George Scott, R.I.P.

I met George Scott. I was 11 years old in 1967 and a friend of mine's Dad owned a Ford dealership that had a endorsement deal with Yaz. We went to a game and the friend's Dad with that connection got us into the Sox locker room. Pretty heady stuff for a star-struck little kid let me tell ya. All I really remember was that guy was HUGE at least by the standards of that time. Those guys were all smoking, swearing, and swilling beers the whole time I was there, probably 20-30 minutes or so.

RIP Boomer.....

There was something very,very, likable about him - loved his style. RIP Boomer.

George. I knew him pretty well but his story after baseball is sad so I'll keep this short. He had 2 of the meanest, biggest Rottweilers I've ever seen. Both were males and fought all the time but every time I suggested he neuter them he crossed his legs. Both dogs were covered in scars. His wife wouldn't let them in the house so he had to keep them in his big blue Ford van which he drove daily. It was a mess. He was grossly overweight and shifted his weight side to side on arthritic knees to walk. That was about 15 yrs ago.

A few yrs later I heard he was near destitute and coaching a JUCO baseball team in NH.

RIP

yaz_boomer.JPG

RIP Boomer

Loved the Boomer and the way he played first.

I was a huge Boomer fan and though I mostly just played pickup baseball as a kid, I thought he was the best, smoothest defensive first baseman I ever saw. Nobody scooped a ball out of the dirt like big George and I got the hang of it from studying him and picked more than a few that way.

I went to an otherwise non-descript game at Fenway once when a classic scenario presented itself. Sox down two with two on in the 9th and Scott at the plate. Two out and 3-2 count and the sellout crowd started chanting BOO-mer! BOO-mer! BOO-mer! and you could just see him digging in hard, feeding off the crowd and waggling his bat menacingly. It was an electric moment and then Boomer put one into the bleachers for a walkoff HR. Pandemonium.

Nobody ever had more fun playing baseball than that guy and the fans loved him.

He used to call home runs "taters" and would talk to his bats saying "you got any taters in you today?"

RIP, big guy.

He also had every kid in my neighborhood wearing those plastic batting helmets in the field..

He also had every kid in my neighborhood wearing those plastic batting helmets in the field..

Him and John Olerud are the only players that wore helmets while in the field. I read that Scott did it because he got hit in the head by an object tossed by a fan somewhere.

Him and John Olerud are the only players that wore helmets while in the field. I read that Scott did it because he got hit in the head by an object tossed by a fan somewhere.

According to Wiki:

To complement his unique attire, he also was known for wearing a batting helmet while fielding at first base due to an experience he had with a fan throwing hard objects at him once during a road game. Scott is one of several players, including Dick Allen and John Olerud, to wear his helmet when playing the field.

RIP boomer, you were my childhood favorite. And yes I also wore a Red Sox batters helmet back in the day.

You couldn't play wiffleball without one of those plastic batting helmets...

Assuming you could adjust that damn strap inside....

His performance in Patton, to me, ranks as perhaps the greatest ever.

The Sox never should have traded George Scott for those years in Milwaukee. From what I remember, he was a Red Sox killer when they were a division rival, and it sure as hell would have been nice to have had the Boomer in the lineup in the '75 series, when Jim Rice was out with a broken hand.

When he came back, I think Scott led the league with like 30 or 35 home runs at the all star break in '78, but then only hit like 3 more the rest of the way. That was unfortunate, because of the late season collapse and Bucky f*cking Dent, but over the years, George Scott was a joy to watch. Superb play at 1st base, a fan favorite, and he could hit the ball a mile.

R.I.P. Boomer

Back