Gosselin final 2011 mock

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
Here's Rick Gosselin's final 2011 mock, the one in which he actually predicts what he think will happen based on his inside info, and it's a stunner:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/nf...k-draft-cowboys-settle-on-ot-tyron-smith.ece

It's premium material, but the picks have been posted elsewhere. He has the Pats passing taking Cam Jordan for Cal (sorry Box) at 17 and passing on on Robert Quinn (20), JJ Watt (26) and Prince Amukamara (25), and taking OL Danny Watkins at 28. And he has 5 QBs going in the top 12 picks - so much for a late run on QBs.

The picks:

1. Carolina. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. Denver. Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
3. Buffalo. Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
4. Cincinnati. AJ Green, WR, Georgia
5. Arizona. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6. Cleveland. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7. San Francisco. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
8. Tennessee. Jake Locker, QB, Washington
9. Dallas. Tyron Smith, OT, USC
10. Washington. Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St.
11. Houston. Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
12. Minnesota. Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
13. Detroit. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
14. St. Louis. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
15. Miami. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
16. Jacksonville. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
17. New England. Cam Jordan, DE, Cal
18. San Diego. Corey Liuget, DE/DT, Illinois
19. NY Giants. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
20. Tampa Bay. Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
21. KC. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wiasconsin
22. Indianapolis. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
23. Philadelphia. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
24. New Orleans. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
25. Seattle. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
26. Baltimore. JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
27. Atlanta. Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
28. New England. Danny Watkins, OL, Baylor
29. Chicago. Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina.
30. New York Jets. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St.
31. Pittsburgh. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.
32. Green Bay. Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

No Da'Quan Bowers in the 1st. Hell, I'd take him at 33 and pair him with Cam Jordan.

Here's Rick Gosselin's final 2011 mock, the one in which he actually predicts what he think will happen based on his inside info, and it's a stunner:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/nfl-draft/20110428-rick-gosselin_s-final-mock-draft-cowboys-settle-on-ot-tyron-smith.ece

It's premium material, but the picks have been posted elsewhere. He has the Pats passing taking Cam Jordan for Cal (sorry Box) at 17 and passing on on Robert Quinn (20), JJ Watt (26) and Prince Amukamara (25), and taking OL Danny Watkins at 28. And he has 5 QBs going in the top 12 picks - so much for a late run on QBs.

The picks:

No Da'Quan Bowers in the 1st. Hell, I'd take him at 33 and pair him with Cam Jordan.

Did you notice Fairley paired with Suh! Formidable. I laughed as soon as I saw it. Good call.

If Bowers falls that far there's a good reason. There are a lot of good players BB can choose at 33. Ellis, Wilkerson, etc. I'm really pumped for this draft. It could be epic for the Pats and one we'll be talking about for years.

Hmmm. Watt to 26. I have a very hard time believing that but if it happens wouldn't we trade up a couple of spots to get him?

We could still get Watkins at 33 where there are going to be fewer trade offers anyway because of all the QBs going in the first.

I love this mock, not for the overdrafting of Jordan and Watkins, but for the fact NE rarely does the predictable and in a trade heavy draft (and folks can't tell me there won't be trades flying around the board with the predicted QB frenzy) BB is going to wind up with an interesting score card.

Of course if Bill does take Jordan, :banghead: he'd better be everything mayo is predicting. :harumph:

I love this mock, not for the overdrafting of Jordan and Watkins, but for the fact NE rarely does the predictable and in a trade heavy draft (and folks can't tell me there won't be trades flying around the board with the predicted QB frenzy) BB is going to wind up with an interesting score card.

Of course if Bill does take Jordan, :banghead: he'd better be everything mayo is predicting. :harumph:

Just curious, with that mock, who would you have taken at 17 and 28, Box.

That's the highest (12 to Minn.) that I've ever seen Andy Dalton mocked. He might be climbing faster than anyone this year, but that is still very high.

Thing is, I believe Dalton eventually will be a guy in the Matt Hasselbeck range of abilityand that is good enough to give the Vikes a shot before that team falls apart.

They aren't smart enough to do it, though.

I've read dozens of mocks that have them drafting various positional players, but they need a QB as badly as anybody.

Watt vs. Jordan will be interesting to see how their careers play out. If Gosselin were right, I'd love to see BB trade up and end up with both. That would be tremendous.

ps- No way Coughlin passes on Costanzo if he's there.

I agree, it's too predictable for the Pats, though I do see Jordan being a target.

Just curious, with that mock, who would you have taken at 17 and 28, Box.
With that mock? Well, I'd see if I could move up to #13 for Fairley. Assuming I got him, I'd sit tight at #28 and watch to see if Solder, Amukamara, or Clayborn slide to me. If none of them made it that far, I'd be looking to move down with Dowling or Ryan Williams as my "no trade" options.

If I could get down in the #35-40 range, I'd feel pretty good one of Watkins, Carpenter, or Ijalana would be there for me. #33 would be trade bait again, with Dowling and Williams as the alternatives, if I got my move down from #28, I'd probably stay and draft Williams (Green-Ellis hasn't signed his RFA tender yet).

Let's see, that makes it Fairley and Williams, with an OL in the high 30's. #60 would move as needed for Bailey. #74 would have been used to move to #13, with 6th/7th round change, so #93 would be moving for Jalil or Curtis Brown.

If all went well: DE, RB, OL, OLB, CB for the first two days. Leaving 125, 159, Detroit's #205 and maybe a future 6th, and possibly another 7th from the CB movement for WR, OL, OL, LB/S. :coffee:

With that mock? Well, I'd see if I could move up to #13 for Fairley. Assuming I got him, I'd sit tight at #28 and watch to see if Solder, Amukamara, or Clayborn slide to me. If none of them made it that far, I'd be looking to move down with Dowling or Ryan Williams as my "no trade" options.

If I could get down in the #35-40 range, I'd feel pretty good one of Watkins, Carpenter, or Ijalana would be there for me. #33 would be trade bait again, with Dowling and Williams as the alternatives, if I got my move down from #28, I'd probably stay and draft Williams (Green-Ellis hasn't signed his RFA tender yet).

Let's see, that makes it Fairley and Williams, with an OL in the high 30's. #60 would move as needed for Bailey. #74 would have been used to move to #13, with 6th/7th round change, so #93 would be moving for Jalil or Curtis Brown.

If all went well: DE, RB, OL, OLB, CB for the first two days. Leaving 125, 159, Detroit's #205 and maybe a future 6th, and possibly another 7th from the CB movement for WR, OL, OL, LB/S. :coffee:

Thanks, Box. That's a very reasonable approach that all but 2 people here could live with. I'd love to see what BB could do with Fairley. I think I like LeShoure a little better than Williams overall but only by a bit.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/nf...k-draft-cowboys-settle-on-ot-tyron-smith.ece

The picks:

Rick Gosselin had 5 QBs going in the top 12, including Jake Locker to Tennessee at #8. 4 went in the top 12, including Locker to Tennessee. The man clearly knows what he's doing and has the best inside sources in the business. No one else came close to predicting that - not Mayock, not Lombardi, not Kiper, nobody.

What's funny about Gosselin's accuracy is that I read the other day where he said he never even watches film. He just listens to his sources. Obviously he has better ones than Tomase. :D

What's funny about Gosselin's accuracy is that I read the other day where he said he never even watches film. He just listens to his sources. Obviously he has better ones than Tomase. :D

If that's true, then he clearly understands his own job very well. It makes much more sense to be a reporter on Football, who asks the Pros for advice, than to be someone amateur who looks at the tape and tries to be a draft guru....

The Jake Locker mock pick, in particular, is very impressive. My jaw dropped when that pick was made....

If that's true, then he clearly understands his own job very well. It makes much more sense to be a reporter on Football, who asks the Pros for advice, than to be someone amateur who looks at the tape and tries to be a draft guru....

Well said. Reiss is at his best when he's reporting info from his contacts, and at his worst when he tries to be an analyst and independent thinker.

Gosselin got so many right. Unbelievable. Fairley to Detroit. You predicted that, MC.

It appears we couldn't have gotten Solder any later since Coughlin was ready to strike at 19.

Gosselin got so many right. Unbelievable. Fairley to Detroit. You predicted that, MC.

It appears we couldn't have gotten Solder any later since Coughlin was ready to strike at 19.

There were reports late last night that the Pats were worried that teams would trade up ahead of 17 for him. They apparently had him pegged as a top 10 talent.

There were reports late last night that the Pats were worried that teams would trade up ahead of 17 for him. They apparently had him pegged as a top 10 talent.
Which, if memory serves, is a very similar thing to what we heard about their "reach" on Vollmer 2 years ago. I'm pumped and jacked to see what Scar can do with this kid!

Which, if memory serves, is a very similar thing to what we heard about their "reach" on Vollmer 2 years ago. I'm pumped and jacked to see what Scar can do with this kid!

Yep - this pick has grown on me a lot.

Solder can be great, but I cant stop thinking how Jordan would have blended perfectly with this team or how much Prince on one side and McCourty on the other would have looked, too.

Solder can be great, but I cant stop thinking how Jordan would have blended perfectly with this team or how much Prince on one side and McCourty on the other would have looked, too.

Sure. I would have loved either option. But ultimately BB decided who he thought was the best player, and the best value, and I have to defer to him.

Drew Boylhart compares Nate Solder to Joe Thomas. Joe Thomas at #17 would be highway robbery.

Back