him for a sack only once, and allowing him the luxury to hold for (on average) three seconds before releasing a pass.
Ahead of this game the Broncos’ pass rush has only worsened, on paper, with the loss of Dumervil to Baltimore and Miller to a six-game suspension to start the season. Trying to fill that void will be the likes of Robert Ayers, Derek Wolfe and Shaun Phillips, none of whom have a recent track record to suggest that they will replace Dumervil’s pressure, let alone come close to filling the hole Miller’s absence leaves.
With the Ravens’ offensive line looking reasonably solid in preseason it is hard to see where the Broncos are going to generate pressure from in this game. If Flacco has time to hold the ball and allow plays to develop down the field (something the Ravens didn’t show much of with the first-team in preseason), then it’s hard to see this Broncos’ secondary holding up any better than they did in January, particularly with the absence of Champ Bailey. That night Flacco went 4 of 6 for 185 yards and three touchdowns on passes aimed 20+ yards downfield. The Broncos need their pass rush to step up as much as their defensive backs to avoid a repeat performance.
Winning On the Ground
One similarity between these two teams coming out of preseason is how well they are playing the run, and how difficult this could make life for the opposing running games. Of the Ravens’ starting defense, as projected by our own Neil Hornsby on Tuesday, not one player graded negatively against the run in preseason, and to add to that Terrence Cody‘s play (+6.6 run defense) suggested he could be about to put in the best season of his pro career.
Not wanting to be outdone by the defending champions, the Broncos also had a strong preseason of run defense from their starters, although Wolfe (-1.5) prevents a clean sweep in that regard. Back in January both teams showed commitment to the run, but Denver gained an average of only 3 yards per carry, while Baltimore managed just 4. It will be a tough ask for the starting offensive lines to hit the ground running and maintain some semblance of balance for their offenses, but each have positive signs from the preseason and quality blockers to suggest some success could be had.
For the Ravens, Marshal Yanda played only 20 preseason snaps but he made them count as a run blocker with some eye-catching blocks from his first snap. Meanwhile for the Broncos, new signing Louis Vasquez (+4.7 run block) had a strong preseason at a right guard spot where Chris Kuper had a disastrous game (-7.4 overall) in the playoff defeat. The focus may well be on the quarterbacks and the passing games for the season opener, but the ground game that can have the most joy against strong looking run D’s will give their quarterback the best chance of winning their own duel by bringing a balanced threat to the field.
Controlling the Middle of the Field
It’s hard to imagine a defense managing to improve after they lose two future Hall-of-Fame players, but indications from preseason suggest the Ravens may have managed to do just that. Preseason can be misleading, though, and this fresh Ravens defense will get a stern test off the bat against Manning and his new slot receiver Wes Welker, particularly in the secondary. Up front things looked extremely good for the Ravens with their defensive line swallowing the run and Daryl Smith (+6.7) doing everything well behind them. However, the back end holds the biggest questions.
Returning starter Lardarius Webb played only 17 preseason snaps and the Ravens don’t appear to be blessed with quality depth at corner, especially against the predominantly three-wide Denver offense. The Ravens won against Manning last season between the numbers (Manning was 11 of 20 with two interceptions there) while a week later Welker was perfect between the numbers (7 of 7, 116 yards), though the Ravens did get an interception on a pass targeted for Aaron Hernandez. How this crucial battleground plays out could swing this game. Will the Ravens pressure, and in particular their ability to turn pressure into hits and sacks, maintain their control between the numbers? …or will the addition of Welker to an already stacked receiving corps swing the balance of power towards Denver?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/05/3tfo-balden-week-1/

Football is back TONIGHT! :celebrate:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f3coKH-EfHk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QmQFz3WugQE?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Incredible luck

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_IJ6EDc3A88?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Incredible luck

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_IJ6EDc3A88?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He had some truly terrible throws against Indy the week before that were only caught (and/or not picked) because Boldin has either magnets or glue on his hands.

He had some truly terrible throws against Indy the week before that were only caught (and/or no picked) because Boldin has either magnets or glue on his hands.

The one that got me was to Jones when Jones had the secondary beat and (strong arm) flacco under threw him about 10 yards, he came back to where the defense was, jumped up caught it fell to the ground got back up and ran for a td while the two defenders were falling on each other. If Brady throws that pass its picked off twice in the same play.

I have been waiting all day
Thank God, Football is back!!!

The important thing about tonight's game, is that Torrey Smith and Eric Decker do nothing.

The important thing about tonight's game, is that Torrey Smith and Eric Decker do nothing.

Well if Smith does nothing, I am not sure how the Ravens will score, as far as Decker, the more balls that do not get thrown to the dwarf the better, so better to Decker.

Well if Smith does nothing, I am not sure how the Ravens will score, as far as Decker, the more balls that do not get thrown to the dwarf the better, so better to Decker.
The answer to question one is Ray Rice. The answer to question two is that my fantasy team's welfare trumps your bitterness.

Back