Garoppolo to SF for 2018 2nd rounder

That's possible but a few things to consider before you go all in on this:
1. The thinking at the time is that the Pats were LOADED and had no need to make a trade;
2. The team was so good, in fact, that even if TB were injured, JG might be good enough to finish the SB run;
3. Brissett wasn't the answer and BB knew it;
4. BB wanted to keep JG for the long term and at the time thought there was a chance of that since JG/Yee hadn't yet told BB no dice.

People change minds and changed minds change circumstances. I have a really hard time understanding the logic of those who want to blame BB for not getting more for JG in the spring when BB wanted to hold on to JG, not for 6 months but for 6 years. BB thought it was a reasonable gamble but it was JG who pulled out of the game. No one is to blame other than the circumstances. JG had leverage & forced the issue by refusing all options. Why can't people see that?

I believe all this.

However, I think the info could have been gleaned prior to last draft, and basically strong armed him into an extension. If he refused you knew his intent was to play ASAP.

Seeing JB moved and starting every week when he KNOWS he’s far superior is the straw that broke the camels back imo.

As far as compensation? You always get as much as you can if you’re doing what’s best for the team. If the roster is that strong you can always move picks into subsequent years or package to move up.

Bill wanted him here. Long term. This I have no doubt. But as the process played he got handcuffed. I think we could have got more.

I wish the kid well. He could’ve made waves. But he seems like a real talented stand up guy.

I hope we can find another...

Jimmy G is going to be a star.. But not right away. And obviously not at Brady’s level. If the 2nd round pick we got turns into at least one star player for us, then the trade is a win for all involved. I wish Jimmy good luck in San Fran.

Jimmy G is going to be a star.. But not right away. And obviously not at Brady’s level. If the 2nd round pick we got turns into at least one star player for us, then the trade is a win for all involved. I wish Jimmy good luck in San Fran.

I think the jury is out on him being a star in San Fran. We will see if he can learn Shanahan's system and somehow make hay with that awful roster. I hope they give him some time to learn and don't just throw him to the wolves. I mean 0-8. Give him a chance to get his feet under him but somehow I don't think they will. Jimmy will also learn fast just how FAR other orgs are from the professional and winning environment of NE (I am sure Brissett has already been telling him). I wish him well. Good kid.

I haven't read this whole thread so it may have been mentioned but without a doubt the single person most upset about this trade has to be Kirk Cousins agent.popcorn

As far as "could he have gotten more", Belichick obviously respects JG and so it's possible he didn't ship him off to the QB graveyard of say the Browns out of respect for him. Putting him on a team in rebuild mode which will now build around his specific talent pool with a head coach known as someone who is great for developing QBs and maximizing their potential is doing right by JG.

I know, I know, Belichick's job is to be team first and he is supposed to be ruthless with his players and all, but I honestly feel there is a good chance that on this one he said "what's right for Jimmy?" and made that happen with terms that the desired destination team could actually meet, rather than going for max return off a team where JG's career would be all of 3 games before the next QB got eaten up by their incompetence.

I haven't read this whole thread so it may have been mentioned but without a doubt the single person most upset about this trade has to be Kirk Cousins agent.popcorn

There are still plenty of open markets for Cousins, Denver and Jacksonville being potentially at the top of the list. Those two teams in particular look to be far closer than SF...basically a QB away from making a serious run. Captain Kirk is still going to get paid.

From the beginning the timing was all wrong. If they'd drafted Jimmy G. this year or next instead of four years ago he'd be the quarterback of the future. His fault for being born at the wrong time! :D

Out of curiosity, what could Bill have done to avoid this situation?

EDIT: Are you suggesting that Bill do what Dwight offered?

Simple. Or at least logical in my mind.

We should have traded Jimmy prior to the draft because:

A. We could have gotten more. I can't prove it in a factual way, but it doesn't take a genius to see the value that hacks like McCarron etc., have and it was easy for me to see him bringing a late first or a couple of seconds and change. I wrote about this often prior to the draft. I never bought the high first from Cleveland theory, which I believe was the 11th pick and thought that was too much, but two seconds? That could've happened.

Given that this draft was considered deep and strong and the play of this rookie crop has justified that opinion, I think we missed an obvious opportunity to add young, talented players that could be helping us right now by getting more key draft picks. What we ended up with instead appears to be a decidedly mixed bag with a good WR, a better RB rotation and some big disappointments. Many folks thought we won the offseason, but it doesn't look that way anymore, does it?

B. I don't buy the theory that the Pats wanted to be sure that Brady was OK and therefore held on to Jimmy just in case Tom stopped mastering game plans because Matlock reruns were on TV. It was and is implausible that he could have so suddenly lost it based on his play last season which was close to Brady's best overall. His arm strength and ability to spin the ball hard and accurately shouldn't have been in question and he was no slower than he ever was. If we did doubt him then it was a questionable viewpoint.

C. We could have kept Brissett because he's got much better upside than Brian Hoyer ever had and I don't care much for the "he's a bad fit for our offense" theory. In case nobody noticed, we're a vertical offense now and Brissett throws laser beams. Hoyer throws dust beams. Trading Jacoby away for a donut hole named Dorsett makes no sense whatsover and never did. I simply choose to believe that Brissett has more value than some people do based on what I've seen him do. Feel free to correct me by this time next year based on where he is as a QB. I'm not too worried.

That about sums it up. I see lost opportunities to get better. We would be a better team right now if we did the above than what we did do.

In my completely amateurish and borderline heretical opinion, we screwed the pooch.

JG has not signed long term yet. He will, I think, but with who? He could go all Cousins on teams and sign year to year. Could he return, don't know.

Then we enter TC this year and Jimmy was tossing picks left and right and underperforming practice after practice. His last play for us in the preseason was a pick that ended a comeback. The guy just never had the fire in the belly to go out and take it from Brady or he simply was just not good enough. And that is what is required to get the job. That is what Rodgers did to Favre.

Huh? I'm not sure a comment could be more ridiculous, right down to the idiotic Rodgers/Favre take. :dith:

A. We could have gotten more. I can't prove it in a factual way, but it doesn't take a genius to see the value that hacks like McCarron etc., have and it was easy for me to see him bringing a late first or a couple of seconds and change.

First, McCarron was "worth" more because he's a controllable RFA next year whereas Jimmy is a UFA.

The great irony is that the reason Bill waited is because he valued Jimmy so highly and he wanted to give keeping him around every possible shot. The same factor that makes losing him so painful is what forced NE's hand.

A. We could have gotten more. I can't prove it in a factual way, but it doesn't take a genius to see the value that hacks like McCarron etc., have and it was easy for me to see him bringing a late first or a couple of seconds and change. I wrote about this often prior to the draft. I never bought the high first from Cleveland theory, which I believe was the 11th pick and thought that was too much, but two seconds? That could've happened.

Given that this draft was considered deep and strong and the play of this rookie crop has justified that opinion, I think we missed an obvious opportunity to add young, talented players that could be helping us right now by getting more key draft picks. What we ended up with instead appears to be a decidedly mixed bag with a good WR, a better RB rotation and some big disappointments. Many folks thought we won the offseason, but it doesn't look that way anymore, does it?

B. I don't buy the theory that the Pats wanted to be sure that Brady was OK and therefore held on to Jimmy just in case Tom stopped mastering game plans because Matlock reruns were on TV. It was and is implausible that he could have so suddenly lost it based on his play last season which was close to Brady's best overall. His arm strength and ability to spin the ball hard and accurately shouldn't have been in question and he was no slower than he ever was. If we did doubt him then it was a questionable viewpoint.

C. We could have kept Brissett because he's got much better upside than Brian Hoyer ever had and I don't care much for the "he's a bad fit for our offense" theory. In case nobody noticed, we're a vertical offense now and Brissett throws laser beams. Hoyer throws dust beams. Trading Jacoby away for a donut hole named Dorsett makes no sense whatsover and never did. I simply choose to believe that Brissett has more value than some people do based on what I've seen him do. Feel free to correct me by this time next year based on where he is as a QB. I'm not too worried.

That about sums it up. I see lost opportunities to get better. We would be a better team right now if we did the above than what we did do.

In my completely amateurish and borderline heretical opinion, we screwed the pooch.

I concur.

I wanted Jimmy long term. But that possibility could’ve been determined back in April.

The ultimate shit sandwich for this week would be if TFB went down against Denver.

It's clear to me that Belichick is leaving when Brady retires. If these rumors or a Brady caused rift between BB and Kraft, I think Belichick is (forget the back 9) on probably the 17th hole.

I think it's going to be a historical mistake letting Garoppolo go. He's never going to be Brady (no one will), but he was going to be the guy to keep the machine going and probably win a Super Bowl or two.

A, what if the Browns offered a second (the Eagles pick) and their own third, a late second and an early third instead of a top second is pretty much a wash knowing how bill will trade the pick, plus McCarron is a restricted free agent next year so you won him for a season and a half. (If I was Cincy I trade Dalton)

B/C. I agree, I think they really tried to convince Jimmy to sign an extension and stay. I think they may have been close in late August and that was why Jacoby was sent but Tom's play convinced Jimmy it was time to move on if he ever wants 23 million a year. I can't blame Jimmy for wanting to move on. The ego driven need the spot light and all athletes have a high self image.

Something about Bill trading out of this past draft and not seeking picks makes me think he did not have much confidence in the players and decided to go after some questionable players who have talent, proved they Can do it, if motivated, as opposed to unproven college kids.

I think the lost opportunity is not Jimmy G, but Allen/Ealy/Gilmore and those types of moves.

Sign Ryan, he fits your system, trade for Cooks, but the rest seem to be lacking but signing Harris seems to have come alive- I wonder if injury early was an issue.

so let me get this straight the browns were going to send a 2 and a 3 to cincy for aj mccaron and the best the pats could do is get a 2 for JG. BB blew this one badly...

so let me get this straight the browns were going to send a 2 and a 3 to cincy for aj mccaron and the best the pats could do is get a 2 for JG. BB blew this one badly...

as has been stated, Jimmy G is an unrestricted FA after this year. McCarron isn't. That makes McCarron slightly more valuable.

A, what if the Browns offered a second (the Eagles pick) and their own third, a late second and an early third instead of a top second is pretty much a wash knowing how bill will trade the pick, plus McCarron is a restricted free agent next year so you won him for a season and a half. (If I was Cincy I trade Dalton)

B/C. I agree, I think they really tried to convince Jimmy to sign an extension and stay. I think they may have been close in late August and that was why Jacoby was sent but Tom's play convinced Jimmy it was time to move on if he ever wants 23 million a year. I can't blame Jimmy for wanting to move on. The ego driven need the spot light and all athletes have a high self image.

Something about Bill trading out of this past draft and not seeking picks makes me think he did not have much confidence in the players and decided to go after some questionable players who have talent, proved they Can do it, if motivated, as opposed to unproven college kids.

I think the lost opportunity is not Jimmy G, but Allen/Ealy/Gilmore and those types of moves.

Sign Ryan, he fits your system, trade for Cooks, but the rest seem to be lacking but signing Harris seems to have come alive- I wonder if injury early was an issue.

If it wasn't clear to all, I've always been a vocal supporter of Jimmy G. I think he has a chance to be special, but we couldn't pay both he and Tom and Brady simply wasn't ever going to quit or be traded. He is the Franchise and I concede he is probably better than Jimmy will ever be for at least this year and probably next.

I don't know how what the Pats could have done to keep both without completing hosing up the cap and that is not what we do.

Conclusion? We had to reluctantly kiss him goodbye, but keeping him until now and unloading him for a paltry 2nd round pick is ridiculous. Anybody that says that is a good return on his value is fvcking kidding themselves.

I hate that a lot of people seem to want to spin this that we had no choice in the matter. We definitely had a choice and made the wrong one. It was inevitable that he would be leaving us because there was really no viable way to get him signed and we waited too long.

We very likely tried to lowball him bigtime and he said "no thanks", which is what he had every right to do. I hope he does well out there, but it isn't going to be easy in the short term. He's in for some rough sledding on a bad team.

I just hope he hangs in there and doesn't lose his confidence until he can process a new system and they can build an offense around what he can bring.

Kittle and Trent Taylor are a good start from what I've seen, but they need a lot more help.

In any case, the "Jimmy G. sucks in practice" crew should be licking their chops for the remainder of this season, because he will likely struggle. For now. Enjoy it while it lasts, kiddies.

Conclusion? We had to reluctantly kiss him goodbye, but keeping him until now and unloading him for a paltry 2nd round pick is ridiculous. Anybody that says that is a good return on his value is fvcking kidding themselves.

I hate that a lot of people seem to want to spin this that we had no choice in the matter. We definitely had a choice and made the wrong one. It was inevitable that he would be leaving us because there was really no viable way to get him signed and we waited too long.
Yep. To me this is the obvious blunder. But some will make excuses for BB no matter what.

If it wasn't clear to all, I've always been a vocal supporter of Jimmy G. I think he has a chance to be special, but we couldn't pay both he and Tom and Brady simply wasn't ever going to quit or be traded. He is the Franchise and I concede he is probably better than Jimmy will ever be for at least this year and probably next.

I don't know how what the Pats could have done to keep both without completing hosing up the cap and that is not what we do.

We very likely tried to lowball him bigtime and he said "no thanks", which is what he had every right to do. I hope he does well out there, but it isn't going to be easy in the short term. He's in for some rough sledding on a bad team.

I just hope he hangs in there and doesn't lose his confidence until he can process a new system and they can build an offense around what he can bring.

Kittle and Trent Taylor are a good start from what I've seen, but they need a lot more help.

In any case, the "Jimmy G. sucks in practice" crew should be licking their chops for the remainder of this season, because he will likely struggle. For now. Enjoy it while it lasts, kiddies.
We both are all for Jimmy, I hope he plays well against 30 other team, loses to the Pats every time we play him.

I agree a second seems low but Dilfer said there is no way a first is coming for him, Schefter was the voice claiming more. I am wondering what the bounty was that was bigger than the early 2nd round pick

Back